Retired UK citizens

Old Apr 25th 2013, 1:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retired UK citizens

Originally Posted by David_Ascher
...... is that $500k "investment" refundable in any way or just lost "entre money"? Cheers, David
The $500k is entirely at risk, you could get some of your money back, you could get it all back, it may even return a handsome profit, but given that you could lose the lot, you should think of it as lost. If you get it back, great! ....But don't make your plans assuming that you'll have a certain (whole or partial) return.

For example, there is one green card linked investment scheme up in Oregon (if I remember correctly) that is developing "green technology" to use rubbish for making fuel for vehicles, and also for generating electricity. After twenty years it is currently on its fourth "pilot plant"!

The web site some very rosy projections, that talk about the plans being certified by some organization and as "good as solid gold". Ask yourself, if the project was that good, and the potential for profits so great, wouldn't Wall St money be all over it? .... And after 20 years, shouldn't they have moved beyond multiple pilot plants? Investors in that scheme will get a green card and some promises, nothing more than that is certain.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 25th 2013 at 1:45 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

David_Ascher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Google EB5 schemes.

I spend $90 a year out of pocket at the 9 News Health Fair.

YMMV

There might be a temp retirement visa coming as part of CIR.
Boiler, I'd like to say that I understood your post but I didn't. You'll need to explain "9 News Health Fair", "YMMV" and "CIR". Remember, we're non-Americans. Cheers, David
Old Apr 25th 2013, 2:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Boiler, I'd like to say that I understood your post but I didn't. You'll need to explain "9 News Health Fair", "YMMV" and "CIR". Remember, we're non-Americans. Cheers, David
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary (in other words, what happened to Boiler might not happen to you in the same way.

Google the others.

Rene
Old Apr 25th 2013, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The $500k is entirely at risk, you could get some of your money back, you could get it all back, it may even return a handsome profit, but given that you could lose the lot, you should think of it as lost. If you get it back, great! ....But don't make your plans assuming that you'll have a certain (whole or partial) return.

For example, there is one green card linked investment scheme up in Oregon (if I remember correctly) that is developing "green technology" to use rubbish for making fuel for vehicles, and also for generating electricity. After twenty years it is currently on its fourth "pilot plant"!

The web site some very rosy projections, that talk about the plans being certified by some organization and as "good as solid gold". Ask yourself, if the project was that good, and the potential for profits so great, wouldn't Wall St money be all over it? .... And after 20 years, shouldn't they have moved beyond multiple pilot plants? Investors in that scheme will get a green card and some promises, nothing more than that is certain.
That's a fascinating reply. Many thanks for that. Who on earth decides the investment targets that you mention above? No Independent Financial Advisor that I have ever known would recommend such unsafe investments. Ludicrous! Why not invest that money in Govmnt Bonds at least ? This whole idea of trying to get into USA is beginning to lose much of it's appeal. Life's probably too short to beat yourself up in this way. Cheers, David
Old Apr 25th 2013, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

No Independent Financial Advisor that I have ever known would recommend such unsafe investments. Ludicrous! Why not invest that money in Govmnt Bonds at least ?
The investment is being made primarily to obtain the required status to live in the US, and not really to expect much in the way of monetary return. If you treat it more as a purchase than an investment then it makes it easier to handle that whilst you may not be getting any returns on the money spent, the main outcome of LPR status has been achieved.

Or at least that is how i see it.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here you are

http://www.9healthfair.org/

http://www.whicheb5.com/ Just one of numerous links, 500k but a long time getting it back and you may not get all of it back.

Obviously Medical costs can be a big issue, I guess I have been lucky, I do have the health check every year, I presume other States do something similar.

On the other hand just off to see a lady who used to work for me who is in Hospital, she has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. I presume her costs are being picked up by Medicare.

Unfortunately if it was treatable is where the big bucks would have come in, understand she will be moved to a Hospice.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

CIR = Comprhensive Immigration Reform. Also known as bill S. 744. It includes a "Y visa" for retirees who buy homes adding up to 500k, I believe.

The reason EB-5 investments are in certain projects only is that the ruels are you have to create 10 American jobs with the investment, and the government must pre-approve the projects and then prove that said jobs were actually created.

Depending on your country of birth, an E-2 visa may be an option if you invest in setting up your own business.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jxv73
CIR = Comprhensive Immigration Reform. Also known as bill S. 744. It includes a "Y visa" for retirees who buy homes adding up to 500k, I believe.

The reason EB-5 investments are in certain projects only is that the ruels are you have to create 10 American jobs with the investment, and the government must pre-approve the projects and then prove that said jobs were actually created.

Depending on your country of birth, an E-2 visa may be an option if you invest in setting up your own business.
Thanks jxv73. I retired 10 years ago so have no intention to start working and worrying again so the E-2 visa isn't an option for us. Maybe the Bill S.744/Y visa would suit although I don't think that a house that costs $500k or more would be the way most retired couples would want to go as it would be too big. I suppose that one could always sell it later and buy something a little more modest/smaller. This is good info tho so thanks again for this. I will investigate it as it sounds as though it may have been made for our circumstances. Cheers, David
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:05 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Mention of S.744/Y is pointless since even if it had not been killed by the events in Boston, it's unlikely to ever pass both houses in its current form.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
..... On the other hand just off to see a lady who used to work for me who is in Hospital, she has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. I presume her costs are being picked up by Medicare.

Unfortunately if it was treatable is where the big bucks would have come in, understand she will be moved to a Hospice.
For context on "big bucks" and medical bills, I spent three nights in a medium sized local hospital three years ago, spent the time on an antibiotics drip, and a short visit (about 30-40 minutes) to the operating theatre for minor (incision and drain) surgery on two skin ulcers - it is hard to imagine any surgery that would be quicker and easier. I left with a bill for over $20k , which was (only) 90% covered by insurance.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks jxv73. I retired 10 years ago so have no intention to start working and worrying again so the E-2 visa isn't an option for us. Maybe the Bill S.744/Y visa would suit although I don't think that a house that costs $500k or more would be the way most retired couples would want to go as it would be too big. I suppose that one could always sell it later and buy something a little more modest/smaller. This is good info tho so thanks again for this. I will investigate it as it sounds as though it may have been made for our circumstances. Cheers, David
Husband and I looked to move to the US when we "retired" at the ages of 51 and 52

We found there was no visa available to us just to live in the US, even though we had substantial money from a home we had just sold in the UK and also other investments. We were not looking to work and the investment visa did not appeal as we neither wanted to start a business/employ people etc etc or put that much money into a risky option.

At the most we found that as retirees the B2 visa allowed us to stay in the US for a max of 6 months.

In the end we did not retire, and I was lucky to get a transfer to the US with a work visa.

We have now been here for 10 years. With regard your statement about buying homes of 500K and over being not what most retirees would want to do, here in Southern California mostly anything less than that is probably in an areas you would not want to buy in. So you would need to choose your area carefully.

With regard medical insurance. Medicare costs husband 420 dollars a month - he has a Medigap supplementary plan so there are slightly cheaper options. Since he worked for 10 years in the US he does not have to pay for part of the coverage. You would not have this option so it would prove very expensive for you. My individual policy costs me 407 dollars per months.

The US is getting more expensive each year, so you should think long and hard about if its the best place to retire to.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
For context on "big bucks" and medical bills, I spent three nights in a medium sized local hospital three years ago, spent the time on an antibiotics drip, and a short visit (about 30-40 minutes) to the operating theatre for minor (incision and drain) surgery on two skin ulcers - it is hard to imagine any surgery that would be quicker and easier. I left with a bill for over $20k , which was (only) 90% covered by insurance.
The cost of medical care for a long term serious illness...even with medical insurance can run into hundreds of thousands of dollars.

SanDiegogirl...I agree $500K may not go very far if you wish to buy property in a nice safe neighbourhood. Also property taxes in said neighbourhoods could probably be well into 5 figures per year.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 25th 2013 at 5:31 pm. Reason: add another reply
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

I am just curious why you want to live in the US permanently if money isn't an issue. Couldn't you go there for 6 months and leave and enter next year? That's what many retired Canadians do, go somewhere warm in the US for the winter and come back for spring and summer.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

John_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidsk
I am just curious why you want to live in the US permanently if money isn't an issue. Couldn't you go there for 6 months and leave and enter next year? That's what many retired Canadians do, go somewhere warm in the US for the winter and come back for spring and summer.
That works for Canadians. Europeans and other nationalities have only 3 months on a Visa Waiver and using that too often can already be a problem (intent to immigrate without visa).
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_K.
That works for Canadians. Europeans and other nationalities have only 3 months on a Visa Waiver and using that too often can already be a problem (intent to immigrate without visa).
True, but most people of retirement age are able to get a B-2 visa which allows a 6-month stay in the USA.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.