Requirements for Oath Ceremony

Old Apr 4th 2006, 7:35 pm
britg

Default Requirements for Oath Ceremony

Friends:

The process of many years draws to a conclusion--I have my oath
ceremony on April 20. But, as always, just a few questions . . . .
The notification letter says that I should bring the letter itself and
the PR card.

1) The letter also says i should bring a Reentry Permit. Does that
mean my current UK passport with its various stamps?

2) I am also instructed to bring "any immigration documents that you
may have." Does that really mean that I have to transport the PODS
container full of USCIS documentation from my driveway to the
courthouse?

3) One final question. Once a citizen, which
authorities/institutions should I tell? I remember reading on this
board that one should tell Social Security. And, of course, i am
going to register to vote. But, is there anyone/anything else? Apart
from delighted family, and ecstatic dog (if he only did but know it),
who else needs to hear the good news?

Best,

Britg

Old Apr 5th 2006, 2:32 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Requirements for Oath Ceremony

Originally Posted by britg
1) The letter also says i should bring a Reentry Permit.
If you have one, bring it. If you don't have one, don't worry about it.

2) I am also instructed to bring "any immigration documents that you may have."
Bring only what's current. My guess is that's nothing other than your GC.

3) One final question. Once a citizen, which authorities/institutions should I tell?
First, a trip to the SSA to amend your status. Next, a trip to the court house to register to vote. Third, a trip to the post office to pick up a passport application. You will be required to submit your original certificate of naturalization, but it will be returned to you. No one else needs to be informed.

Ian
Old Apr 5th 2006, 2:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In NYS you don't register to vote at the courthouse but at the election board and/or can do it online.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

First, a trip to the SSA to amend your status. Next, a trip to the court house to register to vote. Third, a trip to the post office to pick up a passport application. You will be required to submit your original certificate of naturalization, but it will be returned to you. No one else needs to be informed.

Ian
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
In NYS you don't register to vote at the courthouse but at the election board and/or can do it online.
I must have missed the part where the OP indicated they were in NYS. Otherwise, feel free to interpret "court house" as "wherever is appropriate for your jurisdiction".

Ian
Old Apr 11th 2006, 1:08 pm
britg

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the help.

britg

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 03:17:41 +0000, ian-mstm
<member2954@british_expats.com> wrote:

>> In NYS you don't register to vote at the courthouse but at the
    >> election board and/or can do it online.
    >I must have missed the part where the OP indicated they were in NYS.
    >Otherwise, feel free to interpret "court house" as "wherever is
    >appropriate for your jurisdiction".
    >Ian

Old Apr 11th 2006, 4:35 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I must have missed the part where the OP indicated they were in NYS. Otherwise, feel free to interpret "court house" as "wherever is appropriate for your jurisdiction".

Ian
Like the DMV, in Virginia anyway.

~ Jenney
Old Apr 14th 2006, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Sussex Then Oregon Then Vancouver Now Colorado
Wildcat_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can someone clear up the reentry permit thing, what are they looking for ?

Ian
Old Apr 14th 2006, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wildcat_1
The OP is confused... the letter doesn't ask you to bring a reentry permit. It asks you bring a reentry permit *if* you have one. If you don't have one, don't worry about it.

Ian
Old Apr 14th 2006, 2:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wildcat_1

Just what the re-entry permit will show ... any trips that you have taken outside of the US since the interview.