Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Request For Help & Advise For 2016 Olympic Hopeful Please

Wikiposts

Request For Help & Advise For 2016 Olympic Hopeful Please

Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:54 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Request For Help & Advise For 2016 Olympic Hopeful Please

Originally Posted by ST_Fund
Mr xxxxxxx and xxxxxxx are not prohibited from applying for B-2 visas in order for a consular officer to review their case and advise them further.
Why does the letter from the consulate state B-2, if you've applied for a B-1?

Can anyone give me examples of evidence relating to the last paragraph which they showed to the embassy and was successfully accepted as strong social and economic ties to the United Kingdom as i would like to get everything as ready as i can for the interview and just need to get the documents ready!!
For example: A letter from your employer stating the specific date you are expected back at work, a letter from her school stating the specific date she is expected back in class, proof of funds to cover your stay in the USA (i.e. savings in the bank), proof that your spouse and other children are remaining behind in the UK, a letter from the coach in the USA which states this visit is temporary, with details about applying for an H3 in the near future, etc.

You didn't say when your interview date is, but honestly I'd have a consultation with an immigration attorney before going to this B1/B2 interview.

Rene
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Part of the B1/B2 travel visa includes this section which is what they quoted and told this applys to us by the London embassy
http://screencast.com/t/G1Mp9W8l

Then after being accepted for the team we would then return to the UK and apply for a H3 visa listed here with support by the petitoner (usa training venue)
http://screencast.com/t/FxOnR1STX

Both seen at this link
http://travel.state.gov/pdf/BusinessVisa.pdf

Please correct me if the London Embassy have quoted us the wrong visa category, the information was also discussed by London with the state senators secretary who helped formulate the letter of support from the senator sent us via the washington state senate in support of our training at this facility???
The London Embassy does not deal with Visa's. The Consulate is not there to provide you with advice, just to process your application.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You didn't say when your interview date is, but honestly I'd have a consultation with an immigration attorney before going to this B1/B2 interview.

Rene
we now have our interview which i have booked at the moment for the 7th sept 2012.

Plenty of time to get good legal advice.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:16 am
Just Joined

ST_Fund is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rene

I have checked all the info received from the embassy regarding our appointment 7th Sept 2012 none of it states which visa we are applying for but they have said in email documentation that "if we wish to apply for B-2 visas in order that a consular officer may review your case, you may do so."

so basically im at the mercy of the consular officer but will take all the paperwork that applys to this visa!!
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Please correct me if the London Embassy have quoted us the wrong visa category, the information was also discussed by London with the state senators secretary who helped formulate the letter of support from the senator sent us via the washington state senate in support of our training at this facility???
To be blunt, most British people that apply for B1/2 get rejected. The phone line or whatever says "yeah, go for that visa if you want to stay longer" but the reality is most people just get denied which comes as a massive shock to them and quite often they become indignant and start ranting. Then they have the problem that ESTA is also denied for a period of time. Thus, instead of getting 90 days visa-free, they now effectively are banned from the US for a period of time!

But yours is a rather unusual case, rarely if ever encountered on this forum, and involves a massive dream, so don't scrimp on an attorney by attempting to do it yourself. So I echo others here: get a GOOD attorney to do this properly! Good luck.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone give me examples of evidence relating to the last paragraph which they showed to the embassy and was successfully accepted as strong social and economic ties to the United Kingdom as i would like to get everything as ready as i can for the interview and just need to get the documents ready!!

Thanks again for your help and advise!!
For everyone it is different. You need to obtain every shred of proof that you can muster to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that there is no intent to attempt to stay in the US other than for the purpose of which you are applying.

So family, proof of marriage and kids and their schooling and the house in which you are maintaining and blah blah blah. Family is a big thing which will so along way to help.

You state about the job front that you are on a sabatical. Proof of this will also help

What financial commitments do you have back in the UK, including but not limited to property and investments.

Your itinerary from start to finish (Do not purchase tickets in hope the return ticket will suffice, never book tickets until you have the visa.)

Proof of funds to support yourselves for the duration

All of these on their own merit may not be sufficient, however combined they could strengthen your case of demonstrating your ties back to the UK.

As mentioned in your post. You will go into the meeting all ready suspected of immigrant intent, and you will need to change their opinion of you with all the evidence you can find. If you can not prove this, then they will retain their default impression and deny your application.

So sit down with the wife and kids and see what you can all think of. It might appear to be trivial to you, but it may have a good impression on the officer that is adjudicating your case. Other people may come along with other items you should think about as well.

Obviously check out Health Insurance and also the requirement for filing taxes in the US. You may find that you meet the requirements of the IRS for extended presence in the US and therefore liable for filing.

Good Luck and let us all know how you get on
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps bring proof that she will be returning to train with/compete for the GB team, ideally with specific dates. Just a layperson's opinion, but since sport seems to be such a big part of her life, I'd consider proof of her athletic commitments at home very valid.

Originally Posted by GeoffM
To be blunt, most British people that apply for B1/2 get rejected.
Most British people who are eligible for the VWP. It is not clear to me whether the OP and daughter still are, given their latest run-in at POE. If they are not, application for a B-1/2 seems perfectly reasonable.

ST_Fund, I will echo: consult with an attorney experienced in matters pertaining to athletes/training/competition. None of the training facilities in the US will make a jot of difference if she can't enter the country.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Charma1ne will become famous soon enoughCharma1ne will become famous soon enough

Copy of your mortgage is always handy for "ties to the UK" and it was something that was required in my visa case. If you are looking for a visa lawyer who will give you advice in the first instance i.e answering questions I can give you the names of two who are fantastic and come highly recommended from myself and many other people.

Cx
Old Aug 8th 2012, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charma1ne
Copy of your mortgage is always handy for "ties to the UK" and it was something that was required in my visa case. If you are looking for a visa lawyer who will give you advice in the first instance i.e answering questions I can give you the names of two who are fantastic and come highly recommended from myself and many other people.

Cx
With all respect, we had a mortgage on our UK house when we moved over here to the US and just paid it from here. Can't see it would be a strong tie to someone needing to go back.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Charma1ne will become famous soon enoughCharma1ne will become famous soon enough

My house + Family was all I needed to prove that I had significant ties to come home although my visa lawyer also wrote me a very nice letter stating I wouldnt over stay my visa. Just giving an answer based on my process.

Cx
Old Aug 8th 2012, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
Most British people who are eligible for the VWP.
I was trying to keep it simple!
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

ST_Fund is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning All

Thanks very much for all your replys, along with some great info above, do you think that a letter from GB sport would be good as we cannot compete for the USA anyway, also my passport shows we've been in and out of the USA 4 times in the last 1.5 years and never overstayed our visa so they can see we obey the rules.

Both our visa waivers were cancelled because i let my daughter interact socially with the local school for a few hours a day even though she was home schooled, i just didn't want her to become a recluse as the training is twice a day so its impossible for her to attend normal school hours.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 1:18 am
Account Closed

Odd wnen you watch the Olympics they list out the colleges associated with the US participants.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

do you think that a letter from GB sport would be good .

if the letter demonstrates strong ties to the UK then it will not hurt. If it just says she competes for us then no it will not help. Many UK athletes live on foreign soil and return for events. Check out Mo who recently won the 10000 meters gold as a prime example.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 10:41 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavidLemon
I thought client confidentiality was a one way thing owned by the client not the lawyer? Therefore the lawyer can not say a word but the client can tell whomever they please. Or have i got that completely wrong?
You are absolutely right, the privilege belongs to the client. The client has every right to share the information that the attorney gave him with everyone whom he wishes to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.