Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Renewing a Visa Waiver by crossing into Canada

Wikiposts

Renewing a Visa Waiver by crossing into Canada

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:36 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing a Visa Waiver by crossing into Canada

Originally Posted by taximoo
No one has actually answered the original question.
thats because short of predicting the future and being able to tell you what the poe person decides when you try it - we dont know!

BEAR IN MIND the waiver is to allow a short time in the country for a non working visit. doing what you suggest is trying to circumvent that specified limit. It is against the SPIRIT of the rules even if it isnt specifically mentioned.

YOU may be lucky OR you may not.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Crossing into Canada can sometimes be easy and sometimes not. We used to live v. near the border and would go into Canada shopping etc. Sometimes they didn't even look at my passport. When we have been over to renew our visas( which we have done several times) they have asked to see appointment letters, hotel reservations etc. and have asked if we have funds to get back to the UK if our visa is denied.
I know what you're talking about is different than what I'm refering you to, but I don't want you to think that crossing into Canada is a walk in the park...and then coming back into the US the questioning is ten times as rigorous.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purgatorio99
Hello,

My Visa Waiver expires a couple of weeks and on the last day I've been hoping to cross into Canada then start a new Waiver on my return a few days later.

I've done a lot of research about this over the last few days and the consensus amongst people who've tried this seems to be that it's not a good idea.

Respondents in other forums have pointed to ambiguous guidelines on US embassy sites, which on the one hand state that travelling to Canada or Mexico during the 90 days won't lead to an extension, and on the other state that travellers can enter any number of times and that entry over the land borders is permitted under this programme.

But what I haven't been able to find are any actual stories or reports from travellers who have been turned away while trying this. It doesn't seem likely that everyone who's ever considered this option has been dissuaded - and from what I know about public forums, people will normally post when they have problems or something to complain about. But there's a striking absence of horror stories on this issue. Which makes me think this is a valid option.

So what I'd like to know is if there's anyone who has crossed into Canada or Mexico at the end of their 90 days and started a fresh Visa Waiver on their return - or who knows of someone else who's done this?

Thanks!
We took my sister to Toronto by car. When we crossed into Canada the I-94 was not removed from her UK PP. When we were coming back into the US the Immigration Officer asked where the I-94 was...fortunately she found it in the bottom of her handbag.

If you ask them to remove it alarm bells are going to start ringing very loudly. Canadian Immigration really seem to be tightening up on people entering by road. Expect them to ask why you are entering Canada, where you are going and when will you be leaving...at the very least.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 23rd 2008 at 2:08 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

taximoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I was planning on going to South America as part of my world traveling and coming back to the states. I told the immigration officer upon arrival in the US in March that I had a plan ticket back home in September, and was planning on leaving half way through my trip. He seemed to think there was nothing wrong with this plan. After some research, I've found that one can travel to somewhere other than Canada, Mexico, and the adjacent islands and it will reset the 90 day VWP.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:15 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you ask them to remove it alarm bells are going to start ringing very loudly. Canadian Immigration really seem to be tightening up on people entering by road. Expect them to ask why you are entering Canada, where you are going and when will you be leaving...at the very least.
We've driven up to Canada about a couple of times a year since for the last few years and we've had the third degree* at the border every time. Maybe its the border crossings we use that are very thorough, but they've done it the same each time regardless of my then status in the US.

*ok, we're not talking shut in a room here, just a fair few questions rather than just a quick wave though.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
We've driven up to Canada about a couple of times a year since for the last few years and we've had the third degree* at the border every time. Maybe its the border crossings we use that are very thorough, but they've done it the same each time regardless of my then status in the US.

*ok, we're not talking shut in a room here, just a fair few questions rather than just a quick wave though.
The OP's original post was made at the end of Feb...she said she only had a few weeks left on the WVP...I wonder what happened to her?
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:07 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

as she as not been back to tell us the good news im assuming plan was abandonded or didnt quite go so well......
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:09 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

I was planning on going to South America as part of my world traveling and coming back to the states. I told the immigration officer upon arrival in the US in March that I had a plan ticket back home in September, and was planning on leaving half way through my trip. He seemed to think there was nothing wrong with this plan. After some research, I've found that one can travel to somewhere other than Canada, Mexico, and the adjacent islands and it will reset the 90 day VWP.
south america isnt canada.

if you do take a trip at the end of the current vwp and are away a few day then it really comes down to the officer who greets you back for a brand new vwp trip. we have heard stories of it going both ways so its up to you to take the risk. I wouldnt want to chance being turned back.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 5:46 am
Just Joined

taximoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
I don't think there is a 'solid' answer. You would be, as always, at the pleasure of the CBP agent working the door that day, and when he sees that you just spent 90 days in the US, left, but not went home and came right back AND that your return ticket was for 6 months to start with?
I haven't found them to be particularly forgiving that way.

Why have you planned your travel like this?
dear meauxna.
thank you for replying to my question.
i have planed my trip this way because i am going to south america for two weeks, a week befor my 90 days are over, and then i want to come back and travel for another 85 days before going back home and starting a new job, i am jenuanly doing some world traveling, and i dont want to come live here! i want to know if you think it will be possible to come back, or do you think they will refuse me, i am asking because it seems like you know what you are talking about, and i want to know if i should make a plan b'. this is the first time i have used the waiver visa, comming back from south america will be the 2nd time....
Old Apr 24th 2008, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone already told you - there is no answer. I'm sure that being able to show sufficient documentation to prove your story will help, but nobody can tell you if you will be successful or not.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 5:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Everyone already told you - there is no answer. I'm sure that being able to show sufficient documentation to prove your story will help, but nobody can tell you if you will be successful or not.
...and make sure you have a plan B.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

i am jenuanly doing some world traveling, and i dont want to come live here!
Make sure you have proof that you do not intend to live in the USA, so you can show it at the POE if asked.

i want to know if you think it will be possible to come back, or do you think they will refuse me,
It's possible you will be admitted, and it's also possible that you'll be refused. There is NO way any of us on here would know the outcome of YOUR particular scenario. It's all up to the POE officer, no matter what we say on here. We could say yes, you are 100% guaranteed to be allowed to come back, and yet the POE officer could still say no. Or, we could say it's 100% guaranteed that you will be refused, but the POE officer could let you in. So the best we can do is say it's about 50/50 chance, either you are admitted again or you are refused.

and i want to know if i should make a plan b'.
YES! Always have a Plan B, just in case!

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

dear meauxna.
i have planed my trip this way because i am going to south america for two weeks, a week befor my 90 days are over, and then i want to come back and travel for another 85 days before going back home and starting a new job, i am jenuanly doing some world traveling, and i dont want to come live here! i want to know if you think it will be possible to come back, or do you think they will refuse me, i am asking because it seems like you know what you are talking about, and i want to know if i should make a plan b'. this is the first time i have used the waiver visa, comming back from south america will be the 2nd time....
Yes, well South America is VERY different than going to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean.
How long will you be in SA? Big place! oh.. sorry, two weeks. hmmm.

A planned itinerary of some sort in the US would probably be helpful.

Of course it is *possible* that you will be re-admitted. Whether or not you *will* be is an unanswerable question. All you can do is the best you can, and definitely be prepared to make your way back to the UK if you are denied entry.

When I was traveling more, I met lots of people who took long breaks like this--I was one of them--and traveled in and out of the US. Part of it is simply being a savvy traveler, prepared for whatever may come, having funds available to you and a semblance of a plan. And don't look like a dirty hippy bum when you show up at the border. That always helps.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:14 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

hey - if i ask the same question over and over and over - will I get the same answer too?
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:17 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

dear meauxna.
So when you arrived did you have a return or foward ticket
on you that was pre-booked to use before the 90 days
as required with a visa waiver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.