Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Renewing driving license whilst appling for I-751

Renewing driving license whilst appling for I-751

Old May 3rd 2021, 12:03 am
Ongoing K1 Visa

Trilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewing driving license whilst appling for I-751

I was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with renewing a drivers license when you will not be able to show you will have been granted stay in the US for 12 months?

My license runs out on June 25th but my Green card is valid until August 7th. I believe that the RMV needs to see proof that you have been granted to stay in the US for at least 12 months for them to issue you with a new license. Obviously I will be sending my I-751 off in the next week or so but will have to wait for the notification letter of them receiving my package to be granted a new license. Has anyone had any dealings with the MA RMV being able to at least renew a drivers license to at least the date the Green Card runs out? Typically we had a trip planned to visit family which may now have to be changed to a fly scenario due to not being able to share the long haul of driving.
Old May 3rd 2021, 2:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing driving license whilst appling for I-751

Just curious why your license expires so far ahead of your green card? What is the June expiration based on?

Rene
Old May 3rd 2021, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the length of the grant of stay has to be at least 12 months from the time of the grant, but you do not need to have at least 12 months remaining in your stay at the time get a Massachusetts driver's license. (And, in any case, I think this only applies to nonimmigrants, not permanent residents like you.)
Old May 3rd 2021, 12:11 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought you will received the 18 month extension letter before your current license expires, allowing you to renew it.
Old May 3rd 2021, 12:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

His license expires on June 25, 2021. His green card on August 7, 2021. There are 50 days between them. He needs to apply for his ROC this month in hopes of receiving the I-797 Notification of Extension for 18 months before June 25th to take with him to the DMV. At most his license will be extended for 18 months. Highly doubtful that DMV will add the 50 days between June 25 and August 7 to the 18 months.