Default Renewing Canadian passport

Hello,

My Canadian passport is coming up for renewal and as I am residing in the
US, I am wondering if anyone here knows what form I need to fill out and
where I need to send it to.

Thanks for any assistance!

Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:38 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing Canadian passport

Originally posted by Peter
My Canadian passport is coming up for renewal and as I am residing in the US, I am wondering if anyone here knows what form I need to fill out and where I need to send it to.
Canada does not renew passports - they only issue new ones. The regulations have changed recently so be sure to get the most recent passport form. You can download the most recent PDF file from the Canadian Passport Office at http://www.ppt.gc.ca/online_forms/index_e.asp. All the instructions are on the forms.

In addition to the application itself, you'll need to include any current passport you have, original proof of citizenship and photos. Good luck.

Ian
Old Jun 20th 2004, 2:09 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ian-mstm
Canada does not renew passports - they only issue new ones. The regulations have changed recently so be sure to get the most recent passport form. You can download the most recent PDF file from the Canadian Passport Office at http://www.ppt.gc.ca/online_forms/index_e.asp. All the instructions are on the forms.

In addition to the application itself, you'll need to include any current passport you have, original proof of citizenship and photos. Good luck.

Ian
As well as having your identity attested to by a professional in one of the professions listed on the instruction sheet. If you are living and residing in the US you cannot have it done at the Canadian Consulate but must send to Canada for the new passport. If you were born in Quebec you must have the new birth certificate. The one from the church is no usable. Your original documents and old passport will be returned to you along with the new passport.

Rete
Old Jun 20th 2004, 9:54 pm
Shelnew

Don't forget the fee and find a photo place that will do photos to the
Canadian passport specifications.
I'm just working on my 'renewal' now...

"Rete" <member167@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by ian-mstm
    > > Canada does not renew
    > passports - they only issue new ones. The regulations have changed
    > recently so be sure to get the most recent passport form. You can
    > download the most recent PDF file from the Canadian Passport Office at
    > http://www.ppt.gc.ca/online_forms/index_e.asp. All the
    > instructions are on the forms.
    > >
    > > In addition to the application
    > itself, you'll need to include any current passport you have, original
    > proof of citizenship and photos. Good luck.
    > >
    > > Ian
    > As well
    > as having your identity attested to by a professional in one of the
    > professions listed on the instruction sheet. If you are living and
    > residing in the US you cannot have it done at the Canadian Consulate but
    > must send to Canada for the new passport. If you were born in Quebec
    > you must have the new birth certificate. The one from the church is no
    > usable. Your original documents and old passport will be returned to
    > you along with the new passport.
    > Rete
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 21st 2004, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

kebuchan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Shelnew
Don't forget the fee and find a photo place that will do photos to the
Canadian passport specifications.
I'm just working on my 'renewal' now...

"Rete" <member167@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by ian-mstm
    > > Canada does not renew
    > passports - they only issue new ones. The regulations have changed
    > recently so be sure to get the most recent passport form. You can
    > download the most recent PDF file from the Canadian Passport Office at
    > http://www.ppt.gc.ca/online_forms/index_e.asp. All the
    > instructions are on the forms.
    > >
    > > In addition to the application
    > itself, you'll need to include any current passport you have, original
    > proof of citizenship and photos. Good luck.
    > >
    > > Ian
    > As well
    > as having your identity attested to by a professional in one of the
    > professions listed on the instruction sheet. If you are living and
    > residing in the US you cannot have it done at the Canadian Consulate but
    > must send to Canada for the new passport. If you were born in Quebec
    > you must have the new birth certificate. The one from the church is no
    > usable. Your original documents and old passport will be returned to
    > you along with the new passport.
    > Rete
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
I'm actually awaiting my new passport. I had to redo the pictures twice because the passport office didn't like them. Luckily I went in and dropped them off.

Once there was a slight bit of shadow, I can barely see it. Anyway I ran down the street to a photographer that they recommended but it was raining! I got another picture take but my hair was wet and a lil messy.. I had a strand going across my eyebrow.... they rejected it cuz they couldn't see my eyes clearly!!! *sigh* Anyways, eventually I got it "right".

Just a head's up, I didn't think they'd be that picky. And I was a hurry to get my renewed cuz my K-3 is in process and I'm in the US very often visiting my wife.... which I can't do right now until the passport shows up.

Actually, question for any fellow Canucks... do they ALWAYS send the passport to you via Registered/Courier? I'm not home but security at the Condo will grab any registered mail and call me about it. If it's just left in the mail box I won't know about until I get home... which wasn't going to be for a few days unless my passport showed up.

Thanks,

Kevin

PS - the BCIS processing dates isn't updated!! *hmph*
Old Jun 21st 2004, 12:55 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

They do if you are in the US. Don't know about delivery if you are living in Canada.

BTW you can cross the US/Can border without a passport. Driver's license will do it for you.

Rete

Originally posted by kebuchan
I'm actually awaiting my new passport. I had to redo the pictures twice because the passport office didn't like them. Luckily I went in and dropped them off.

Once there was a slight bit of shadow, I can barely see it. Anyway I ran down the street to a photographer that they recommended but it was raining! I got another picture take but my hair was wet and a lil messy.. I had a strand going across my eyebrow.... they rejected it cuz they couldn't see my eyes clearly!!! *sigh* Anyways, eventually I got it "right".

Just a head's up, I didn't think they'd be that picky. And I was a hurry to get my renewed cuz my K-3 is in process and I'm in the US very often visiting my wife.... which I can't do right now until the passport shows up.

Actually, question for any fellow Canucks... do they ALWAYS send the passport to you via Registered/Courier? I'm not home but security at the Condo will grab any registered mail and call me about it. If it's just left in the mail box I won't know about until I get home... which wasn't going to be for a few days unless my passport showed up.

Thanks,

Kevin

PS - the BCIS processing dates isn't updated!! *hmph*
Old Jun 21st 2004, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Quyrah_RV is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my Canadian Passport renewed by postal and it was very painless and quick. I sent it off to Ottawa if I'm not mistaken by courier. I filled out all the paperwork and I took a copy of my old passport for my keeping cause I didn't know if we got it back or not. Sent off papers with my old passport and voila! got new passport and old one with a bunch of holes punched through it to invalidate it. So go for it. It takes maybe a couple of weeks via express. I used my credit card because with the exchange values, it came out less than trying to convert money over, etc. etc. etc. Plus we live in a small town that doesn't know how to convert US money over to Canadian any more than they know what poutine is! (French fries with cheese & gravy for those of you who don't know) Anyway, It went by fast and I had no trouble.

Best of luck

Quyrah (formerly Mtl, now TN)
RV (formerly TX, now TN)

Originally posted by Peter
Hello,

My Canadian passport is coming up for renewal and as I am residing in the
US, I am wondering if anyone here knows what form I need to fill out and
where I need to send it to.

Thanks for any assistance!