Renewal of work permit

Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewal of work permit

Originally Posted by heather123
Thanks Noorah, so just to confirm is it just the I-765 application that my husband needs to file?
If your husband is on an L-1 visa, that is a work visa in and of itself. He does not need an EAD to be eligible to work, so he does not need to file an I-765. If you and the kids don't want to work, then you also don't need an EAD, and don't need to file an I-765.

So my guess is that when you say "work permit", you are NOT referring to the EAD.

Rene
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly agree that it as to be done correctly the first time. We did he initial petition ourselves and get that all approved ok. I was just looking to see if anyone had done this before and what form they filed.
It sounds like you have a small company in the UK and started a branch in the US. Generally the L-1 visa in those cases are usually issued only for one year and then comes the difficult part try to get it renewed for an additional 3 years. There have been several on BE that have gone through that experience (some successful and others not).

I believe the following person (Flabound oneday) went through a similar experience and maybe you can search his threads to determine what to do.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=107991

Last edited by Michael; Sep 17th 2013 at 11:25 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

heather123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Had a look at the link you sent hungaryhorace and that is if the L visa has expired, our visas are valid until 2017 it is just the I-797b notice of action that need to be renewed
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

heather123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Noorah for your information, I think it looks like the I-129 will have to be filed. Thanks for your information Michael I will search the link you provided
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Had a look at the link you sent hungaryhorace and that is if the L visa has expired, our visas are valid until 2017 it is just the I-797b notice of action that need to be renewed
The visa is the travel document that lets you into the country - consulates seem to be stamping people for the maximum amount of time that that petition status allows now to save consulate trips. The petition is what gives him the authorization to work which is only valid for the year - your L1 petition will expire at the year end so you need to renew with a I-129.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:31 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

That the visa had expired is not relevant. You can be in the country legally on an expired visa, so long as your I-94 expiry date has not yet passed.

You need to renew the L1 using an I-129, and given the advice of Michael (and from that my immigration attorney supplied to me when I went through the L1 process) detailing potential troubles ahead in renewing a 'new office' L1, you would be very highly advised to seek professional advice in ensuring your extension is handled correctly.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Noorah for your information, I think it looks like the I-129 will have to be filed. Thanks for your information Michael I will search the link you provided
There have been several on BE that started a branch for a small business. Look at the threads he started as well as his posts in other threads since he has responded to others in a similar situation.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Is an EAD required to extend a work petition though? I was under the belief an I-129 would need to be filed again to extend?
EAD is the work permit, for the spouse.

EAD is separate to the L1 visa.