Renewal of work permit

Old Sep 17th 2013, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

heather123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewal of work permit

Hi
My husband is on an L1-A visa, the visa which was issued at the embassy in London UK is valid until 2017 but the work permit (I-797B) which was issued by the USCIS expires in Dec 2013 as ths was only granted for 1 year. Can anyone please tell me what form we fill out to renew this work permit? We have spoken with the USCIS and have been told on one occasion that we need to fill out a I-129 form and then on another occasion we have been told it is the I-765 form does anyone know which is correct ? Any help would be much appreciated
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:38 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewal of work permit

Originally Posted by heather123
Hi
My husband is on an L1-A visa, the visa which was issued at the embassy in London UK is valid until 2017 but the work permit (I-797B) which was issued by the USCIS expires in Dec 2013 as ths was only granted for 1 year. Can anyone please tell me what form we fill out to renew this work permit? We have spoken with the USCIS and have been told on one occasion that we need to fill out a I-129 form and then on another occasion we have been told it is the I-765 form does anyone know which is correct ? Any help would be much appreciated
Isn't this something your company attorney should be doing, given you cannot complete the form, your employer must.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

My husband is the director of the company so therefor he fills it out
Old Sep 17th 2013, 9:03 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is the director of the company so therefor he fills it out
Ah, ok. Well, even still, I would retain an immigration attorney to complete this for you. Just to ensure nothing is done incorrectly, especially as there are a lot of RFE's currently being issued for L1 petition extensions (according to my immigration attorney).

Last edited by hungryhorace; Sep 17th 2013 at 9:08 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 9:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Ah, ok. Well, even still, I would retain an immigration attorney to complete this for you. Just to ensure nothing is done incorrectly.
EAD form isn't that complicated though...

I-765
Old Sep 17th 2013, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Bob we have spoken at great length with the USCIS and the have told us it is definitely the I-129 my husband needs to complete & myself and the kids need to complete the I-539. I really wish it was the I-765 as this form is as straight forward as they come. We really can't understand why we have to do the I-129 when we already ave valid visas and it is just the notice of action from the USCIS we need renewed but I guess if they say it as to be done. Thanks for your help
Old Sep 17th 2013, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Bob we have spoken at great length with the USCIS and the have told us it is definitely the I-129 my husband needs to complete & myself and the kids need to complete the I-539. I really wish it was the I-765 as this form is as straight forward as they come. We really can't understand why we have to do the I-129 when we already ave valid visas and it is just the notice of action from the USCIS we need renewed but I guess if they say it as to be done. Thanks for your help
It is possible that you didn't speak to anyone at USCIS but instead to a third party contractor on the misinformation line. Even if you did speak to someone at USCIS, the information is often incorrect and they can't be held accountable. You should have at least a one time consultation with an immigration attorney since if things are done incorrectly, you will pay the consequences.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 10:47 pm
Banned

The visa is (largely) irrelevant though, it's the validity of the work petition that matters (for I-94 purposes). Your work petition is valid for 12 months, hence you now need to renew/extend it for another period of time. I would strongly urge you to use an immigration attorney for this, as if you get an RFE you are going to delay (or even put at risk) your petition approval.

I know this doesn't need to be said, but I will say it just in case: the art is to get the petition in correctly the first time round to ensure no justification for an RFE is able to be made.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

I certainly agree that it as to be done correctly the first time. We did he initial petition ourselves and get that all approved ok. I was just looking to see if anyone had done this before and what form they filed.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 10:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
EAD form isn't that complicated though...

I-765
Is an EAD required to extend a work petition though? I was under the belief an I-129 would need to be filed again to extend?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
"work permit" is too ambiguous. There is something called an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), which is obtained by filing an I-765 application. Is this what you need?

An I-129 is a visa petition, not a "work permit".

Rene
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Noorah, so just to confirm is it just the I-765 application that my husband needs to file? We have a valid US visa until 2017 but the initial notice of action from the USCIS (I-797b) is valid for1 year so that expires in December. Do you know if myself and the children have to apply for anything ( we do not want to work) or are our visa valid with my husband having work authorisation just like when he got the initial approval notice. Any advice/help would be much appreciated
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Noorah101
"work permit" is too ambiguous. There is something called an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), which is obtained by filing an I-765 application. Is this what you need?

An I-129 is a visa petition, not a "work permit".

Rene
From a quick search, an attorney confirms that an I-129 is required: http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/is...ba-304597.html
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:15 pm
Banned

Thanks Noorah, so just to confirm is it just the I-765 application that my husband needs to file? We have a valid US visa until 2017 but the initial notice of action from the USCIS (I-797b) is valid for1 year so that expires in December. Do you know if myself and the children have to apply for anything ( we do not want to work) or are our visa valid with my husband having work authorisation just like when he got the initial approval notice. Any advice/help would be much appreciated
Nothing is required on the part of you or your child once your husband's L1 petition is extended.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you hungaryhorace

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.