Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

renew liscence , g-845, Cleveland, ohio

Wikiposts

renew liscence , g-845, Cleveland, ohio

Old Mar 4th 2004, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

dhabud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default renew licence , g-845, Cleveland, ohio

Hi All

Following is my application details
Feb 4, 2004: mailed application for AOS(I-130, I-485, I-765) to cleveland local office
Feb 12, 2004 : recieved cash receipt from Cleveland USCIS
Feb 10, 2004: visited local office, they said it may take upto month to get me a EAD

BMV: Burea of Motor Vehicles

My Ohio drivers liscense(from F-1) expires on Mar 20, 2004. I went to my local BMV office and they said they require I-797 to renew my Liscence. I showed them my cash receipt from Cleveland USCIS(which says its a official document) But Ohio BMV wont take it. I know that cleveland local office does not send I-797.

So I visited Clevland USCIS, to expalin my situation and ask them to give me any documentation stating that my application is pending with them or an EAD. The officer told me that ask your BMV to send us g-845 Document verification request. They cannot issue me interim EAD until 90 days has passed.

Question:
Do I go have to go thro this procedure? What is this g-845. My F-1 status expries in 2 months. Will this be of any problem?

Secondly, I called local BMV, explaining what Immigration officer told. BMV says, they dont know any such thing as g-845 and they dont send anything to INS and cant do anything. Upon insisting, BMV gave me appointment for tomorrow to meet them and then they will INQUIRE with the Bigger BMV at Columbus about sending anything to INS.

Has anyone faced this? How did you resolve it?

Thank you for your responses in advance

Regards
Dhabud

Last edited by dhabud; Mar 5th 2004 at 2:05 am.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 2:54 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew liscence , g-845, Cleveland, ohio

Originally posted by dhabud
Hi All

Following is my application details
Feb 4, 2004: mailed application for AOS(I-130, I-485, I-765) to cleveland local office
Feb 12, 2004 : recieved cash receipt from Cleveland USCIS
Feb 10, 2004: visited local office, they said it may take upto month to get me a EAD

BMV: Burea of Motor Vehicles

My Ohio drivers liscense(from F-1) expires on Mar 20, 2004. I went to my local BMV office and they said they require I-797 to renew my Liscence. I showed them my cash receipt from Cleveland USCIS(which says its a official document) But Ohio BMV wont take it. I know that cleveland local office does not send I-797.

So I visited Clevland USCIS, to expalin my situation and ask them to give me any documentation stating that my application is pending with them or an EAD. The officer told me that ask your BMV to send us g-845 Document verification request. They cannot issue me interim EAD until 90 days has passed.

Question:
Do I go have to go thro this procedure? What is this g-845. My F-1 status expries in 2 months. Will this be of any problem?

Secondly, I called local BMV, explaining what Immigration officer told. BMV says, they dont know any such thing as g-845 and they dont send anything to INS and cant do anything. Upon insisting, BMV gave me appointment for tomorrow to meet them and then they will INQUIRE with the Bigger BMV at Columbus about sending anything to INS.

Has anyone faced this? How did you resolve it?

Thank you for your responses in advance

Regards
Dhabud
i had slightly the same problem with my license center. as my interim ead is only valid for one month. after my local office spoke with the main office of the license place they issued a license for 30 days and sent a form to the bcis for verification. so there is a form that can be sent to bcis. i had already spoke to the main office were they had a person that deals with immigration applicants so i new that a license could be issued although my local office at first refused as my 1-94w was expired and they said that they were unable to issue a license with an expired 1-94w even though i had the interim ead. and it was only after i asked them to speak to there main office that it was resolved.

Last edited by candy wy.; Mar 4th 2004 at 2:57 am.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

dhabud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: renew licence , g-845, Cleveland, ohio

In continuation to get my licence renewed. Next day morning, I went to Local Ohio BMV ofice . Explained them that Cleveland does not issue I-797 but only cashiers receipt.
The manager called their columbus office and they confirmed that Local USCIS dont issue I-797 and then she gave me 4 year licence but again it states non renewable and non transferable. Anyways I am happy becoz even with EAD on hand i would have gotton 1 year licence, instead this is 4 year licence.

Key is to being able to talk to manager and higher authorities.

Regards
Dhabud

Last edited by dhabud; Mar 5th 2004 at 4:50 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 3:01 am
I love my sailor.

Marjeta is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a good lesson and it shows that the BMV offices really don't usually know what they're doing.
I'm glad you got a 4 year DL. I only got a 1 year, yet the second time. But unfortunately a lot of people really don't have time to go from office to office day in and day out just so they can sort out their incompetence.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 3:18 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Question:
The G-845 is a Verification Request (Non-SAVE Agencies)

http://www.ilw.com/immigrants/forms/g-845fillable.pdf

print it out and show them what they have to do...
Old Mar 18th 2004, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Marjeta
That's a good lesson and it shows that the BMV offices really don't usually know what they're doing.
I'm glad you got a 4 year DL. I only got a 1 year, yet the second time. But unfortunately a lot of people really don't have time to go from office to office day in and day out just so they can sort out their incompetence.
Marjeta, maybe this will be of help to you? I don't know where you are in 'the system', but I think maybe you should have gotten a 4 year license also.

Elaine

>>> Non-Renewable/Non-Transferable Licenses To Be Issued For Those Who Can Prove Legal Presence

COLUMBUS, OH (May 15, 2002) - Beginning tomorrow, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) will issue non-renewable/non-transferable licenses and identification cards to non-U.S. citizens who can prove legal presence in the United States.

Senate Bill 184 states, individuals must prove they are U.S. Citizens before the BMV will issue a license or ID card. Non-U.S. citizens, who are here legally, will receive a non-renewable/non-transferable license or ID card for the amount of time Immigration and Naturalization Service documents allow them to be in the United States, but not more than four years. Governor Bob Taft signed SB 184 into law today and it goes into effect immediately.

"Due to September 11, the push to verify legal presence in the United States has become a priority," said Lt. Governor Maureen O'Connor, director of the Ohio Department of Public Safety. "This is one way the BMV can make a valuable contribution." Lt. Governor O'Connor spearheads Ohio's homeland security efforts.

If the individual will be in the U.S. for more than four years, a
four-year non-renewable/non-transferable license or ID card will be issued, even if the individual is under 21-years-old. The
non-renewable/non-transferable license or ID card can be replaced 90-days prior to its expiration - as long as the individual presents documents verifying their legal presence in the United States.

A non-renewable/non-transferable license allows individuals to drive in Ohio and other states, but it cannot be renewed or transferred to another state. The words "non-renewable and non-transferable" will appear on the driver license or ID card above the signature.

The BMV will implement the update in the law on Thursday, May 16, 2002