British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Renew I94 by walking across to Mexico & back? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/renew-i94-walking-across-mexico-back-894964/)

E2Brutus Apr 5th 2017 2:58 am

Renew I94 by walking across to Mexico & back?

As an E2 Visa holder with an i94 with less than a month left I need to leave the US and re-enter. If I cross to Los Algodones on a day trip is there an immigration officer that will reset my i94?

ian-mstm Apr 5th 2017 12:43 pm

Re: Renew I94 by walking across to Mexico & back?

Originally Posted by E2Brutus (Post 12221912)
If I cross to Los Algodones on a day trip is there an immigration officer that will reset my i94?

There's no way to know in advance if he will... but he should, yes. This is all on the assumption that your visa is still valid.

Ian

wisygreen Apr 5th 2017 4:21 pm

It is not guaranteed. We were told POE at Phoenix Airport that they will not renew your I94 if you visited a contiguous country for less than 5 days. However they did renew my daughters I94 as it was about to expire but only as a "favor". This was after a 3 day trip to Cabo.

ian-mstm Apr 5th 2017 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by wisygreen (Post 12222314)
We were told POE at Phoenix Airport that they will not renew your I94 if you visited a contiguous country for less than 5 days.

I'm not aware of a law that says that... so I can only assume he lied to you.

However they did renew my daughters I94 as it was about to expire but only as a "favor".
CBP officers aren't actually allowed to break the law... which leads me to believe there is no law, and he was simply trying to intimidate you.

This was after a 3 day trip to Cabo.
Did you actually have visas or were you travelling on ESTA/VWP?

Ian

wisygreen Apr 5th 2017 8:36 pm

Maybe he was trying to intimidate but as I said, he did renew my daughter's I94 which was about to expire. My point is that it is not guaranteed you will be able to renew.
We were traveling on an E2 treaty investor visa.

E2Brutus Apr 5th 2017 8:57 pm

Thank you. Last time I also took a 3 day trip to Cabo and they did renew my I94 at Phoenix, and at that time I had overstayed my prior I94 by about 60 days, but my E2 was still active. I was nervous, but I got it done. And I learned by lesson not to stay beyond my I94!

E2Brutus Apr 5th 2017 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12222182)
There's no way to know in advance if he will... but he should, yes. This is all on the assumption that your visa is still valid.

Ian

TY yes it is. An immigration attorney has told me that he thought I might have to go to a foreign country outside N.America, but he wasn't sure.

E2Brutus Apr 6th 2017 12:12 am

I have decided to go to Vancouver for 2 nights so let's see if that works. Apparently it's chilly!

ian-mstm Apr 6th 2017 1:04 am

Originally Posted by E2Brutus (Post 12222649)
I have decided to go to Vancouver for 2 nights so let's see if that works.

That's your choice, of course, but it seems like a complete waste of time.

Ian

E2Brutus Apr 6th 2017 4:29 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12222668)
That's your choice, of course, but it seems like a complete waste of time.

Ian

I choose this over Mexico as my wife doesn't want to drive 6 hours to the border. She'd rather see the sights of Vancouver. Any time keeping her happy is well spent!

tom169 Apr 6th 2017 11:03 am

Originally Posted by E2Brutus (Post 12222738)
I choose this over Mexico as my wife doesn't want to drive 6 hours to the border. She'd rather see the sights of Vancouver. Any time keeping her happy is well spent!

Vancouver is certainly on my list of places to see. Have fun.

ian-mstm Apr 6th 2017 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by E2Brutus (Post 12222738)
Any time keeping her happy is well spent!

Ah - well then, I agree 100%! :) Vancouver is a wonderful city.

Ian

CanadianSpruce Apr 6th 2017 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12222360)
I'm not aware of a law that says that... so I can only assume he lied to you.

CBP officers aren't actually allowed to break the law... which leads me to believe there is no law, and he was simply trying to intimidate you.

Did you actually have visas or were you travelling on ESTA/VWP?

Ian

Actually I can believe the 5 day policy as I've noticed that global entry machines will only issue a new i94 after a 5 day absence.

wisygreen Apr 6th 2017 10:56 pm

Are you flying or driving? Your question had me thinking so I looked into I94's a bit more. I did not realize that if you enter via land you apply for a provisional I94 online. https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/apply-document. I cannot find an answer to whether you can walk across the Mexican border but have always been told it is not an option. Interesting. Let us know how Canada goes.

ian-mstm Apr 6th 2017 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce (Post 12223313)
I've noticed that global entry machines will only issue a new i94 after a 5 day absence.

Fair enough. The problem, it seems, is with the machines' program - and needs to be fixed... by a CBP officer who can override the system.

Ian