Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Renew I94 by walking across to Mexico & back?

Renew I94 by walking across to Mexico & back?

Old Apr 6th 2017, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renew I94 by walking across to Mexico & back?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Fair enough. The problem, it seems, is with the machines' program - and needs to be fixed... by a CBP officer who can override the system.

Ian
The thing that always confuses me with the GE machines (and some of the new APC machines that print admission receipts) is that sometimes it will say you are admitted until so and so date but in reality it hasn't issued you a new I-94. Not sure what kind of recourse someone would have if they had a slip that said admit until October 2019 but their I-94 wasn't renewed and expired before that. Its not really and issue for me as I don't live in the US (just visiting from Canada under either B status on my Canadian passport (hence no I-94) or under the VWP under my British Passport, although I don't really use my UK passport anymore)
Old Apr 11th 2017, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

E2Brutus is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife had some medical issues restricting travel so my border trip is back on. I will be taking a day trip to Tijuana. I am not sure whether I will apply for the I94 provisionally online, I think it might be better just to see what happens at the border. If he doesn't extend by I94 I will still have a couple of weeks to have a longer exit. Hmm
Old Apr 12th 2017, 3:48 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E2Brutus
I had overstayed my prior I94 by about 60 days, but my E2 was still active.
Sounds like you were very fortunate because overstaying the I-94 voided the visa upon departure per 222(g) of the INA. The visa would remain void even with the subsequent admission. The I-94 must be valid throughout the period of stay regardless of the validity period of the visa.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

In the end I registered the I94 online in advance online and today walked into and out of Tijuana.

My I94 expires in under a month and my E2 Visa expires in two years. They refused to extend my I94, but admitted me with the same I94 as I had before which expires in under a month.

Here is what happened:

At the first desk the officer said his computer wasn't accepting the entry so I had to go to the back room for processing.

In the back room I was handled by five different officers because none of them could work out how to handle my entry or find my details in their system. I provided them with a print out of my existing I94, receipt of online payment for the new one I was hoping for, and the record of my last entry in Phoenix two years ago.

All the officers were really friendly and in the end the supervisor said that I94s cannot be issued to those entering from contiguous countries. I told him that I had previously been issued one when I entered at Phoenix from Los Cabos, but he said that flights are different because they trigger an automatic entry in the system.

I have to say these were the friendliest bunch of immigration officers I have ever know, and I left there not really minding that I didn't get the I94 because they were so nice!

So in conclusion, now I have to take a meaningful trip outside the USA in the next few weeks!
Old Apr 13th 2017, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

In the end I registered the I94 online in advance online and today walked into and out of Tijuana.

My I94 expires in under a month and my E2 Visa expires in two years. They refused to extend my I94, but admitted me with the same I94 as I had before which expires in under a month.

Here is what happened:

At the first desk the officer said his computer wasn't accepting the entry so I had to go to the back room for processing.

In the back room I was handled by five different officers because none of them could work out how to handle my entry or find my details in their system. I provided them with a print out of my existing I94, receipt of online payment for the new one I was hoping for, and the record of my last entry in Phoenix two years ago.

All the officers were really friendly and in the end the supervisor said that I94s cannot be issued to those entering from contiguous countries. I told him that I had previously been issued one when I entered at Phoenix from Los Cabos, but he said that flights are different because they trigger an automatic entry in the system.

I have to say these were the friendliest bunch of immigration officers I have ever know, and I left there not really minding that I didn't get the I94 because they were so nice!

So in conclusion, now I have to take a meaningful trip outside the USA in the next few weeks!
Useful info.

So if you fly out of US it doesn't matter if you fly to part of the contiguous land? Where as that doesn't work for land travel?

Must admit the idea of walking over the border to Tijuana sounds like something out of Breaking Bad but I'm sure like most things it wasn't as bad as one might imagine
Old Apr 13th 2017, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LouisB
Useful info.

So if you fly out of US it doesn't matter if you fly to part of the contiguous land? Where as that doesn't work for land travel?

Must admit the idea of walking over the border to Tijuana sounds like something out of Breaking Bad but I'm sure like most things it wasn't as bad as one might imagine
Yes, I asked that specifically and was told it is considered a meaningful exit if you fly there, but not if you walk or drive. He told me that if I have flown to SD airport instead of walked across the system would have extended the I94.

It was EXACTLY like the movies. I saw a guy with a warrant being arrested at the border, and three different people being cuffed. I also saw the Mexico border side forcing a homeless American woman back onto the US side because she wasn't their problem!
Old Apr 13th 2017, 2:50 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Here is what happened:

The contiguous territory requirement only applies to VWP/ESTA travel. The 'meaningful departure' regulations only apply for green card holders. Any departure of a non-immigrant makes them an applicant again.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
Any departure of a non-immigrant makes them an applicant again.
It sounds as though CBP were relying too much on the machines that, apparently, aren't properly programmed, or the officers were simply too lazy to check the regulations... or some combination thereof.

Ian
Old Apr 13th 2017, 3:38 pm
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It sounds as though CBP were relying too much on the machines that, apparently, aren't properly programmed, or the officers were simply too lazy to check the regulations... or some combination thereof.

Ian
It could be a local policy of cutting down their workload by deterring people from seeking to be processed at their busy border crossing.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

"The contiguous territory requirement only applies to VWP/ESTA travel. The 'meaningful departure' regulations only apply for green card holders. Any departure of a non-immigrant makes them an applicant again."

It is probably best I didn't point that out to them, or they may have decided to deny my application for being a smart ass :-)

I am flying to England for a week to see how the Queen is doing.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback. Say hello to the Queen for me.