Wikiposts

Relocating to Seattle.

Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Seattle.

Originally Posted by saucyboy
Please bare in mind that this is a international fortune 500 company so they will do things above board.
You understand, don't you, that a Fortune 500 company is merely a company that was included in Fortune magazine's top 500 list. It doesn't mean anything other than that. One way that companies make a lot of money for their shareholders (which is exactly what they're supposed to do) is by screwing their employees. It happens all the time. Enron was a Fortune 500 company.

Ian
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

i have asked the question but the company says they will get an external visa company to sort this out. Please bare in mind that this is a international fortune 500 company so they will do things above board.

Sb
Nobody is suggesting anything below board, but you need to speak directly with their Immigration LAWYER.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

saucyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this is getting very negative, this company is a blue chip international company in the league of IBM,Accenture etc.
There is a risk element in everything, they will be relocating me giving me a good wage with benefits, what more can I ask for.
I will post up what visa they decide to process once I know. please bare with me. any positive feed back welcome

Sb
Old Jul 4th 2007, 5:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is getting very negative, this company is a blue chip international company in the league of IBM,Accenture etc.
There is a risk element in everything, they will be relocating me giving me a good wage with benefits, what more can I ask for.
I will post up what visa they decide to process once I know. please bare with me. any positive feed back welcome

Sb
Positive feedback is, you will have a chance at getting an H1B visa next April, have a chance to come and work in the USA next October....beyond that, not much else to be said. Just bide your time and wait to see if you get the visa.

Rene
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

I agree with others regarding the visa allocation. No more H1B until April 2008 unless you are L1A ( a company transfer for managers and executive).
Regarding nice suburbs(cities) , I live in Eastside ,one of the neighbourhoods in West Bellevue. Very safe and fantastic family areas but $500K cannot buy you any houses here. Houses start from $900K.( small or rundown),bigger or new ones start at $2mil..$500K will give you 1-2 bedroom condo unit.

If you will be working in Tukwila, where Boeing is located, eastside is also good especially the South of Bellevue such as Newport, Newcastle,somerset , Eastgate. They are easily accessible via I-405 and I-5 freeways. Or if you are willing to travel farther, Kirkland especially waterfront downtown kirkland is famous for bars and restaurants for expats such as Brits and Aussies.
Let us know your budget either for rent or buy, we can recommend the areas.

Seattle is one of the friendliest cities I have been to in US. Drivers always give way.

Last edited by abboy; Jul 5th 2007 at 5:33 am.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

can i also ask it it easy to buy a car?, can i get a loan for a car if i have a permanent job?

Its easy if you buy with cash, very difficult to get a lease or loan without credit history.

can i get a credit card? what are the best banks to invest with?

Try credit union, its the best bet for newcomers.

accessing doctors if your ill, do you have to pay each time you visit or is it like uk, they see you and write you a prescription, its just i am asthmatic and need prescriptions for inhalers.

It depends on your medical insurance benefit from your company.

do i need to take driving test again or trade my uk license in for a usa license (you can do that in Canada)

Yes, you need to pass written (computer)and practical test.

if you think that i need to know anything else please let me know.

I think housing in expensive in seattle, but $500K is £250K in the uk so it may be relative.

Depending on what areas you will be staying, check my reply above.

BTW, negotiate on your leave , I negotiated mine to 6 weeks.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Default Relocating to Seattle.

Hi All,

I have been approved for a H1 by a company in texas so that should come through soon, but now this company in Seattle is offering me a better package, they said they will sort out all visas so I will leave it to them, yes they can't apply for a H1 until next year so when I find out what visa they intend to host I will post it up for your knowledge.
My budget for renting i'm not sure, upto $1000/pcm i suppose, is that too much or average. i'm looking for a furnished place in a safe area and can get easy access to work.
i'll check out the places above when i get there also using google earth to check out geography.
ABBOY - your 6 weeks leave did you insist on 6weeks ? how did they resond to that.
my fulltime employment here gives me 26 days so i was going to ask for the same.

SB
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Abboy one more thing

for driving test - do i need to hire a driving instructor ? can i get this manual to read up on driving test off the web?

Sb
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:15 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

My budget for renting i'm not sure, upto $1000/pcm i suppose, is that too much or average. i'm looking for a furnished place in a safe area and can get easy access to work.
not enough!! * As long as you are OK in a studio in Seattle, or elsewhere (if you're lucky enough to find one) Forget furnished its hard to get and at your budget..!!
A lot cheaper furnishing it yourself.
RE some commute times, Ballard etc is to far out over an hour, same with Kirkland (on Eastside).

RE driving no need to get instructor and yes you can do a lot on the web re learning rules of the road.
rules of road and helpful links

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1210.asp
http://www.dmv.org/wa-washington/dmv-guide.php

Re anymore time off..good luck OH wasn't successful, the hardest thing to negotiate IMO.

* sorry did not mean to sound rude as we asked you what your budget is, just wanted you to know what to expect, do some research into housing.. some links I gave as well as your own so you have some idea how much your $ will go. You said earlier you'd prefer a house and keep saying you want a safe neighbourhood, you won't get a house on that budget I am afraid (good area, nightlife etc).

Last edited by Irn-bru; Jul 6th 2007 at 12:53 am.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Hi

ok so whats the average price for a place ,
1. renting a 1 bedroom in a house
2. 1 bedroom condo
3. would it be better to buy a condo?

sb
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:00 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

ok so whats the average price for a place ,
1. renting a 1 bedroom in a house
2. 1 bedroom condo
3. would it be better to buy a condo?

sb
no 1) Haven't a clue as it would vary house to house and you'd be renting a room in someones home. But in the link there is classified area in the local paper

2) It depends where, if you look at the link I gave it will help as well as apartments .com etc that will help, but think for a 1 bed place at the heart of things (Seattle, Bellevue) it would be at least $1000, should get something OK at starting $1350 but have a look.

3) Yes, normally anywhere in the US the advice I read is no, as it doesn't appreciate as fast, but in the past few years here in downtown Seattle and Bellevue its the condos that have way outpaced homes. And the building phase is crazy and looks like that way for a while. But it really is at least $500,000 for a 1 bed in a good locale.

For you I think you'd prefer 'downtown' Seattle, Belltown etc. And the bus going to Tukwila is quite good I hear.

Last edited by Irn-bru; Jul 6th 2007 at 2:12 am.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Hi

thanx i will look into it... I appreciate the posts ...
its going to be a big learning curve... I suppose i'll learn from experience

Sb
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi All,

I have been approved for a H1 by a company in texas so that should come through soon, but now this company in Seattle is offering me a better package, they said they will sort out all visas so I will leave it to them, yes they can't apply for a H1 until next year so when I find out what visa they intend to host I will post it up for your knowledge.
i'll check out the places above when i get there also using google earth to check out geography.
ABBOY - your 6 weeks leave did you insist on 6weeks ? how did they resond to that.
my fulltime employment here gives me 26 days so i was going to ask for the same.

SB
Re budget for your rent, I agree with irn-bru , its abit low for the mentioned places.
I just realised you are single, downtown Seattle or downtown Bellevue seems better fit for you with lots of transport but you need to increase your budget for rent.

I have negotiated so many things from salary, return airfare, housing to leave, there are some trade off but I wont let go of the leave, I was offered 4 weeks leave but I "insisted and persisted "and wont sign the contract so finally they gave in.

Last edited by abboy; Jul 6th 2007 at 12:05 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

thanks guys, just one question if i am paying 1300-1500 for rent,does that included furnised and bills?

if not - is it cheap to furnish the flat? will i get a bed and wradrobe at the least?

above you mentioned a few things you negotiated such as holiday (i am asking for 26 days i got this here), travel , can you give me an adea of what else you negotiated

thanx

sb
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys, just one question if i am paying 1300-1500 for rent,does that included furnised and bills?
I doubt it'd be furnished... and that price may or may not include utilities... probably not.

Ian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.