Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Relocating with a joint residency order

Relocating with a joint residency order

Old Sep 19th 2018, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Mia81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating with a joint residency order

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help!! I'm looking to relocate to the States with my husband and children as he has been offered a fantastic opportunity for work. I have 3 kids, my eldest is with my ex and we have a joint residence order in place. He has regular contact, which I actively promote. Has anyone successfully relocated in these circumstances? The move is not being considered with intentions of cutting him out, I'm obviously willing to fly my child home for extended contact during school breaks. Any advice/guidance will be gratefully received 🙂
Old Sep 19th 2018, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating with a joint residency order

Get competent professional legal advice.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks Scott, I have an appointment next week � ����
Old Sep 19th 2018, 5:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I had to laugh as the way the header is broken up on the main board it reads that you are relocating with a joint ;-)
Old Sep 19th 2018, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Oh dear!! I didn't think that one through!
Old Sep 20th 2018, 2:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I clicked on it for that very reason, it intrigued me as to why you were asking about relocation with a joint.

You've posted this in the 'Rest of the World' section rather than the US section (I assume by 'States' you mean the US??), so I'll move it across for you now.

It would be worth you mentioning what visa your husband will be on when you do move, and the state you're moving to just in case that has a bearing.

Hope the forum pros can help, good luck.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 2:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it can be done. You simply need a legal document with the children's father allowing you to emigrate with them. It can be done by use of the services of an attorney/barrister or by court order. Since you are on good terms with him, it would seem that you are likely to get this agreement and that is all that is required by the US Consulate at the time of the visa interview and at the POE when entering the US.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, my husband will be on L1 visa (I think), a blanket work visa. I have a feeling my ex won't be forthcoming with agreeing to a move. I am hoping that he will but I have an appointment with a lawyer next week to put the necessary court papers together to file an application should it be needed. We are looking at either North Georgia or South Tennessee as his job is not far from the State line. I was hoping if anyone has had to go through the Courts to apply for thus would be able to share their experiences and give me some advice? Thank you � ����
Old Sep 20th 2018, 3:04 pm
Concierge

Several people have. Unfortunately, I don't recall that any of the current forum posters are any of them. You can try the advance search function to find their posts in the marriage-based visa forum as nearly all of them came here on marriage-based visas as they married Americans.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for that, I shall have a look now.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems unlikely a Court would agree if the stay behind parent is against it.
Old Sep 21st 2018, 11:37 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Seems unlikely a Court would agree if the stay behind parent is against it.
I agree with this. There are really no compelling reasons to go against the wishes of a (at your own admission) very involved parent. 'Because we want too' isn't going to fly.

Would you be prepared to accept the child being in the UK for all school holidays? Or paying for the father to fly out and spending holidays with them?

That's what it might take.
Old Sep 21st 2018, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Hi, yes I would be more than willing to fly her home for school holidays. The move is not something we are considering on a whim, my husband was facing redundancy which is why he has been over there temporary. He has now been offered a permanent contract, with a huge promotion. I'm not sure if it is relevant but she is almost 10 and I have been with my husband since she was 8 months old.
Old Sep 21st 2018, 11:56 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It’s not relevant, the only criteria is that he is the biological father.
Old Sep 21st 2018, 1:48 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by civilservant
It’s not relevant, the only criteria is that he is the biological father.
And that he is a hands on father who is very involved in his child's life. I truly understand the need and desire for your husband to accept this promotion and pursue the L visa. Now you have to decide if you and your daughter would be willing to reverse positions with her father and have her live with him during the school term and fly to you for the holidays and summer vacations?

Curious on what visa your husband is currently using to live and work in the US?