Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Relinquish Green card or go for Citizenship

Relinquish Green card or go for Citizenship

Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Cincyscot55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relinquish Green card or go for Citizenship

Whole family are British passport holders and have been green card holders for four years. Now offered a job in Middle East. Options (I think) are

- Abandon PR in order to take advantage of "tax free" package in Middle East. I knwo in future none of us will get another green card but would it be easy to visit USA again and would we need a visa or just British passport

- Apply for citizenship at 5 year anniversary making sure we are not out of USA too much in our final (fifth) year. This would mean paying US taxes forever although I'm aware there is a reasonable Forien Credit as well as specific country double tax agreements

- What is best and am I missing options. I'm okay in not getting agreen card again but don't want my children to have difficulty in getting into USA in future years even if it is just on vacation - THANK YOU
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relinquish Green card or go for Citizenship

Abandoning your green cards shouldn't cause problems with vacation travel. If you're not particularly attached to the idea of being able to live in the US in the future, I guess you need to try to predict whether the economy will implode worse/sooner in the Middle East vs the USA.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:59 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cincyscot55
Whole family are British passport holders and have been green card holders for four years. Now offered a job in Middle East. Options (I think) are

- Abandon PR in order to take advantage of "tax free" package in Middle East. I knwo in future none of us will get another green card but would it be easy to visit USA again and would we need a visa or just British passport

- Apply for citizenship at 5 year anniversary making sure we are not out of USA too much in our final (fifth) year. This would mean paying US taxes forever although I'm aware there is a reasonable Forien Credit as well as specific country double tax agreements

- What is best and am I missing options. I'm okay in not getting agreen card again but don't want my children to have difficulty in getting into USA in future years even if it is just on vacation - THANK YOU
Another option is to have only the non-working spouse seek US citizenship, which will help any children under 18 become US citizens. This will give you a lot more flexibility in the future and avoid any tax liability for the working spouse. And the US spouse can sponsor the non-US spouse in the future for a green card again, if necessary.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Cincyscot55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great thought but kids are all over 18 - I presume their resideency is determined both for green card and citizenship by their own movements. If we give up GC will they lose their GC - they have E10 status
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:12 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Great thought but kids are all over 18 - I presume their resideency is determined both for green card and citizenship by their own movements. If we give up GC will they lose their GC - they have E10 status
If they are over 18, I strongly recommend that they seek US citizenship on their own right and stay in the US until they have been naturalized. They will also be able to sponsor their parents for a green card after turning 21, if necessary.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you take up the job now, and leave the United States, it's not clear that you will be able to get U.S. citizenship even if you want to. Consult with an attorney if this is important, to see how the process could be managed and if there are any work-arounds.

Your options are:

1. Try to hold on to your green cards, but unless you keep a U.S. residence and return to the U.S. every 6-12 months, it may be difficult to do so long term. In addition, you're subject to U.S. federal (and possibly state) taxation and if you're in the Middle East, this will significantly impact your net income.

2. If you abandon your green cards, you can still visit the U.S. as a tourist later on - on the same basis as any other foreigner. As you have already said, you won't get your green cards back unless you qualify some other way.

If you see your future in the United States, your first priority should normally be to become U.S. citizens and then only then consider options to work in another country.

Or are you happy to return to the United Kingdom when your job in the Middle East is terminated.

Your children, if aged 18+, hold their green cards independently. Would you be happy in the situation arising if they remain in the U.S. and you are unable to live in the U.S. later on?
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Your children, if aged 18+, hold their green cards independently. Would you be happy in the situation arising if they remain in the U.S. and you are unable to live in the U.S. later on?
If that happened, the children could always petition for their parents as immediate relatives (once they turn 21).
Old Jan 26th 2013, 7:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
If that happened, the children could always petition for their parents as immediate relatives (once they turn 21).

Not if immigration laws are changed in the meantime - which is something that has happened (more difficult parent migration) in other countries.