Wikiposts

reentry via canada

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

bunny001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default reentry via canada

Hi,

I am on a 90-day visa waiver in the US and would like to know whether it is possible to extend it via a trip to Canada. Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

bunny
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 3:02 am
Just Joined

Default Re: reentry via canada

Hi,
I asked my BF to type the question last night an I think he coulda been a little more detailed..lol
We really have been doing tons of research but the answer to this question seems to escape up..
I have read the BCIS website stuff over and over again,but does anyone have any working knowledge of a third country national enentering through Canada?
Basically we have a trip planned mid september to Victoria Canada on the Clipper,when he reenters the country on our way home,will they reissue him a new visa waiver with some sort of a back date,it clearly states the old one muct be surrendered on the way out of the country..,and you are given only the remainder of the original visit,since to my knowledge all visa waivers are good for 90 days,I can only assume then they must have some way of making an adjustment to the re-enter date???
Also it says at the officers discretion a new one can be issued at the disrection of the officer if the person is traveling on a "signatory carrier"..To my understanding that is a commercial airline,normally,I suppose also some sea going vessels,that have an agreement with USA to return passengers if they arent admitted..Ive tried calling Victoria US immigration office many times and I just get a message to leave a message,this is the only advice the people at the Victoria Clipper can give..
Quite honestly we are just trying to get some time,there is alot of things we wanted to do when he was here this time and he would really like to stay through my birthday..
I know he can go back to germany and reenter that way,but we are just trying to save some money on airline tickets..I only live about 100 miles from the canadian border..
We are trying to do everything within the law,the last thing we want to do is get into any trouble,it just seems if it is at all possible to save money and air travel if at all possible.
Thank you so much in advance for reading,and any advice is greatly appreciated..
Bunny
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 3:54 am
Lucy

Default Re: reentry via canada

"bunny001" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    > I asked my BF to type the question last night an I think he coulda been
    > a little more detailed..lol
    > We really have been doing tons of research but the answer to this
    > question seems to escape up..
    > I have read the BCIS website stuff over and over again,but does anyone
    > have any working knowledge of a third country national enentering
    > through Canada?

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to extend your visa waiver by going to
Canada, but others will have more specific information about that.

When my dad was in the US visiting me on a visa waiver, we took a trip to
Canada for a few days. At immigration going into Canada they didn't even
take his I-94 - just stamped his passport. We were driving though, if that
makes a difference.

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 4:54 am
Just Joined

Hi well that does help some,thanks for your help!
It looked like the two options was to drive over and as it said you must surrender 1-94 etc,that new one would automatically be good..And answer sounds like actually they dont automatically take I-94,so it does also say if you are traveling on signatory carrier they can reissue a new visa waiver at the occifers discretion...Hopefully someone will have some experience with that!
Thanks!
Bunny