Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Reentry to US during grace period on J1

Reentry to US during grace period on J1

Old Jul 26th 2015, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Samzeh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reentry to US during grace period on J1

Hello,
I am currently working in upstate New York at a summer camp that ends on the 18th of August, meaning that my grace period ends on the 18th of September. However I am going to buy a car with a friend and we are going to road trip across the US, starting off in Canada as we are only a couple of hours away. I am going to be spending at least a week in Canada driving around and then back into the US to travel across. My question is what are the chances that I'll be allowed back in under the VWP? I have applied for an ESTA and had it approved so thats not an issue. I'll be showing the immigration officer my flights back which will go from California -> Montreal then to Newark a week later back to the United Kingdom as I'll be staying in Montreal with a friend, unless this will lower my chances of being allowed in. I'll also have the routes we are taking and can also show funds if need be. I just want to know whether you think I'll have any issues traveling back and whether I should apply for a B2 visa or if the ESTA would be enough. The flights from California back to Montreal would be around the 1st of October so this would only be around 2 weeks after my grace period ends. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reentry to US during grace period on J1

Originally Posted by Samzeh
I am going to buy a car with a friend...
This is likely a really stupid idea.

My question is what are the chances that I'll be allowed back in under the VWP?
No one here knows your chances of entry... that's entirely up to the CBP officer at the border. Except from what you've posted, we have no idea who you are, what ties you have to your home country, what criminal background you might have, what your travel history is... nothing! I'll give you 50/50 odds... you'll either be allowed to enter, or you won't.

I just want to know whether you think I'll have any issues traveling back and whether I should apply for a B2 visa or if the ESTA would be enough.
Don't apply for a B-2 if you already have an approved ESTA. A B-2 will neither improve nor harm your chances of entry... but if it's denied, you must redo ESTA and you must then declare the visa denial... and ESTA will likely also be denied at that point - and that'll very quickly put a damper on all of your travel plans.

Ian
Old Jul 26th 2015, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This is likely a really stupid idea.

No one here knows your chances of entry... that's entirely up to the CBP officer at the border. Except from what you've posted, we have no idea who you are, what ties you have to your home country, what criminal background you might have, what your travel history is... nothing! I'll give you 50/50 odds... you'll either be allowed to enter, or you won't.

Don't apply for a B-2 if you already have an approved ESTA. A B-2 will neither improve nor harm your chances of entry... but if it's denied, you must redo ESTA and you must then declare the visa denial... and ESTA will likely also be denied at that point - and that'll very quickly put a damper on all of your travel plans.

Ian
No criminal history, have family ties at home, was on the same exact visa last year with no issues at all, left with good standing. I rang up the organisation I applied through ( camp leaders) and they said it should be fine but I just wanted others opinions on the situation or anyone who was in similar shoes who were successful.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 10:36 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

On occasion, the Canadians will see the J-1 is almost up and deny entry to Canada. The U.S. can't admit someone as a tourist who didn't leave. So if Canada denies entry and there are 2 days left in the 30 you'll have 2 days to depart, or apply for a change off status by mail. If you try to depart and Canada bounces you back after the 30 days is up, that could have a big problem so count carefully.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 1:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg
On occasion, the Canadians will see the J-1 is almost up and deny entry to Canada. The U.S. can't admit someone as a tourist who didn't leave. So if Canada denies entry and there are 2 days left in the 30 you'll have 2 days to depart, or apply for a change off status by mail. If you try to depart and Canada bounces you back after the 30 days is up, that could have a big problem so count carefully.
I'll be entering Canada 3 weeks before my grace period ends so I don't think I'll be denied entry into Canada. My reasons for re entering the U.S. Are good but I just hate that it's at the discretion of the immigration officer at the time. I'm calling the immigration officers tomorrow so hopefully they can clear it up
Old Jul 27th 2015, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be entering Canada 3 weeks before my grace period ends so I don't think I'll be denied entry into Canada.
3 weeks isn't a long time.
My reasons for re entering the U.S. Are good
They may seem good to you but that doesn't matter.
but I just hate that it's at the discretion of the immigration officer at the time.
Well it is, so you had better get used to it.
I'm calling the immigration officers tomorrow so hopefully they can clear it up
Don't waste your time doing that - they aren't an advice service, and nothing that they tell you is going to make any difference to whether or not you actually will be allowed back into the U.S.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 3:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not understand the buying, registering, insuring car bit for a few weeks.

I really do not understand the odds bit, there being 2 outcomes does not mean they are equally likely. Otherwise I would be buying a lottery ticket
Old Jul 27th 2015, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

It was just an idea that we wanted to do to travel across the US and I figured I'm gonna want more then 30 days to do it comfortably so the ESTA would be very useful. I've spoken to the people who I applied to camp through (Camp Leaders) and they said it shouldn't be a problem, I just wanted to see what other peoples opinions are on it or if anyone has done the same kinda thing.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I've spoken to the people who I applied to camp through (Camp Leaders) and they said it shouldn't be a problem...
I would never ask my accountant about my teeth... so I'm not sure why you would ask Camp Leaders about US immigration. They, themselves, don't even communicate directly with US immigration... they have their own "visa sponsors" (whoever they are) who do that.

If I can make an observation, you're asking for help/advice - but, the truth is, no one other than the CBP officer at the border is going to know the answer for sure. Allowing you to enter the US is at his sole discretion... and it doesn't matter one iota what anyone else (even another immigration officer) says should happen or whether it "... shouldn't be a problem."

That all said, I don't think you'll have a problem... but I'm not the CBP officer!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jul 27th 2015 at 4:30 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:38 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

It was just an idea that we wanted to do to travel across the US and I figured I'm gonna want more then 30 days to do it comfortably so the ESTA would be very useful. I've spoken to the people who I applied to camp through (Camp Leaders) and they said it shouldn't be a problem, I just wanted to see what other peoples opinions are on it or if anyone has done the same kinda thing.
My younger brother cycled SF to NYC on a bicycle in under 2 months including staying in SF with friends of mine and spending about a week at my place in NYC (on visa waiver), so I think 1 month by car would be more than doable.