Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Reentering after I-551 Expiry, US Employer and Consulate (Kolkata, India) Mishandling

Wikiposts

Reentering after I-551 Expiry, US Employer and Consulate (Kolkata, India) Mishandling

Old Jul 20th 2001, 9:26 pm
Murthy Gandikota

There has been one reply to my post on what to do after I-551 (temporary evidence of
permanent residence) stamp on the passport expired and the employer terminated the
alien identified with Anumber on the I-551. The responder to my email address
[email protected] felt the reentry should be possible within one year of I-551 expiry.
And there could some $170 fine, for most Canadian ports.

What can one do if the US savings/checking bank account such as the First Union of
Atlanta, GA was frozen or rendered inoperative for the alien by the bank official for
want of ID matching their pre-formatted first and last names such as a green card if
not an older US driver's license? Will the USINS official at the port take cash only?
Is it possible to write a personal check on a US bank such as the First Union of
Atlanta, GA in anticipation of clearance?

Thanks for any responses.

--DMG

ps: Long live the King of the USA vowing " US exports products not problems"
apparently to alleviate the poverty in the third world.