Redundancy on L1A visa

Old Jul 3rd 2019, 3:07 am
Just Joined

NewJerseyAllStars is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Redundancy on L1A visa

I moved to the US less than a year ago but due to circumstances outside of my control I will be laid off at the end of the summer. I have done some research but it seems there is no alternative but for me to return to the UK. Is there any way that I could transfer my visa to another employer. Having taken most of the last year to establish myself here it is such a pain to have to move again back to the UK. Any ideas, suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 3:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Redundancy on L1A visa

Well you can not transfer a L, you could look for other employment with somebody who would sponsor you.
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 10:18 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You can look for an H1B sponsor, but that is your only hope to remain in the US.

(unless you have a US love interest that you are at the point of wanting to get married too, of course)
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Any potential employers that could sponsor an EB1C?
Old Jul 5th 2019, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
You can look for an H1B sponsor, but that is your only hope to remain in the US.

(unless you have a US love interest that you are at the point of wanting to get married too, of course)
But OP would still have to leave as s/he would be out of status once the L1 ends and would need now to wait until April for a willing employer to apply for the H-1B in the 2020 lottery. If successful, that would mean the OP would not be able to come back to the US before 1 Oct 2020...so that's probably not an option.
Old Jul 5th 2019, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some H1b's are not cap limited.
Old Jul 6th 2019, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

True: but then s/he'd need to find a not-for-profit/research institute to apply for an uncapped H-1b.
Old Jul 6th 2019, 3:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It's hoped that you had written into your contract that the company would pay the costs of moving your household items and family back to the UK.