Redundancy from H1B job

Old Nov 4th 2003, 11:08 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice
Default Redundancy from H1B job

Help!!!

I just got made redundant from my position I have held for a year on an H1B visa.

I have many questions but the most important are:

1) How long do I have in the country to find another job?
2) Can I legally take another position if I have one offered
3) Are the any free legal helplines that are avaliable to assist me with my status?

Thanks all, as you may understand, I am more than a little concerned at the moment...any help you can give would be great

Chris
Old Nov 4th 2003, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

steppke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Redundancy from H1B job

[I just got made redundant from my position I have held for a year on an H1B visa.

I have many questions but the most important are:

1) How long do I have in the country to find another job?
2) Can I legally take another position if I have one offered
3) Are the any free legal helplines that are avaliable to assist me with my status?

Thanks all, as you may understand, I am more than a little concerned at the moment...any help you can give would be great

Chris the first thing you should do, and don't waste a minute, is apply to change your status to visitor, whilst that is being processed you have legal status and a little breathing space. In California it usually takes around 4 months for them to process the application (which in all probability would be denied eventually) but, during this time you can sort yourself out and plan for the future. The official position is once you have lost your H1B job you are out of status and should leave the US straight away.

Good luck
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

abcd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Redundancy from H1B job

Or (in my opinion) better is go talk to some cvommunity college/university and get yourself admitted in some coursework and apply for F-1 visa. There is a strong chance (it was that way before) that you will be get F1 visa and then you can look for job...etc.....I understand keeping legal status is more important...

Chris the first thing you should do, and don't waste a minute, is apply to change your status to visitor, whilst that is being processed you have legal status and a little breathing space. In California it usually takes around 4 months for them to process the application (which in all probability would be denied eventually) but, during this time you can sort yourself out and plan for the future. The official position is once you have lost your H1B job you are out of status and should leave the US straight away.

Good luck [/QUOTE]