Redress

Old Jun 30th 2014, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Redress

Originally Posted by gorasahib
Firstly, why the need to keep pulling me?
Your question suggests that, perhaps, there's some specific reason why this is happening... when, in fact, there may not be. What was the gist of the questions you were asked during your most recent trip? Perhaps that will give you a clue as to why you were pulled into secondary.

If I was vetted for and got both a H1B and then a GC surely they have all the answers they need?
Why? If you have been in trouble since then, then it's not going to show up. Your prior vetting is simply that... prior vetting. Nothing to do with the here and now.

... if they can see that I've been let in before, why stop me again?
Because they don't know what you've been up to since the last admission.

Do they believe that something may have changed?
That'd be my first guess! The thing is, you can't prove that nothing has changed.

So, my question is: can I use the Redress system to overcome this?
You can certainly avail yourself of TRIP, but it's unclear whether your issues will be overcome. Still, there's nothing to lose.

Ian
Old Jun 30th 2014, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

For being pulled into secondary because I have an arrest from 30+ years ago. It just seems like a waste of time as the case was tossed and plenty of people get arrested and nothing further happens. I'd like to be able to get through immigration without having to go to secondary every time I come back in. I thought that was what the redress service was for. Is that incorrect?

Note: was an INS issue. Arrested, erroneously, for being out of status when, in fact, was already a long way down getting a green card which I got about a month after the arrest. The judge was quite annoyed that they had wasted the court's time by not showing some common sense. It was a very long time ago - not sure why it would still be an issue, especially if I was never convicted nor had my passport stamped or anything of that nature.

Just trying to find out if it is worth using the redress system for this.
I think if you had said this at the beginning we might not have spent so much time thinking/guessing you had lived in or had some connection to an Arabic/naughty/redflag raising/noflylist type nation.

My guess is that being an INS arrest it has lingered on your record like a turd on a shoe. Perhaps going through TRIPS may be of benefit. Though don't expect too much, from what I've read you just get a letter that says "Thank you for using TRIPS, we have looked at your record".
Old Jun 30th 2014, 11:29 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Had a client some years ago with the same thing. He had been placed in "exclusion" by INS at Honolulu Airport with extensive notations that he had obtained his LPR by fraud, allegations of criminal conduct and parole in for criminal prosecution and a trip to the immigration judge. AUSA declined to prosecute and IJ terminated proceedings in favor of client.

Done deal? Nope. Every time he traveled, he got the third degree at the various POE's.

Finally, he naturalized.

Done deal? Nope. His name kept popping up in the computer and the border people were wondering about fraudulent naturalization.

Finally, client worked out an informal deal, he always entered via PFI Toronto and would call them beforehand to give them a heads up.

Never did get that computer cleaned up.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 2:19 am
Just Joined

gorasahib is an unknown quantity at this point

Never assume anything ; makes an ass out of you.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 2:24 am
Just Joined

Ok, I'll give the redress a go. Nothing to lose. Actually, would there be any benefit in going through a lawyer or will that have no benefit and cost money for nothing?

Let me restate, just in case, that the arrest came to nothing and I have never otherwise been in any sort of trouble with the police.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Let me restate, just in case, that the arrest came to nothing and I have never otherwise been in any sort of trouble with the police.
From what you've written, it seems that you've had your GC for 30 years and in all that time, this is the first time you've gone to secondary since receiving your GC. Earlier you asked "... why the need to keep pulling me?" as though this is something that has happened repeatedly. TRIP is most often used when there has been repeated delays or referrals to secondary... but, seriously - once in 30 years? That's hardly something that needs redress.

Ian
Old Jul 1st 2014, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

No, new GC.

I said that because I don't expect it will stop unless and until something changes. He told me it was because they have tightened up again though I know they lie so ignore pretty much anything they tell me.

I never said it was once in 30 years. In fact, the real question is redress worth doing or should I just take it on the chin and build in the delay? Or is there any other way to stop them bothering me - it does seem like a waste of everyone's time.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

No, new GC.
Umm... that's not what you wrote.

You wrote, "I have an arrest from 30+ years ago." ... "Arrested, erroneously, for being out of status when, in fact, was already a long way down getting a green card which I got about a month after the arrest."

Now... to me, this says the arrest is 30+ years old and you got your GC a month after the arrest. Am I misinterpreting what you, yourself, wrote?

I never said it was once in 30 years.
Without further clarification, the above information indicates that this was, in fact, precisely what you said.

Or is there any other way to stop them bothering me - it does seem like a waste of everyone's time.
Excuse me? You think they're bothering you and it's a waste of time? What you call "bothering" and "a waste of everyone's time," I call US immigration rules and regulations... not to mention national security. I, for one, am glad that the CBP officer is at the door and on the job! No one is entitled to enter the US without scrutiny. With respect, I suggest you alter your attitude a bit.

Ian
Old Jul 1st 2014, 6:17 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect they don't want to keep talking to people who have overcome their problems. Perhaps they're wondering why you have an arrest record and want to see if you have any new arrests. You had a speed bump on the way to LPR status and administrative immigration arrests/violators go into the same criminal indexes as actual criminals. Redress may be able to fix this.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Everything I have written is factual. I have a new Green Card and, since giving up the first many years ago, have been stopped.

It is a waste of time since they have the information and only ever ask the same questions each and every time, make a pretense of writing some notes to that effect and pass me through. If that isn't a waste of time I don't know what is. What do you think they expect to have changed? Perhaps that I'll tell a different story form the same one I've told many times before for something that happened over 30 years ago? I understand what you say but that isn't doing his job - he's foisting it off to someone else who would be better served dealing with stuff that is more than an arrest that came to nothing but I appreciate your input.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

"Perhaps they're wondering why you have an arrest record and want to see if you have any new arrests."

They always seem to know exactly why I was arrested and it is as if they are testing me to see if my story will change. But I will try the redress system: must be worth a try.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 10:47 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

"Perhaps they're wondering why you have an arrest record and want to see if you have any new arrests."

They always seem to know exactly why I was arrested and it is as if they are testing me to see if my story will change. But I will try the redress system: must be worth a try.
I think you will be glad you did. It's possible that the people at the border can't update things, but the redress people may be able to. They may be "testing" you, but it's also possible they feel a need to ask you something after you've been hanging out waiting.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

I will try the redress system: must be worth a try.
Good luck to you - let us know how it goes!

Ian
Old Jul 1st 2014, 11:26 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, I still fail to see what OP is seeking "redress" of. It is inherent that when anyone travels foreign, they are subject to inspection when returning. Non-citizens even more than citizens. OP is submitting to inspection from what I can see. I see no way to avoid inspection on coming to the United States.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
By the way, I still fail to see what OP is seeking "redress" of. It is inherent that when anyone travels foreign, they are subject to inspection when returning. Non-citizens even more than citizens. OP is submitting to inspection from what I can see. I see no way to avoid inspection on coming to the United States.
I'm not trying to avoid inspection, I'm hoping to stop them sending me to secondary inspection every time I come back in. Apart from anything else, it is very stressful. One of the options on the redress form is exactly that situation so it can't be uncommon.