Redress

Old Jun 30th 2014, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

gorasahib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Redress

I had an arrest over 30 years ago but no conviction: the case was thrown out and it was not, in any case, a CIMT offence.

Prior to getting a GC I was pulled into secondary processing and questioned a couple of times. No real problem, always allowed in.

However, I returned from a UK vacation a few weeks ago and was, for the first time with my GC, referred to secondary processing. Again, kept me waiting for a bit but a few questions and I was on my way.

Firstly, why the need to keep pulling me? If I was vetted for and got both a H1B and then a GC surely they have all the answers they need? Failing that, if they can see that I've been let in before, why stop me again? Do they believe that something may have changed?

The officer told me to get citizenship as they would then not pull me in again. I replied that they told me that about the Green Card a couple of years ago. I know they are allowed to lie but what is the point in this instance? He offered the info, I didn't ask.

So, my question is: can I use the Redress system to overcome this? Does it work or will I simply make things worse? Is there any other approach I should take or is it something I have to live with until I get citizenship (another 3 years)?

Thanks
Old Jun 30th 2014, 8:14 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Redress

Go ahead and do the redress. Was the arrest in the US?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to guess a T country connection.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Yes: it was an INS issue that got tossed out of court but the arrest stayed on my record.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

I have no idea what a T country is. Are you referring to the tea growing regions of the world? In that case you would be incorrect. Perhaps you meant as in Yorkshire with "Ay, lads from t'north".
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

Just going by your username.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gorasahib
I had an arrest over 30 years ago but no conviction: the case was thrown out and it was not, in any case, a CIMT offence.

Prior to getting a GC I was pulled into secondary processing and questioned a couple of times. No real problem, always allowed in.

However, I returned from a UK vacation a few weeks ago and was, for the first time with my GC, referred to secondary processing. Again, kept me waiting for a bit but a few questions and I was on my way.

Firstly, why the need to keep pulling me? If I was vetted for and got both a H1B and then a GC surely they have all the answers they need? Failing that, if they can see that I've been let in before, why stop me again? Do they believe that something may have changed?

The officer told me to get citizenship as they would then not pull me in again. I replied that they told me that about the Green Card a couple of years ago. I know they are allowed to lie but what is the point in this instance? He offered the info, I didn't ask.

So, my question is: can I use the Redress system to overcome this? Does it work or will I simply make things worse? Is there any other approach I should take or is it something I have to live with until I get citizenship (another 3 years)?

Thanks
Redress for what? Curious minds would like to know.

BTW, J Fong mentioned being amused by the use of the word "surely" by the English. It is said in good humor seeing how his husband is English.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what a T country is. Are you referring to the tea growing regions of the world? In that case you would be incorrect. Perhaps you meant as in Yorkshire with "Ay, lads from t'north".
T is for Terrorist. Not that you are but that Boiler is guessing from your username that you might be "traveling while brown".

Question INS issue?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

Yorkshire was not my first thought.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Nickname: given to me by colleagues: apparently means "white master" or something else equally offensive.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

For being pulled into secondary because I have an arrest from 30+ years ago. It just seems like a waste of time as the case was tossed and plenty of people get arrested and nothing further happens. I'd like to be able to get through immigration without having to go to secondary every time I come back in. I thought that was what the redress service was for. Is that incorrect?

Note: was an INS issue. Arrested, erroneously, for being out of status when, in fact, was already a long way down getting a green card which I got about a month after the arrest. The judge was quite annoyed that they had wasted the court's time by not showing some common sense. It was a very long time ago - not sure why it would still be an issue, especially if I was never convicted nor had my passport stamped or anything of that nature.

Just trying to find out if it is worth using the redress system for this.

Last edited by gorasahib; Jun 30th 2014 at 10:47 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
T is for Terrorist. Not that you are but that Boiler is guessing from your username that you might be "traveling while brown".

Question INS issue?
There are even shades of user name now?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

I might be inclined to find out what it means or could mean!
Old Jun 30th 2014, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Nickname: given to me by colleagues: apparently means "white master" or something else equally offensive.
Urban Dictionary: gora
Old Jun 30th 2014, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

So like Gaijin. Or Gringo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.