The recent 90 day AOS threads.

Old Aug 24th 2008, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Frederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really nice
Default The recent 90 day AOS threads.

I didnt want to hijack them two threads, thus starting my own with a question if I may as Im a little worried now.

I married a USC back in Feb 08 and started my AOS with an attorney approx 1week after my VWP expired. My VWP expired on the 28 Feb 08. USCIS received my AOS package approx 1 month after my VWP had expired - mid to end of March 08.

Now, Ive already received my EAD and my parole papers.

My question is this, attorney mentioned that my short overstay ( also read in other places ) will be forgiven as I married a USC. However the paperwork wasnt put forward to the USCIS until approx 1 month into my overstay, will I be getting deported now at my green card interview?

Thanks.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 4:59 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The recent 90 day AOS threads.

Well...at least you're not in the 9th Circuit out there in Florida. Ask your lawyer what the risk is. And do please report back on what he said. Good luck BTW.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Frederick
I didnt want to hijack them two threads, thus starting my own with a question if I may as Im a little worried now.

I married a USC back in Feb 08 and started my AOS with an attorney approx 1week after my VWP expired. My VWP expired on the 28 Feb 08. USCIS received my AOS package approx 1 month after my VWP had expired - mid to end of March 08.

Now, Ive already received my EAD and my parole papers.

My question is this, attorney mentioned that my short overstay ( also read in other places ) will be forgiven as I married a USC. However the paperwork wasnt put forward to the USCIS until approx 1 month into my overstay, will I be getting deported now at my green card interview?

Thanks.
Hi:

We simply don't know. Was the unfortunate person in a rogue office? It happens. But we don't know.

It pays to remember that our discussion is based upon 9th Circuit law. The 9th Circuit is known for what is perceived as a pro-alien approach. In contrast, the 11th is known as one deferential to the government. However, they are also for the 'conservative' point of "no bullshit."

Also, there is a tendency of the Dark Forces to think the 9th Circuit is quite neat when they issue a decision adverse to the alien.

So, who knows. I'm sure you are going to call your attorney with your concern. You can mention my name. At least your attorney can prepare and not be sandbagged.

There is nothing wrong in being worried. At least your attorney will be able to prepare.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Frederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really nice

Thanks for the feedback. So applying for AOS after my 90 days, will this effect my chances at the GC interview?

From my reading and Googling, I gathered some say one should not exceed 90days for the AOS and some say that the USCIS forgives you - should you marry a USC that is. Like I mentioned my overstay was approx 1 month - the time USCIS acknowledged receipt of my AOS paperwork.

Side note. Some lawyers also seem to give conflicting advice, some say overstay dont matter some say its imperative to file before the 90 days.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback. So applying for AOS after my 90 days, will this effect my chances at the GC interview?

From my reading and Googling, I gathered some say one should not exceed 90days for the AOS and some say that the USCIS forgives you - should you marry a USC that is. Like I mentioned my overstay was approx 1 month - the time USCIS acknowledged receipt of my AOS paperwork.

Side note. Some lawyers also seem to give conflicting advice, some say overstay dont matter some say its imperative to file before the 90 days.
You're getting conflicting advice and stories, because there is not just one ruling on it. It's open to interpretation and each case is individual.

Rene
Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:18 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You're getting conflicting advice and stories, because there is not just one ruling on it. It's open to interpretation and each case is individual.

Rene
... and recent events have resulted in a state of flux.......... which basically means no one seems to know what the heck is going on...

What is done is done... and hopefully things will work out for those who have already filed.

But if it were me I would not go for the WVP Express in the current climate.............. until things (hopefully) settle down and become clearer.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Generally in the past such overstays appear to have been forgiven.

Now some cases have appeared in which they haven't.

So as other posters have said - now we have no idea what will happen. In your place, I would definitely mention Mr. F. to your attorney.

Good luck.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tracym
Generally in the past such overstays appear to have been forgiven.

Now some cases have appeared in which they haven't.

So as other posters have said - now we have no idea what will happen. In your place, I would definitely mention Mr. F. to your attorney.

Good luck.

Thanks.

What will be will be I suppose. Not the end of the world if I get deported, will just take my wife back to blighty with me - most probably on seperate flights though!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:27 am
YB1
Just Joined

YB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really nice

Thanks.

What will be will be I suppose. Not the end of the world if I get deported, will just take my wife back to blighty with me - most probably on seperate flights though!
Don't want to seem dramatic but the detention/deportation experience is not a pleasant one. Mine was quite lengthy about 7 days in all.
Couldn't phone or see anyone for 3 days.
You leave with the clothes on your back (they may allow your spouse to bring one suitcase).

good luck!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:35 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YB1
Don't want to seem dramatic but the detention/deportation experience is not a pleasant one. Mine was quite lengthy about 7 days in all.
Couldn't phone or see anyone for 3 days.
You leave with the clothes on your back (they may allow your spouse to bring one suitcase).

good luck!
Hi:

I know that I don't like going into detention centers and I know they will let me out! In my experience, they do allow spouse or friend to bring in a suit case.

I find the sentence about the length of your detention to be somewhat confusing: was it "quite lengthy" or was it "about 7 days in all"? In my mind "quite lengthy" is the opposite of "short."
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I know that I don't like going into detention centers and I know they will let me out! In my experience, they do allow spouse or friend to bring in a suit case.

I find the sentence about the length of your detention to be somewhat confusing: was it "quite lengthy" or was it "about 7 days in all"? In my mind "quite lengthy" is the opposite of "short."
If I was locked up, I'd find 7 days "lengthy"! Of course, I might find 7 minutes lengthy too.

I'm sure in comparison to what can happen, it is technically short though.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:56 am
YB1
Just Joined

YB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really niceYB1 is just really nice

it was 7 days but was more than i expected!
I won't ask how you define "a lengthy stay"
Old Aug 25th 2008, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YB1
I won't ask how you define "a lengthy stay"
I worked in a federal prison for 2.5 years... a "short" stay was 2 years less a day!

Ian