Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Reapplying for the same visa - questions

Reapplying for the same visa - questions

Old Dec 2nd 2013, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

firehawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reapplying for the same visa - questions

Hi.
I was burgled a month ago unfortunately. one of the many things they stole was my 2 passports. One was a current valid UK passport, the other was an expired passport with a B1/B2 visa. It also had sentimental values to me.

Needless to say, I cancelled the passport and US Visa.
I now have a new Passport and have arranged an appointment at the US Embassy which is this week.

My concern is, what if they say "no" to giving me the same visa? I was issued it before, had 7 years left and never overstayed or had any problems entering or leaving the US.

what are the chances of me being able to get the visa again? It was stolen along with other of my important belongings.

what should/can I do?

thank you. I'm just really upset and this one is a killer for me.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 7:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reapplying for the same visa - questions

How did you "cancel" the US visa?

Sounds to me like you need the visa to be reissued in your new passport, given that a valid visa was still in effect in your lost/ stolen passport.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 7:01 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by firehawk
Hi.
I was burgled a month ago unfortunately. one of the many things they stole was my 2 passports. One was a current valid UK passport, the other was an expired passport with a B1/B2 visa. It also had sentimental values to me.

Needless to say, I cancelled the passport and US Visa.
I now have a new Passport and have arranged an appointment at the US Embassy which is this week.

My concern is, what if they say "no" to giving me the same visa? I was issued it before, had 7 years left and never overstayed or had any problems entering or leaving the US.

what are the chances of me being able to get the visa again? It was stolen along with other of my important belongings.

what should/can I do?

thank you. I'm just really upset and this one is a killer for me.
Why do you require a B visa instead of traveling on the Visa Waiver Program?
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

because I am not eligible for the VWP due to other circumstances. that's why.
I cancelled the US visa by emailing the embassy as instructed on their london US embassy website.

I really would like a straight response from people who KNOW for certain or have had the same experience.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 7:52 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If you require a B2 due to not being eligible for the VWP, have had one before, and have complied with all terms and conditions on previous states, I wouldn't worry about getting denied a new one - but you don't need a new one.

Sounds to me like you need the visa to be reissued in your new passport, given that a valid visa was still in effect in your lost/ stolen passport.
This.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 8:25 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Based on what you've written, I don't understand your concern.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_2009.html
what should/can I do?
Regards, JEff
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 8:28 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

What difference does it make? The issue here is replacing a visa.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Speedwell
Why do you require a B visa instead of traveling on the Visa Waiver Program?
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 9:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
If you require a B2 due to not being eligible for the VWP, have had one before, and have complied with all terms and conditions on previous states, I wouldn't worry about getting denied a new one - but you don't need a new one. .....
Unless you have experienced another "detrimental event" (arrest, conviction, drug use, mental illness, etc.) since the stolen visa was issued, I don't see that you have anything to worry about.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

thanks Pulaski.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

well im just preparing to assemble documents for tomorrow and I still have doubts. I need some clear direction either way.

I have had it issued but cancelled it due to the burglary.
Never had problems entering or leaving the US in the 3 years I have had the visa (with 7 years remaining).
never overstayed - usually the trips are between 7-14 days or less.

I have my apartment agreement (lease) which shows I am staying there and tied there.
I have a bank statement dated back for the past 2 months and stamped by the bank (since my bank no longer sends me statements)
I have my self employed information (my employment..my company based in the UK)
I have my ACPO Certificate
I have my 2x2 photographs.
I have my appointment and DS-160 form

anything else I need do you think in terms of stronger ties to the UK? I cannot think of anything.

also... again, the chances of it being issued?

thank you.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

anything else I need do you think in terms of stronger ties to the UK? I cannot think of anything.

also... again, the chances of it being issued?
After looking at the link JEff provided in his post, it seems you are missing two things (bold and underliined):

When applying for the replacement of a visa, you will need to provide a written account documenting the loss of your passport and visa. Include a copy of the police report.

You have an ACPO certificate, but is that the same thing as the actual police report you filed when the passport/visa was lost? (I'm not familiar with UK police report terminology).

Since this is for a replacement visa (not a new visa), I'm not sure you need to show all the ties again, but probably best to bring them along just in case. Since you've been using the visa successfully in the past, my layman's opinion is that you'll get it again.

Rene
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Noorah - thank you for your reply and somewhat "relieved" it is you

so I DO have a police crime report which includes a reference number. I will be taking this but unfortunately that is all it is - a police document (2 pages) which has the name of the officer in charge in addition to the police number and the crime reference number.

as for the written documentation... I do not have any of that. They can ring to find out as it is logged in the police computer systems.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:59 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

It is always somewhat perilous when applying for a visa. That said, personally, I see nothing in OP's posts that causes my antennae to twitch.

I do believe that it is a good thing that OP called in the cancellation. Firehawk does not give ethnic group -- but there is value to visas and passports with reasonable likeness of the bearer. Also, razor blades do exist. In this era of electronic records, I have a feeling that the danger is less of misuse. But traditionally the forgers are pretty quick in figuring out how to beat security measures.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks S Folinsky.
Ethnicity shouldn't matter but for the record I was born and raised in the UK but have a far middle eastern decent. Stayed in the UK my whole life.
I am a law obiding citizen of the UK and do the same for other countries, especially the US and would never jepordise anything to risk me not being able to go there for business and pleasure thus I followed and did exactly what the london US Embassy website said to do, and its plain common sense, to cancel the visa and reschedule an interview.

same thing with my british passport, which now I have a brand new one.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

as for the written documentation... I do not have any of that. They can ring to find out as it is logged in the police computer systems.
I doubt the embassy will ring anyone to find out any details, it is up to you to provide documentation. The way I read the "written documentation" statement is that YOU do the writing.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.