Wikiposts

The Reality of U.S. Life.

Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Reality of U.S. Life.

Originally Posted by bubbleberry
Not in the slightest, I went to a really tough school in Belfast, during the Troubles, as did my sister, who now teaches in a comprehensive in reading.

Her first few months she was in tears every day, she could not believe how rough the kids were, & that says a lot when we grew up with riots & bombings.

I have held conversations with teachers here in the US, who have no idea about the world outside their front door, never mind their country.

I also know a young family here in Southern California, the man moved here with his American wife, they are a simple, kind family who live a normal life, he is EXTREMELY worried about the standard of education, about how few class hours his kids get & about how many kids are in each class.

There are really rough, bad areas everywhere, but its the commitment of the system to provide that determines the standard .
Right that's why it really doesn't matter where you live in the UK you will receive the same excellent education.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
7 yrs down the line and I still feel like a visitor..

mind you the H4 didn't help..

I've just realised if the bloody US of A would have let me go to college without an SSN I could have earned a Bachelors degree..

now I'm even more pissed...
I will agree with you, if we're gonna let you be here long term, you ought to be able to do most things. Some of these visa types have very unreasonable restrictions imo.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:57 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

7 yrs down the line and I still feel like a visitor..

mind you the H4 didn't help..

I've just realised if the bloody US of A would have let me go to college without an SSN I could have earned a Bachelors degree..

now I'm even more pissed...
Lisa! Don't be pissed. Go for it! Enroll somewhere if you can. That's if you still have the desire. Desire counts for a lot, that and having enough for tuition. I say go for it if you can.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:01 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I will agree with you, if we're gonna let you be here long term, you ought to be able to do most things. Some of these visa types have very unreasonable restrictions imo.
yea I agree its daft when you think about it...here's me with time on my hands, money in my pocket and yet still not allowed to study....ah well..
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:02 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Lisa! Don't be pissed. Go for it! Enroll somewhere if you can. That's if you still have the desire. Desire counts for a lot, that and having enough for tuition. I say go for it if you can.
oh I had the desire and motivation...I just didn't have a SSN, and I basically got told "if you don't have an SSN you ain't enrolling"..
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

oh I had the desire and motivation...I just didn't have a SSN, and I basically got told "if you don't have an SSN you ain't enrolling"..
How do they have foreign students then?

Are you sure you didn't just encounter a random idiot?
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:04 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Well if your life still allows for a pursuit then go for it. I guess you have to see past all that now. But it would piss me off too frankly given what an education means now days.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I think world awareness is definitely important and I was taught to watch the news at a young age. One of my teachers recommend that I listen to NPR which I've done since I was a teenager. I might be the exception with this but I didn't notice it much. I guess living in the DC area you are more prone to get a cosmopolitan view of things. If I had grown up in Tulsa my outlook would most likely be different.

As for fostering creativity, I had loads of opportunities to express that. I can remember doing dioramas (shoe box displays) for book reports. I'd read a book and then get my creative juices flowing putting together a scene from the book using modeling clay, stuff from around the house, and my noggin. I also remember being enrolled in home economics classes where I got the chance to explore my creative side through textiles and cooking. Then there was shop class where I made a lucite pen holder for my dad and a wooden clock for myself. I think back in elementary school I had the most fun with finger painting, writing and illustrating books that were hand published. We basically made the book covers ourselves and assembled the books by hand after handwriting them. It was a fun experience to say the least. Oh and not to forget art's and crafts day. That was cool.

When I got older in school my creativity was more focused on the written word in terms of essays and prose for English class. I never really liked writing but I found that I had a smidgen of talent back then. Not enough to quit my day job.

Yeah, we were focused on testing yes, but we also had times where we got to be creative. Perhaps things have changed since then.

My kids were partly UK educated and partly US educated. If you encourage your child to think and learn "world-widely" along with their schooling, whatever that country may be then they will probably succeed regardless as to where they are educated.

Both my kids have degrees, have great careers and are still "newshounds", a trait they learned from us and from some of their more interested and interesting teachers along the way.

I don't think you can really say one education is better than the other. A lot of it is the encouragement your child gets from you and from the school.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:51 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts? Answer wisely sir.
KRISPY KREME!!!! Those little puffs of air that are pure gorgeousness rolled in trans fats, highly addictive and off limits for yours truly...
Dunkin Donuts are nothing special at all
Coffee is better at Dunkin D's though
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:54 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear.

You should have been more persistent, or tried somewhere else.

My oldest was still an H4 without a SSN when he started college.

Sorry you had such a tough experience. I thought 4 years was bad enough........ but 7........ yikes!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:56 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
Oh dear.

You should have been more persistent, or tried somewhere else.

My oldest was still an H4 without a SSN when he started college.
the reality of US life is that CA just had a 5.8 earthquake which has rattled Los Angeles.....are you all ok elvira?

Last edited by TruBrit; Jul 29th 2008 at 7:00 am.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

I like it here so far. I dont think I'll stay more than a few years though, main reasons being...

1) Ok, I know its hard to get hard facts to prove it, but in my experience the average American doesnt have a clue or just doesnt care about world affairs. I want my kids to be actively involved and understand the world around them.

2) Healthcare. The NHS is a long way from being perfect, but I cannot imagine what it must be like to get serioulsy ill and have all of your savings wiped out.

3) TV. TV in the UK is pretty shit as well, but at least you dont have to sit though adverts every 4-5 mins.

4) Distance from Europe. I want my kids to be able to visit different countries easily and to understand other cultures.

5) Unless you live in a major city, you have to have a car. Even if you live in a major city, you still kind of have to have a car!

Reasons that I would stay:

1) People here tend to be more optomistic and friendly.

2) Cost of living is a lot less here.

3) I like the American uni system. The US has the best universities in the world. They are incredibly expensive, but I facilities tend to be better. I went to UW Madison to visit recently and I was amazed!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:59 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
the reality of US life is that LA just had a 5.8 earthquake which has rattled Los Angeles.....are you all ok elvira?

I'm fine, thanks for asking - we're up north...

But what about peeps in LA, Lord Whatsisname and all?

I guess Sall is 'vacationing' in the UK?
Old Jul 29th 2008, 7:10 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I like it here so far. I dont think I'll stay more than a few years though, main reasons being...

1) Ok, I know its hard to get hard facts to prove it, but in my experience the average American doesnt have a clue or just doesnt care about world affairs. I want my kids to be actively involved and understand the world around them.

I've said this to people before, you could raise ignorant kids in Europe or you could raise world-wise kids here. You do your part as a parent to make the next generation of Americans more knowlegeable than the last. Just because your kids friends are ignorant doesn't mean yours have to be.

2) Healthcare. The NHS is a long way from being perfect, but I cannot imagine what it must be like to get serioulsy ill and have all of your savings wiped out.

This will change. I don't know if the result will be better or worse than what we have now, but it will change and I believe relatively soon. If you don't want to stick around to find out, I can understand.

3) TV. TV in the UK is pretty shit as well, but at least you dont have to sit though adverts every 4-5 mins.

Throw your TV out the window.

4) Distance from Europe. I want my kids to be able to visit different countries easily and to understand other cultures.

Not much anybody can do about that.

5) Unless you live in a major city, you have to have a car. Even if you live in a major city, you still kind of have to have a car!

I like cars. Most of the time... This too is changing, the last time I was in the city (St. Louis, MO) I was amazed at the amount of scooters and motorcycles I saw out and about.

Reasons that I would stay:

1) People here tend to be more optomistic and friendly.

2) Cost of living is a lot less here.

3) I like the American uni system. The US has the best universities in the world. They are incredibly expensive, but I facilities tend to be better. I went to UW Madison to visit recently and I was amazed!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 7:30 am
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by Tracym
How do they have foreign students then?

Are you sure you didn't just encounter a random idiot?
special visa which includes an SSN..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.