British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Reality check for GC renewal processing times (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/reality-check-gc-renewal-processing-times-907696/)

Melly Jan 8th 2018 8:36 pm

Reality check for GC renewal processing times

Don't wait!!!! I had my biometrics done in March 2017 and was told it would be several months until my new card arrived. Here we are in January 2018 and still no card. I was able to get an extension through December 2017 which thankfully covered my planned trip back to the UK in June of the same year (my card expired in April 2017). I now have an unexpected trip back this year, so that prompted me to think about my GC again. They are currently processing applications from December 2016!!! I can apply for another extension at no cost, thank goodness, but I must admit I never anticipated this length of a wait. So, if you are close to renewal time, and are planning a trip, DO NOT wait till last minute! Lesson learned. As of now I really don't know when my new card will arrive - sometime this year:blink:

tom169 Jan 8th 2018 8:53 pm

Re: Reality check for GC renewal processing times

Applying for citizenship can force the renewal/removal of conditions application to be adjudicated.

Melly Jan 8th 2018 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12414096)
Applying for citizenship can force the renewal/removal of conditions application to be adjudicated.

Getting citizenship is well overdue (been in the US 30 odd years). If I filed the N-400 now, I would still need my GC to travel before that was processed, correct? My unexpected trip back this year isn't till December, so I still have time for my new card to come, but I was thinking of getting another extension just to make sure I was covered.

tom169 Jan 8th 2018 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Melly (Post 12414102)
Getting citizenship is well overdue (been in the US 30 odd years). If I filed the N-400 now, I would still need my GC to travel before that was processed, correct? My unexpected trip back this year isn't till December, so I still have time for my new card to come, but I was thinking of getting another extension just to make sure I was covered.

You will still need the expired GC and extension letter / stamp to travel internationally until this is adjudicated.

If you file now you may be a US citizen before December and will need to apply for a US passport to travel. :)

Melly Jan 8th 2018 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12414105)
You will still need the expired GC and extension letter / stamp to travel internationally until this is adjudicated.

If you file now you may be a US citizen before December and will need to apply for a US passport to travel. :)

Thank you very much! That's great info to know.

sun_burn Jan 9th 2018 12:39 am

GC renewal delays are why I decided to go ahead and file N-400 instead. I was up for my 10 year renewal late 2018, but it's likely to take longer. N400 seems to take less time for most simple cases, and with the current political climate it seems better to have something stickier than GC.

Melly Jan 9th 2018 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by sun_burn (Post 12414187)
GC renewal delays are why I decided to go ahead and file N-400 instead. I was up for my 10 year renewal late 2018, but it's likely to take longer. N400 seems to take less time for most simple cases, and with the current political climate it seems better to have something stickier than GC.

I seem to recall last time I renewed (10 yrs ago) I got my card almost immediately, hence my shock at the current processing time! I agree whole heartedly on needing something "stickier" these days. I've got to just get it done.

sun_burn Jan 9th 2018 2:34 pm

Yes I was taken aback. There wasn't any sort of I-90 issuing delay as such, a decade ago. Right now, *average* I-90 processing times are trending close to a year long, according to the USCIS data. N400 average processing times are much shorter, 3-6 month less. There seems to be a concerted bid to understaff GC renewals to force naturalizations, which is fine since they've always sought that GCs naturalize.

SarahG Jan 9th 2018 10:45 pm

My son had to have his GC renewed last year when he turned 14. Nothing has happened since he had biometrics done in the middle of September. We are not expecting anything to happen for a while. Luckily we have no plans to leave the country, although he still has his original one as it has not expired.