Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Re-location to US from UK - Marriage the best option?

Re-location to US from UK - Marriage the best option?

Old May 14th 2018, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

JohnSmith17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re-location to US from UK - Marriage the best option?

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been discussed previously but I can't find anything specific to my question.

I've been given the opportunity to re-locate within the company I work for from the UK to San Francisco in September this year. My girlfriend and I want to make the move together.

With that being said, I'm not clear on our options. I've done what seems an age of reading about different Visa's etc but not sure if my information is up to date.

I have a friend that has recently made the same move and married his girlfriend before moving to help her gain a working visa.

Is this the easiest option? It's something we have discussed and would do but as a last resort.

Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Old May 14th 2018, 9:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-location to US from UK - Marriage the best option?

Is your girlfriend a US Citizen?

Rene
Old May 14th 2018, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean marry your girlfriend prior to your company move so she can get a derivative visa based on yours, then yes - it is by far the easiest thing to do.

I presume you are getting an L1 type of visa, which would mean wife would get an L2 and she would be able to work.

If you are getting an H1 visa then wife would get an H4 and NOT be able to work.
Old May 15th 2018, 10:04 am
Just Joined

No she is a UK citizen like myself
Old May 15th 2018, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you mean marry your girlfriend prior to your company move so she can get a derivative visa based on yours, then yes - it is by far the easiest thing to do.

I presume you are getting an L1 type of visa, which would mean wife would get an L2 and she would be able to work.

If you are getting an H1 visa then wife would get an H4 and NOT be able to work.
Thank you for your reply. Yes to all the above. Looking to marry prior to the move so she can come on an L2 visa.

What are the timescales involved? Is there a period of time before she can start working in the US?

Thanks
Old May 15th 2018, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnSmith17
Thank you for your reply. Yes to all the above. Looking to marry prior to the move so she can come on an L2 visa.

What are the timescales involved? Is there a period of time before she can start working in the US?

Thanks
Yes, she'd need to apply for an EAD (form I-765) after entering the USA on the visa. You're looking at 3-5 months.
Old May 15th 2018, 2:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

While she is not eligible to apply for the EAD until she has the visa in her passport and has entered the US using said visa, she is eligible, as are you, to immediately applying for your social security numbers by walking in and applying at your local Social Security Administration Office which will be needed for many things, in addition to employment.

The social security number will be needed: (1) to obtain a driver's license, (2) to be given to the employer for withholding taxes, (3) for your healthcare insurance policy, (4) for your bank account(s), (5) establish a line of credit.

Before you consent to this transfer to the US office, please be aware that there are many things you should be asking your employer about in regards to terms of your transfer. For example, rate of pay, allowance for relocation, allowance for return to the UK if you are made redundant, what healthcare insurance will be made available to you and what costs are involved, i.e. your portion of the monthly premium, if any, what are the deductible and co-pays, does it include medication, dental, glasses, would your spouse be covered and at what cost, etc., housing allowance, car allowance and many other things that other will join in on.

It is not simply a matter of pulling up sticks and replanting them in the US. You want to have ,at minimum, the same lifestyle and cash flow as you have in the UK.
Old May 15th 2018, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
While she is not eligible to apply for the EAD until she has the visa in her passport and has entered the US using said visa, she is eligible, as are you, to immediately applying for your social security numbers by walking in and applying at your local Social Security Administration Office which will be needed for many things, in addition to employment.

The social security number will be needed: (1) to obtain a driver's license, (2) to be given to the employer for withholding taxes, (3) for your healthcare insurance policy, (4) for your bank account(s), (5) establish a line of credit.

Before you consent to this transfer to the US office, please be aware that there are many things you should be asking your employer about in regards to terms of your transfer. For example, rate of pay, allowance for relocation, allowance for return to the UK if you are made redundant, what healthcare insurance will be made available to you and what costs are involved, i.e. your portion of the monthly premium, if any, what are the deductible and co-pays, does it include medication, dental, glasses, would your spouse be covered and at what cost, etc., housing allowance, car allowance and many other things that other will join in on.

It is not simply a matter of pulling up sticks and replanting them in the US. You want to have ,at minimum, the same lifestyle and cash flow as you have in the UK.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply.
It's very helpful to know that even if she will not be able to work for 90 days, she will still be able to apply for an SSN.
I've been in lengthy conversations with management around agreeing a package which covers health insurance etc. and think I'm happy I have everything covered. Once the offer is signed I can continue with the Visa process. Now I just need to inform my boss about the additional Visa required for what looks like will be my not so distant wife!

Thanks again
Old May 15th 2018, 6:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome!
Old May 15th 2018, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

I am going to add one further point: Check the expiry of your passports
If they are within the next 12 months I would recommend you get them renewed before getting a visa
Its a right pain getting a visa that might be five years and you are only admitted to your passport expiry( which will be your I94)
Some states as well only allow you to have drivers license through to your I94

Having a long lead on your passport expiry makes it so much easier when you are here

And keep all documents that you ever get from US, as you will need all of them should you ever want to move to Green Card
Old May 16th 2018, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnSmith17
Many thanks for taking the time to reply.
It's very helpful to know that even if she will not be able to work for 90 days, she will still be able to apply for an SSN.
I've been in lengthy conversations with management around agreeing a package which covers health insurance etc. and think I'm happy I have everything covered. Once the offer is signed I can continue with the Visa process. Now I just need to inform my boss about the additional Visa required for what looks like will be my not so distant wife!

Thanks again
In reality 90 days for an EAD is a pipe dream. Don't gloss over details just because they aren't good news.
Old May 17th 2018, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
In reality 90 days for an EAD is a pipe dream. Don't gloss over details just because they aren't good news.
Mine is currently 1 day off of 5 months, I’d be surprised if 90 days is even close these days. 6 seems more advisable.