Re entry permit for USA?

Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

gazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re entry permit for USA?

hi,

I have a permanent 10yr green card. Unfortunately i had to leave the US urgently recently due to family issues. It seems that I won`t be going back to the US for at least 6mths. My question is, do I need a re entry permit to enter the US, and if so can I apply for one at the US Embassy in London? I still have ties to the US IE bank account, friends etc, but no job.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:24 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re entry permit for USA?

Originally Posted by gazza64
hi,

I have a permanent 10yr green card. Unfortunately i had to leave the US urgently recently due to family issues. It seems that I won`t be going back to the US for at least 6mths. My question is, do I need a re entry permit to enter the US, and if so can I apply for one at the US Embassy in London? I still have ties to the US IE bank account, friends etc, but no job.

Thanks for any advice.
Re-entry permits have to be obtained before you leave the US
you have to attend for biometrics ..but you can be out up to 12 months if you retain pr0perty etc in the US
Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

hi,

Thanks for any advice.
How long have you been outside the USA already? Will you be out 6 *more* months? Or do you mean it will be 6 months total by the time you return?

An absence of less than 6 months is not a problem.

An absence of between 6 - 12 months causes questions upon return to the USA, at the POE, so it might be helpful for you to have some documentation showing why you were out longer than 6 months.

An absence of more than 12 months, and you run into problems.

Continue maintaining your ties to the USA.

Rene
Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

gazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene,

I`ve been out of the USA for about 5 weeks now, and it`ll probably be 6-7 mths before i`m able to get back.

What kind of documentation would I nee if there were any problems at the POE? I`ve still got a US bank account, some tax docs, but that`s about it. Is that enough?

Thanks.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene,

I`ve been out of the USA for about 5 weeks now, and it`ll probably be 6-7 mths before i`m able to get back.

What kind of documentation would I nee if there were any problems at the POE? I`ve still got a US bank account, some tax docs, but that`s about it. Is that enough?

Thanks.
No, I mean documentation as to why you were outside the USA.

For example, a friend of mine spent 7 months back in his home country because his mother was ill, then she needed surgery, then she had to recover, then she had a setback....all of that kept him there longer than he originally anticipated. At the POE, they asked him why he'd been out longer than 6 months, and he showed them the medical reports and hospital bills, dated all throughout his time spent back home.

He was allowed in with no further problems.

Rene
Old Jun 30th 2011, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

hi,

Yes, I should be able to get documents like that of your friend.

Thanks for the advice.