Re: DS 260 / SSN Application…

Old May 16th 2017, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

skyland235 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DS 260 / SSN Application…

Re: DS 260 / SSN Application…
I am not at this stage yet but hoping for some insight....
Any forum members selected yes to the following 'Do you want the Social Security Administration to issue a Social Security number and a card?

Can i ask if this worked? If so, how long did the SSN card take? I am only asking as there seem to be many that end up applying by going into a SSN Office despite the fact that they had selected yes to the above question on the DS 260
Thanks in advance
Old May 16th 2017, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skyland235
Can i ask if this worked?
Sometimes it does; sometimes it doesn't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to either event.

If so, how long did the SSN card take?
Usually, a SS card shows up within 4-6 weeks. But you could, just as easily, have wasted 4-6 weeks waiting for a card that never shows up.

I am only asking as there seem to be many that end up applying by going into a SSN Office despite the fact that they had selected yes to the above question on the DS 260.
Correct - because sometimes even if you check the box, nothing happens. it's an unreliable system.

My take on this: Don't bother checking the box... and apply for a SSN once you've been in the US for 10 business days. Overall, it'll likely be far less frustrating.

Ian
Old May 16th 2017, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again Ian - i agree that i should never have ticked the box when i completed this last year!!
Old May 16th 2017, 3:17 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

It worked for me. But that doesn't mean it will work for you.

Mine took exactly three weeks to arrive. But I arrived on December 19 and about a week was lost to Christmas and New Year and the federal holidays. I'm thinking it would have been two weeks otherwise which is in sync with others from our Facebook group who arrived slightly before or after me and didn't have the holiday season upon them as soon as they arrived.
Old May 16th 2017, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
It worked for me. But that doesn't mean it will work for you.

Mine took exactly three weeks to arrive. But I arrived on December 19 and about a week was lost to Christmas and New Year and the federal holidays. I'm thinking it would have been two weeks otherwise which is in sync with others from our Facebook group who arrived slightly before or after me and didn't have the holiday season upon them as soon as they arrived.
Thanks for the update-apprecaite it
Old May 17th 2017, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

iarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond repute

I ticked "yes" and my card turned up in the post about a week after entry in January last year. Green card was another matter - that took 14 months to arrive!