Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Quit job on H1b - what to do re visa?

Quit job on H1b - what to do re visa?

Old Jul 20th 2015, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

smarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond reputesmarty156 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quit job on H1b - what to do re visa?

As you may have seen on another thread, my wife obtained an H1b and we moved to NY for her to start a new job. She has since quit and we have returned to the UK.
The question I have is - do we need to do anything about removing visas from passports? The visa stamps show validity until November 2017 but the H1b is obviously now no longer valid. Just want to avoid any confusion at US immigration as we are planning to go to Florida next year.

Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2015, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quit job on H1b - what to do re visa?

Originally Posted by smarty156 View Post
As you may have seen on another thread, my wife obtained an H1b and we moved to NY for her to start a new job. She has since quit and we have returned to the UK.
The question I have is - do we need to do anything about removing visas from passports? The visa stamps show validity until November 2017 but the H1b is obviously now no longer valid. Just want to avoid any confusion at US immigration as we are planning to go to Florida next year.

Thanks
What usually happens to me is on my next trip to the US, either on VWP or on a new visa, the border agent will look at the old visa and stample it with "CANCELLED WITHOUT PREJUDICE" in massive black letters.

I also have old visas that they just left alone completely.

It hasn't been a big deal.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quit job on H1b - what to do re visa?

Yes, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Just make sure that you have a valid ESTA before traveling.