quick question on naturalization

Old Mar 31st 2007, 5:19 pm
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light
Default quick question on naturalization

I was reading the instructions to submit the N-400 and I noticed it says you need to be:

A Lawful Permanent Resident for at least three years... and ...

You have been married to AND living with the same U.S. citizen for the last three years...
Am I assuming correctly that if the married couple is *not* living together then the permanent resident can't apply for naturalization?
Old Mar 31st 2007, 7:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: quick question on naturalization

Originally Posted by bequibar
I was reading the instructions to submit the N-400 and I noticed it says you need to be:

Am I assuming correctly that if the married couple is *not* living together then the permanent resident can't apply for naturalization?
That's what it sounds like to me. Seems to me in a case where a couple is still married but not living together (i.e. separated because of marital trouble, legal separation, pending divorce, etc) then the PR would need to wait 5 years to apply for naturalization.

I am pretty sure in situations where a couple is happily married, and one is separated temporarily because of reasons such as work or school, might still be OK for the 3-year rule.

Rene
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:23 am
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Noorah101
That's what it sounds like to me. Seems to me in a case where a couple is still married but not living together (i.e. separated because of marital trouble, legal separation, pending divorce, etc) then the PR would need to wait 5 years to apply for naturalization.

I am pretty sure in situations where a couple is happily married, and one is separated temporarily because of reasons such as work or school, might still be OK for the 3-year rule.

Rene
That's what I assumed too. Thanks Rene!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:27 pm
Polish Jelly

ania is an unknown quantity at this point

How about when you've already applied for citizenship based on marriage, and you want file for divorce or are separated?
In January 2008 it will 5 years since I got my GC. I don't think I will get my N-400 approved by then. Can I still become a citizen based not on marriage - 5 year rule?
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ania
How about when you've already applied for citizenship based on marriage, and you want file for divorce or are separated?
In January 2008 it will 5 years since I got my GC. I don't think I will get my N-400 approved by then. Can I still become a citizen based not on marriage - 5 year rule?
I believe so. When you go for your interview, bring an updated N-400 filled out according to your 5-year history, and ask them to replace the one you submitted with the 3-year history.

Rene
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I am pretty sure it works that way.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:19 pm
Polish Jelly

ania is an unknown quantity at this point

Where can I find it for sure? The 800 number is useless...
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by ania
Where can I find it for sure? The 800 number is useless...
Perhaps it says something about it in the Guide to Naturalization? Available at www.uscis.gov.

Rene