Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Quick question on ESTA for PR or not.

Quick question on ESTA for PR or not.

Old Apr 13th 2012, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future
Default Quick question on ESTA for PR or not.

Hey - I've got to head back to the UK at short notice. I have PR status.

Just been looking on the Virgin Atlantic website which states the following:

"# ESTA is now mandatory when travelling to the US.
# If you are a US resident holding a permanent resident card you will be required to supply details from your card for travel to the USA. "

Source: https://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/g...ckin/index.jsp

Look like it applies to me - I've seen conflicting information regarding whether I need an ESTA or not. Do I need an ESTA to get back to the US or no?

I'm thinking not but just want to make sure.

Thanks and have a lucky Friday 13th!
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Quick question on ESTA for PR or not.

Looking at the source, it appears those are two separate points.

1: •If you are a Non US resident visiting the USA you will need to supply details of where you are staying on your first night in the USA. ESTA is now mandatory when travelling to the US.

2: •If you are a US resident holding a permanent resident card you will be required to supply details from your card for travel to the USA.

So you don't need an ESTA since that's for visitors. You will need to provide details from your card though. No idea when, I presume at check-in.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by King Gimp
Do I need an ESTA to get back to the US or no?
No.

Rene
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

Nice - thought not. Thanks anyway!
Old Apr 13th 2012, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JSL8610
So you don't need an ESTA since that's for visitors. You will need to provide details from your card though. No idea when, I presume at check-in.
Bottom line is you probably won't be able to check in online on the way back and you will have to go to an agent at a desk for him to check your greencard. Some airlines are catching up but often they are unable to distinguish between tourists with UK passports and PRs with UK passports. No idea what Virgin is like.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Expect to have to show your green Card at check in and possibly boarding, but no you don't need an ESTA.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Bottom line is you probably won't be able to check in online on the way back and you will have to go to an agent at a desk for him to check your greencard. Some airlines are catching up but often they are unable to distinguish between tourists with UK passports and PRs with UK passports. No idea what Virgin is like.
This has been my experience with Virgin, having to check in with an agent rather than doing it online or at one of the self service portals.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

janette is on a distinguished road

You can fill in your green card details on the Virgin Advanced Passenger Information page. Once this is done, it will usually allow you to check in online (I know this is not usually possible with a visa,) but I haven't found it to be an issue with a green card. I usually travel with Virgin about 4 times a year, last time in March, and everything was fine.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by janette
You can fill in your green card details on the Virgin Advanced Passenger Information page.
Thanks for that will certainly give it a shot. Might make things easier on the way back.