Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Quick question about Green Card residency and being out of the US

Wikiposts

Quick question about Green Card residency and being out of the US

Old Oct 8th 2010, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

MapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really nice
Default Quick question about Green Card residency and being out of the US

Hi all,

I'm currently waiting on my Canadian immigration, but this question pertains to my parents. I was looking for some information from someone who has knowledge of immigration processes.

My parents have Green Cards which allows them to legally reside in the US. They have had their Green Cards since Mar 2008.

The dilemma is that due to them trying to tie up property and final job serverances, they have not been able to reside continously in the USA. They last were in the USA from Feb to May this year, and have since now come back to London.

Is there a timeframe in which you can be away whilst a legal alien? If they are away for say till next March, will their residency be in threat for not showing an attempt to seriously settle, even though there are mitigating circumstances, as described above?

I thank you all for your time in reading this, and apologies for my lack of knowledge in the US immigration process.

MS.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:42 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question about Green Card residency and being out of the US

Originally Posted by MapleSauce
Hi all,

I'm currently waiting on my Canadian immigration, but this question pertains to my parents. I was looking for some information from someone who has knowledge of immigration processes.

My parents have Green Cards which allows them to legally reside in the US. They have had their Green Cards since Mar 2008.

The dilemma is that due to them trying to tie up property and final job serverances, they have not been able to reside continously in the USA. They last were in the USA from Feb to May this year, and have since now come back to London.

Is there a timeframe in which you can be away whilst a legal alien? If they are away for say till next March, will their residency be in threat for not showing an attempt to seriously settle, even though there are mitigating circumstances, as described above?

I thank you all for your time in reading this, and apologies for my lack of knowledge in the US immigration process.

MS.
This is a good question which is often used in Law School Examinations for immigration law courses.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 10:32 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Residency can be lost with a single day outside of the US. It is advised by attorneys (I have seen this reported in the New York Daily News Column written by an immigration attorney, A. Wernick, who is a friend of an attorney who responded to you above that anyone who is outside of the US, or knows they will be outside of the US, for six weeks or longer (most others recommend six months or longer) apply for a re-entry permit via form I-131 while they inside of the US.

It is difficult to believe that severing your employment will take over two years to accomplish. Have they left anything in the US that would prove that they have maintained their residency in the US?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 10:45 am
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Magic Answer....It depends....

Generally, if you spend more time in a year in the states than out, you are considered to be residing here. (One way USCIS uses to tell where you live is by checking where you spend your time. The place you spend most time is generally presumed to be where you live.) If you spend less than 6 months per year out of the country, you are generally considered safe, as long as you also maintain a residence in the US (Which you probably would do if you spent 6 months+ in the country anyway)

Having said this. they have been out for a while now. Where did they stay when they were here?

Would they be comfortable proving they indeed live in the US, and have a home, etc that ties them here ?

They can probably return without issues, but they are already pushing the limits in my humble uninformed opinion.

If they would like to retain their green card, I'd suggest addressing this ASAP, perhaps by consultation with Competent immigration attorney to go over the current evidence they posses to prove their GC status, and how to present themselves most favorably on their return to avoid any issues.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 11:53 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Reentry permits are for being out of then US as an LPR for more than one year, but less than two years. They don't insulate someone from being accused of abandoning their US residence, but are better than nothing. This is especially true if they are planning to come back over but can't due to an emergency. If they stay out for more than a year without the permit, they are supposed to have a special returning resident visa to come back.

When they travel, they should be prepared to prove that their place of general abode is the US or at the very least prove as many ties as possible or demonstrate the steps they are taking to move in. The border guards (some of them) understand that it takes some time for someone to uproot and get established but their patience is not infinite. You won't get a solid answer on this topic because it's a judgment call.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
This is a good question which is often used in Law School Examinations for immigration law courses.
It has been a very long time since I did exams, but in my recollection they gave you the relevant information to make a reasonable answer. With some other bits thrown in to confuse.

We seem to miss the relevant info many times or its like pulling teeth.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really nice

Thanks all for your help on answering this question.

I guess the issue relates to a company going back on voluntary redundancy promises, and thereby my father losing out on £40,000 for 29 years service if he just quit and went to the USA.

They have a house in Texas, so i guess this is showing 'some' ties to the USA, not matter how small that may be.

Looks like they're walking the tightrope.

Thanks all.

MS.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 3:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So they have had their Green Cards for over 2 years but have yet to take up residency?
Old Oct 9th 2010, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

They have lived there for probably 10 months out of the last two years.

They have had some news overnight, so it looks like they are going to finally settle from next month.

Thanks all for your valuable input.

MS.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:13 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MapleSauce
... it looks like they are going to finally settle from next month.

Thanks all for your valuable input.

MS.
That's good news.

My 2 cents, (And I promise I won't go at it again)

Although it may seem like money down the toilet, I bet even a phone consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer may help them explain what they may experience on returning, and may help them prepare some evidence, in case they need it, to make their entry back to the states more "pleasant" in case they run into a very inquisitive agent.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:30 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I'd bet down money that they won't have a problem and I don't gamble. They only received the card 2 years ago, been in the US for 10 months during that time, own a house in the US, and haven't been out for more than a year.

IMHO Nobody will want to waste a judges time when there are thousands of people arriving having never moved in, never bought a home, they spend a week per year in the US and traveling on a round trip ticket terminating foreign.