British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Quick question. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/quick-question-852031/)

Sabrielle Feb 3rd 2015 3:47 pm

Quick question.

Can I work in the US if someone is willing to sponsor my visa as a nanny? I am currently studying for my nvq 3 in early years childcare and my daughter is a US citizen, I was considering moving to the US for a while to do some nannying. It's just a passing thought and I wanted to know if it was possible, I know I can not go as an aupair as I am 29. Thank you.

sir_eccles Feb 3rd 2015 4:04 pm

Re: Quick question.

I'm guessing your daughter isn't over 21?

Sabrielle Feb 3rd 2015 4:07 pm

No she is 7.

sir_eccles Feb 3rd 2015 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sabrielle (Post 11554369)
No she is 7.

Figured, what is the basis of her citizenship? Is she living in the US?

If you can't get the J-1 au pair, I don't think there are any realistic ways of getting a visa as a nanny.

Sabrielle Feb 3rd 2015 4:14 pm

Alright. No she lives with me in the UK, she is a duel citizen her father is American. I knew I couldn't go to the US based off her anyway she's only 7 and has to be 21 to sponsor me. I am just looking at another realistic way that I could go off my own back. I am pretty sure I am too old to go as an au pair.

johnnybrown532 Feb 3rd 2015 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sabrielle (Post 11554382)
Alright. No she lives with me in the UK, she is a duel citizen her father is American. I knew I couldn't go to the US based off her anyway she's only 7 and has to be 21 to sponsor me. I am just looking at another realistic way that I could go off my own back. I am pretty sure I am too old to go as an au pair.

Au Pair's can get a j1 but I unsure if there is a maximum age limit to get that visa for an Au Pair or to be hired as an au pair for that matter. You would have to look into that.

sir_eccles Feb 3rd 2015 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Sabrielle (Post 11554382)

Yup, 26 I believe. I assume the USC father is not an option?

Sabrielle Feb 3rd 2015 5:06 pm

No we are getting a divorce and he works min wage..

Pulaski Feb 3rd 2015 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Sabrielle (Post 11554337)
Can I work in the US if someone is willing to sponsor my visa as a nanny? I am currently studying for my nvq 3 in early years childcare and my daughter is a US citizen, I was considering moving to the US for a while to do some nannying. It's just a passing thought and I wanted to know if it was possible, I know I can not go as an aupair as I am 29. Thank you.

Why would you want to relocate to take what is generally low-paid work with no job security and very few tangible benefits, especially when you have a young child of your own? :confused:

Sabrielle Feb 3rd 2015 11:42 pm

I have my reasons and I don't want to get into that on a public forum but thank you to those who answered my question.

Pulaski Feb 3rd 2015 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sabrielle (Post 11554832)
I have my reasons and I don't want to get into that on a public forum but thank you to those who answered my question.

So, wait until your divorce is final and then go for a K-1? :sneaky:

Sabrielle Feb 4th 2015 10:09 am

Why would I need a K-1? Thats assuming my reasons are for a guy. I am taking this thread no further. If I don't want to divulge my personal details on a public forum that is my prerogative.

Noorah101 Feb 4th 2015 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Sabrielle (Post 11555202)
Why would I need a K-1? Thats assuming my reasons are for a guy. I am taking this thread no further. If I don't want to divulge my personal details on a public forum that is my prerogative.

You do not need to divulge anything you aren't comfortable with. You will see all kinds of responses on a public forum like this. Please don't take it personally, you may continue posting if you want to.

Rene

Sabrielle Feb 4th 2015 11:45 am

Thank you, I did find it a little random.

ian-mstm Feb 4th 2015 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Sabrielle (Post 11555291)
I did find it a little random.

You are always free to not answer. As you say, that's your prerogative. That said, people here like information because that makes it easier to help steer someone in the right direction... so, when details are missing, there's usually a probing question or two. It's the nature of a public forum for people to ask probing questions.

Ian