Questions on visas for Vietnam

Old Feb 1st 2001, 8:59 am
shumka

I recently got engaged to my girlfriend in Vietnam, and I am now trying to decide what is
the best way for us to get married and get her a visa to come over here. I have almost
decided to apply for a fiancee visa rather than get married and applying for a marriage
visa because I have heard it’s faster in general. Is this definitely the case with
Vietnam? Are there any disadvantages to bringing her over on a fiancee visa? Would she
have to stay in the US for a certain period of time (one or two years) without being able
to visit her family in Vietnam? How long would that be? She is also worried because she
heard a rumor (very common in Vietnam) that it may not be easy for us to get married
within the 90 day visa period and she would have to return home. I was under the
impression that the marriage in the US was a simple and quick process, especially since we
probably would not have a large ceremony in the US. Am I mistaken?

I am also wondering whether or not I need to hire a lawyer. What are the advantages of
hiring a lawyer, given that they seem to charge exorbitant rates for what amounts to
little more than checking forms that I would be filling out? Is this a process that I can
do on my own? Does anyone have any experience using some of the cheaper visa services I
have seen on the internet?

I also have a question which is very specific to my situation. My parents live in Canada
and would like her to visit them before we get married. We applied for a visitor’s visa
and were rejected, but my parents have since spoken to their member of parliament and have
been assured that she would be accepted if she applied again immediately. I am keen to do
this, but I’m worried that it could delay our fiancee/marriage visa efforts. If we apply
today and she visits Canada in May, for example, then she would need to be in possession
of her passport for that whole time. Does she need to surrender her passport to the US
consulate as part of the process? At what point in the process and for how long would she
need to surrender it? My thought is that I could begin the fiancee visa application
immediately, since I have to file the I129F here, and simultaneously apply for her
Canadian visa. She could then fill out the forms from the US consulate and submit them,
knowing that she probably wouldn’t get an interview before coming to Canada. Does the
consulate set a specific date for the schedule, and if she is planning to be out of the
country on that date could she reschedule it? Is it reasonable to assume that she could
hold on to her passport until her trip to Canada and still proceed with the fiancee visa
application process?

As a side note, has anyone tried sending immigration forms over the internet to Vietnam? I
was thinking that I could begin completing her biographical information form, e-mail it to
her, have her print it out, sign it, and send it to
me. This would save a lot of time and money. Does anyone know if she could open a file in
Adobe Acrobat at an internet café in Vietnam?

If anyone has thoughts on any of these issues I would be very grateful. As you all must
know, this is a very confusing and nerve-racking process, and it’s very helpful to hear
from people who are or have been in similar situations.

Thanks a lot! Mark [email protected]

Old Feb 1st 2001, 9:42 am
Alvena Ferreira

Some answers to some of your questions: -First, peruse the Vietnam fiance visa page:
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/.../Timeline1.htm -yes, fiance visa is
probably quicker than marriage in vietnam. -there may be advantages to having an attorney
when dealing with this consulate, but be sure you have a good one, cause the bad ones are
worse than doing it yourself. -you can marry quickly and easily in the US, don't know
where she got that piece of horrible misinformation. -she can apply for advance parole and
travel back to vietnam to visit before getting her green card.

alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

[email protected] wrote:
>
> I recently got engaged to my girlfriend in Vietnam, and I am now trying to decide what
> is the best way for us to get married and get her a visa to come over here. I have
> almost decided to apply for a fiancee visa rather than get married and applying for a
> marriage visa because I have heard it’s faster in general. Is this definitely the case
> with Vietnam? Are there any disadvantages to bringing her over on a fiancee visa? Would
> she have to stay in the US for a certain period of time (one or two years) without being
> able to visit her family in Vietnam? How long would that be? She is also worried because
> she heard a rumor (very common in Vietnam) that it may not be easy for us to get married
> within the 90 day visa period and she would have to return home. I was under the
> impression that the marriage in the US was a simple and quick process, especially since
> we probably would not have a large ceremony in the US. Am I mistaken?
>
> I am also wondering whether or not I need to hire a lawyer. What are the advantages of
> hiring a lawyer, given that they seem to charge exorbitant rates for what amounts to
> little more than checking forms that I would be filling out? Is this a process that I
> can do on my own? Does anyone have any experience using some of the cheaper visa
> services I have seen on the internet?
>
> I also have a question which is very specific to my situation. My parents live in Canada
> and would like her to visit them before we get married. We applied for a visitor’s visa
> and were rejected, but my parents have since spoken to their member of parliament and
> have been assured that she would be accepted if she applied again immediately. I am keen
> to do this, but I’m worried that it could delay our fiancee/marriage visa efforts. If we
> apply today and she visits Canada in May, for example, then she would need to be in
> possession of her passport for that whole time. Does she need to surrender her passport
> to the US consulate as part of the process? At what point in the process and for how
> long would she need to surrender it? My thought is that I could begin the fiancee visa
> application immediately, since I have to file the I129F here, and simultaneously apply
> for her Canadian visa. She could then fill out the forms from the US consulate and
> submit them, knowing that she probably wouldn’t get an interview before coming to
> Canada. Does the consulate set a specific date for the schedule, and if she is planning
> to be out of the country on that date could she reschedule it? Is it reasonable to
> assume that she could hold on to her passport until her trip to Canada and still proceed
> with the fiancee visa application process?
>
> As a side note, has anyone tried sending immigration forms over the internet to Vietnam?
> I was thinking that I could begin completing her biographical information form, e-mail
> it to her, have her print it out, sign it, and send it to
> me. This would save a lot of time and money. Does anyone know if she could open a file
> in Adobe Acrobat at an internet café in Vietnam?
>
> If anyone has thoughts on any of these issues I would be very grateful. As you all must
> know, this is a very confusing and nerve-racking process, and it’s very helpful to hear
> from people who are or have been in similar situations.
>
> Thanks a lot! Mark [email protected]

Old Feb 1st 2001, 10:02 am
Onigiri

Read the Links at http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes and then you may have very few
questions - perhaps, none.
> Does anyone know if she could open a file in Adobe Acrobat at an internet café in
> Vietnam?
post this query in soc.culture.vietnam

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
> I recently got engaged to my girlfriend in Vietnam, and I am now trying to decide what
> is the best way for us to get married and get her a visa to come over here. I have
> almost decided to apply for a fiancee visa rather than get married and applying for a
> marriage visa because I have heard it’s faster in general. Is this definitely the case
> with Vietnam? Are there any disadvantages to bringing her over on a fiancee visa? Would
> she have to stay in the US for a certain period of time (one or two years) without being
> able to visit her family in Vietnam? How long would that be? She is also worried because
> she heard a rumor (very common in Vietnam) that it may not be easy for us to get married
> within the 90 day visa period and she would have to return home. I was under the
> impression that the marriage in the US was a simple and quick process, especially since
> we probably would not have a large ceremony in the US. Am I mistaken?
>
> I am also wondering whether or not I need to hire a lawyer. What are the advantages of
> hiring a lawyer, given that they seem to charge exorbitant rates for what amounts to
> little more than checking forms that I would be filling out? Is this a process that I
> can do on my own? Does anyone have any experience using some of the cheaper visa
> services I have seen on the internet?
>
> I also have a question which is very specific to my situation. My parents live in Canada
> and would like her to visit them before we get married. We applied for a visitor’s visa
> and were rejected, but my parents have since spoken to their member of parliament and
> have been assured that she would be accepted if she applied again immediately. I am keen
> to do this, but I’m worried that it could delay our fiancee/marriage visa efforts. If we
> apply today and she visits Canada in May, for example, then she would need to be in
> possession of her passport for that whole time. Does she need to surrender her passport
> to the US consulate as part of the process? At what point in the process and for how
> long would she need to surrender it? My thought is that I could begin the fiancee visa
> application immediately, since I have to file the I129F here, and simultaneously apply
> for her Canadian visa. She could then fill out the forms from the US consulate and
> submit them, knowing that she probably wouldn’t get an interview before coming to
> Canada. Does the consulate set a specific date for the schedule, and if she is planning
> to be out of the country on that date could she reschedule it? Is it reasonable to
> assume that she could hold on to her passport until her trip to Canada and still proceed
> with the fiancee visa application process?
>
> As a side note, has anyone tried sending immigration forms over the internet to Vietnam?
> I was thinking that I could begin completing her biographical information form, e-mail
> it to her, have her print it out, sign it, and send it to
> me. This would save a lot of time and money. Does anyone know if she could open a file
> in Adobe Acrobat at an internet café in Vietnam?

post this query in soc.culture.vietnam

> If anyone has thoughts on any of these issues I would be very grateful. As you all must
> know, this is a very confusing and nerve-racking process, and it’s very helpful to hear
> from people who are or have been in similar situations.
>
> Thanks a lot! Mark [email protected]

Old Feb 3rd 2001, 3:48 am
tempslip

Don't bother with a lawyer unless you have a problem with paperwork or think your case
will be unusually complicated. You have found the correct forum to get all your questions
answered and the forms are not complicated to do yourself. As for mailing anything to the
HCMC consulate they don't accept anything except general questions and they won't open
provisional files (send packet #3) until they receive the paperwork from the INS or NVC. I
suggest you have all that finished and in your fiancee's possession beforehand. Please be
aware that it takes at least 3 months to schedule an inteview date after they receive
packet #3 from your finacee so patience is required. As was previously posted you will
need an AP for your finacee to travel outside the country once she enters the US. If she
leaves before receiving it she stands a good chance of being sent back to Vietnam. If you
have any more questions email me. Tim & Hien