Wikiposts

Questions and story

Old May 30th 2002, 2:20 am
Tim Walters

Default Questions and story

Hello all,

I have a couple of questions. My girlfriend, Chinese, and I, American/Ohioian, are
planning on getting married once my divorce is finalize, which should be sometime in
September. I am looking for a site or resource to assist us with the visa process. I
see a lot of acronyms used in this group and would like some help understanding what
these mean.

Is anyone in this group going through this process now with a Chinese citizen? She
has some friends in her office that have been through this and are giving us some
good information, so we do have that at a resource.

Here's our story:

My wife left me for her "true love" that she met playing Everquest about a year ago.
After she left I started planning some travel, namely to China. I figured what a
better way to start a new life than plan a trip to this wonderful country. I started
posting questions on different boards and groups asking questions and looking for
possible tour guides or traveling companions. This is how we met.

The email and messenger conversations gave way to daily and nightly phone
converstaions. We talk on average between 2 - 6 hours a day. Sometimes 8 - 10 hours
on weekend days. After a couple of months we planned a vacation together. I would go
to China for 2 weeks and she would come here for two weeks.

3 Weeks before I was to leave for China I was laid off. This lay off came at a real
bad time since I had just paid for my trip to China, Laywer and some medical bills. I
didn't even get a severence. My heart sank as I told my girlfriend I would probably
not be able to come out there since I had to find a job really quick. She told me
that instead she would fly out here and spend 4+ weeks here in the states, regardless
if I could or could not get time off of my new job.

Too make a long story short my girlfriend/fiance left 1 week ago today. We spent 4
wonderful weeks together enjoying each others company. Often times we forgot that we
came from two different cultures. It was magical. I had been very depressed due to my
layoff and the fact I had to take a job that I do not like at all, but her time here
healed all that.

We talked of marriage and want to get married once my divorce is final. Looking at
the timeline of my divorce and time line of the Visa process I figure we can have our
wedding on Valentines day of 2003. It's been a wonderful year with her in my life and
I am hoping that the next few months will bring us the happiness we have been
searching for.

Lastly, I found this little legend the other day while reading up on Chinese customs.

"Chinese legend has it that, at birth, the gods tie an invisible silken red cord
around the ankles of a man and a woman destined to be husband and wife. As the years
pass, the cord grows shorter and shorter, until finally they are united. Nothing can
break this cord -- not distance, not changing circumstances, not even death. Destiny
always has its day."

Take care and thanks in advance for any help you all may be able to give us, -Tim

Old May 30th 2002, 6:20 am
Ranjini

Default Re: Questions and story

Tim, that's a wonderful story and it brought tears to my eyes!! It is much like the
love Ken and I shared... and still share today, after three years of marriage. I am
also Asian.

<<Often times
    > we forgot that we came from two different cultures. It was magical.>>

These words of yours struck a chord in me. I wish you two every happiness. Like the
happiness Ken and I share. Here are links to two wonderful sites:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/faq_index.htm The second link is the FAQ of
this forum. Hope this helps, Best wishes, Ranjini

"Tim Walters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have a couple of questions. My girlfriend, Chinese, and I, American/Ohioian, are
    > planning on getting married once my divorce is finalize, which should be sometime
    > in September. I am looking for a site
or
    > resource to assist us with the visa process. I see a lot of acronyms used
in
    > this group and would like some help understanding what these mean.
    >
    > Is anyone in this group going through this process now with a Chinese citizen? She
    > has some friends in her office that have been through this
and
    > are giving us some good information, so we do have that at a resource.
    >
    > Here's our story:
    >
    > My wife left me for her "true love" that she met playing Everquest about a year
    > ago. After she left I started planning some travel, namely to China.
I
    > figured what a better way to start a new life than plan a trip to this wonderful
    > country. I started posting questions on different boards and groups asking
    > questions and looking for possible tour guides or traveling companions. This is
    > how we met.
    >
    > The email and messenger conversations gave way to daily and nightly phone
    > converstaions. We talk on average between 2 - 6 hours a day. Sometimes 8 - 10 hours
    > on weekend days. After a couple of months we planned a vacation together. I would
    > go to China for 2 weeks and she would come here for two weeks.
    >
    > 3 Weeks before I was to leave for China I was laid off. This lay off came
at
    > a real bad time since I had just paid for my trip to China, Laywer and
some
    > medical bills. I didn't even get a severence. My heart sank as I told my girlfriend
    > I would probably not be able to come out there since I had to find a job really
    > quick. She told me that instead she would fly out here
and
    > spend 4+ weeks here in the states, regardless if I could or could not get time off
    > of my new job.
    >
    > Too make a long story short my girlfriend/fiance left 1 week ago today. We spent 4
    > wonderful weeks together enjoying each others company. Often times we forgot that
    > we came from two different cultures. It was magical. I had been very depressed due
    > to my layoff and the fact I had to take a job that
I
    > do not like at all, but her time here healed all that.
    >
    > We talked of marriage and want to get married once my divorce is final. Looking at
    > the timeline of my divorce and time line of the Visa process I figure we can have
    > our wedding on Valentines day of 2003. It's been a wonderful year with her in my
    > life and I am hoping that the next few
months
    > will bring us the happiness we have been searching for.
    >
    > Lastly, I found this little legend the other day while reading up on
Chinese
    > customs.
    >
    > "Chinese legend has it that, at birth, the gods tie an invisible silken
red
    > cord around the ankles of a man and a woman destined to be husband and
wife.
    > As the years pass, the cord grows shorter and shorter, until finally they are
    > united. Nothing can break this cord -- not distance, not changing circumstances,
    > not even death. Destiny always has its day."
    >
    > Take care and thanks in advance for any help you all may be able to give
us,
    > -Tim

Old May 30th 2002, 7:45 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You were fortunate that she was able to get a tourist visa to come to the US to visit with you. Although I don't believe in soulmates and am not overly sentimental, I am glad that you found someone that brings you happiness and contentment.

May I suggest that you read the following website. On it is a link to an Asian/American organization and a forum devoted to making things a little easier in dealing with the US Consulate in China. It is:

http://bigd47.tripod.com/index-1.html

You will also find more American/Chinese personal websites from former members who went the K-1 process through this NG. You can find the link for homepages here:

The Mysterious Sealed Brown Envelope http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm

R
Old May 31st 2002, 1:20 am
Tim

Thanks for the clarification. You will find that there IS more red tape to get a k-1
or spousal visa on the mainland (through the US Consulate in Guangzhou). However, I
think you have an advantage because of her business visa. It will show the consulate
there more evidence of a valid relationship (because she visited you using it), and
it demonstrates less chance of fraud (because she actually returned to China after
using it). I suspect that the interview she finally gets in Guangzhou will be easy,
it's just all the waiting and documentation you have to do before that day comes. The
two groups you joined will help you through all this.

Regards, Tim

"Tim Walters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > Thanks for the information. I joined the groups that you suggested and look forward
    > to hearing other stories and meeting others in my situation.
    >
    > My girlfriend came over here on a business visa, she is from Beijing and working
    > in Nanjing at the moment. I've read some red tape horror stories about obtaining
    > documents and other materials needed for her Visa. I am hoping we have luck in
    > our future.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > -Tim