Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Questions on the N 400 Application

Questions on the N 400 Application

Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:34 pm
june

June has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud of
Question Questions on the N 400 Application

Hi All

Can someone please assist my husband & I on how to answer 2 questions on the N 400 US Citizenship application????

1. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

My husband has received 2 traffic tickets for speeding, one when he was a legal non immigrant awaiting his adjustment of status, and the other one when he was a conditional permanent resident. Both times he paid the fine in full which was under $500.00 & attended traffic school.

So how should he answer this question? Yes or No

2. Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant?

My husband entered the U.S. on 11/9/02 on a K1 fiance visa he was 26 years old at the time & his status was a legal nonimmigrant. He turned 27 years old the next month on 12/16/02.

How should he answer this question? Yes or NO
Should have he registered with the selective service? If he was supposed to we were not aware of it. We are really nervous about this now.

Can someone who is knowledgable concerning these two questions please advise us as soon as possible as we are getting ready to complete & submit his N-400 U.S. Citizenship application. We want to answer all the question completely truthful & we are afraid we might answer a question like the two questions we need assistance above, incorrectly & it might be interpreted by USCIS as giving false information.

Also does anyone know where to obtain a complete copy of the "Guide to Naturalization" M 476" form? The instructions for the N 400 application refer to this guide continously throughout the instructions. I looked on the USCIS web site and couldn't find it anywhere.

The N 400 instructions refers to this form for guidance on what additional supporting documents needs to be submitted with the N 400 application. Does anyone know what supporting documents needs to be submitted with the N 400 application? My husband is filing for U.S. citizenship based on marriage to me (U.S. Citizen by birth). We have been married for almost 4 yrs now coming this December 2006.

The N 400 instructions also refers to this Guide to Naturalization form in reference to where the N 400 application and supporting documents should be mailed to. All the instructions say is that you need to submit the N 400 application to the USCIS Service Center that has jurisdiction over the area in which you live. We live in San Diego, California so I would assume that we should mail his N 400 application to the California Service Center however a specific address is not given. Does anyone know the address at the California Service Center where we should mail my husband's N 400 application?

Can someone please help us. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Fondly
June
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:42 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions on the N 400 Application

Originally Posted by June
The N 400 instructions also refers to this Guide to Naturalization form in reference to where the N 400 application and supporting documents should be mailed to. All the instructions say is that you need to submit the N 400 application to the USCIS Service Center that has jurisdiction over the area in which you live. We live in San Diego, California so I would assume that we should mail his N 400 application to the California Service Center however a specific address is not given. Does anyone know the address at the California Service Center where we should mail my husband's N 400 application?

Fondly
June
Go to the uscis.gov site. In the upper right hand corner on the home page there is a search function. Type in Guide to Naturalization and up it comes.

Hope this helps,
~SecretGarden
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:47 pm

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

As Folinskyinla is fond of saying, if they ask you do you know the time there are only two possible answers--yes or no. Keep it simple.

Has he ever been cited for any reason. Yes he has. You just explained that to us. "For any reason" means they want to know about it rather than have you decide whether it's important. I think there's a section somewhere to explain if you answer yes to that kind of question, so you can show it wasn't an arrest for murder!

Question 2, I think (and someone will shout if I'm wrong) that you're right that when you come on a K-1 you're a legal non-immigrant with immigrant intent. When you get immigrant status you become an immigrant. I think that happens at AOS. SO he was a legal non-immigrant until (and even for a while after) he turned 27, yes?

I think your answers are yes and no. I'm not a lawyer or an expert, and I'm not advising you what to put on the form. I'm just telling you what I think!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Hi All

Can someone please assist my husband & I on how to answer 2 questions on the N 400 US Citizenship application????

1. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

My husband has received 2 traffic tickets for speeding, one when he was a legal non immigrant awaiting his adjustment of status, and the other one when he was a conditional permanent resident. Both times he paid the fine in full which was under $500.00 & attended traffic school.

So how should he answer this question? Yes or No

2. Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant?

My husband entered the U.S. on 11/9/02 on a K1 fiance visa he was 26 years old at the time & his status was a legal nonimmigrant. He turned 27 years old the next month on 12/16/02.

Should have he registered with the selective service? If he was supposed to we were not aware of it. We are really nervous about this now.

Can someone who is knowledgable concerning these two questions please advise us as soon as possible as we are getting ready to complete & submit his N-400 U.S. Citizenship application. We want to answer all the question completely truthful & we are afraid we might answer a question like the two questions we need assistance above, incorrectly & it might be interpreted by USCIS as giving false information.

Also does anyone know where to obtain a complete copy of the "Guide to Naturalization" M 476" form? The instructions for the N 400 application refer to this guide continously throughout the instructions. I looked on the USCIS web site and couldn't find it anywhere.

The N 400 instructions refers to this form for guidance on what additional supporting documents needs to be submitted with the N 400 application. Does anyone know what supporting documents needs to be submitted with the N 400 application? My husband is filing for U.S. citizenship based on marriage to me (U.S. Citizen by birth). We have been married for almost 4 yrs now coming this December 2006.

Fondly
June
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

So how should he answer this question? Yes or No[/quote[

Yes

No, he entered the US AFTER his 26th birthday. Read the question again.

Fondly
June
Go the USCIS website and order the Guide to be sent through the mail if you don't want to d/l and print out the 50 odd pages. It is invaluable and you should NOT BE COMPLETING THE N-400 WITHOUT IT.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Lawful = legal

Those who do not have to register for the SS are listed on the SS website and they can be legal or illegal aliens. Only certain males are not required to register.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:28 pm
june

June has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud of
Question Re: Questions on the N 400 Application

Originally Posted by Rete
Lawful = legal

Those who do not have to register for the SS are listed on the SS website and they can be legal or illegal aliens. Only certain males are not required to register.

Hi Rete,

Thanks for your response. Do you know what the SS website is??

Fondly June
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:32 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rete,

Thanks for your response. Do you know what the SS website is??

Fondly June
If you do a google search on social security it comes up first thing.

www.ssa.gov

Hope that helps!
~SG
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:43 pm
june

Question Re: Questions on the N 400 Application

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Go to the uscis.gov site. In the upper right hand corner on the home page there is a search function. Type in Guide to Naturalization and up it comes.

Hope this helps,
~SecretGarden
Hi Secret Garden thanks again for your response. I followed your directions as you stated in your resonse to me but it keeps coming up as NOT FOUND. Am I doing something wrong? Can you bring up the Guide to Naturalization document?
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

www.ssa.gov

Hope that helps!
~SG
I think June might have wanted the Selective Service website: http://www.sss.gov/

Rene
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Secret Garden thanks again for your response. I followed your directions as you stated in your resonse to me but it keeps coming up as NOT FOUND. Am I doing something wrong? Can you bring up the Guide to Naturalization document?
Here's another link to the Naturalization Guide: http://www.ailc.com/services/natz/English.pdf

Rene
Old Nov 1st 2006, 11:58 pm
Concierge

www.ssa.gov

Hope that helps!
~SG

heheheh Selective Service, SG
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:37 pm
The Missus

Originally Posted by Rete
heheheh Selective Service, SG
Ah hell. Sorry, June. Hope you found what you were looking for.

~SecretGarden
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:55 pm
june

Red face Re: Questions on the N 400 Application

[QUOTE=SecretGarden]Ah hell. Sorry, June. Hope you found what you were looking for.

~SecretGarden[/QUOTE

Thanks Secret Garden I did

Fondly
June
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

jemavalon is an unknown quantity at this point

Your husband entered the US after his 26th birthday (you say, he was 26 years old already) -- and the question is about "time between 18th and 26th birthdays" not about the age -- so regardless of what status he had the answer to the question should be NO at least with regard to his last entry. I assume that if he had visited US prior to that last entry, he had a valid non-immigrant status. Selective Service registration is only for males 18 to 25 y.o.