Wikiposts

Questions on mum immigration

Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

azkahrs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions on mum immigration

So my mom and dad are in the process of a divorce and mom is considering a move to the US to be with us.

I am a naturalized citizen so can apply for immediate relative, and figure I'm looking at about 9 -18 months for processing.

Mom will be 56/57 when she comes over so still pretty young. I have a few questions though.

1. Are my calculations correct for processing (my petition+consular)?
2. If she is in process of the application can she travel to US to visit/buy a home etc?
3. I understand that there are significant costs involved with insuring someone that is older. Would it be more beneficial to my mother to take a job rather than us pay her to help out with the kids as she with the later she wouldn't earn any ss credit? We originally thought that the difference between and min wage job and being a caregiver would be inconsequesntial, but this may be the big reason have her take that walmart greeter job !
4. If she eventually qualifies for medicare (5 years) and she gets super sick and exceeds her maximums, unless she has become a USC we will still be financially responsible for her medical costs due to AFS - correct?
4. Any other advice you can give would be great - we are all trying to get our heads around the best options for our family.

Sarah K
Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions on mum immigration

Originally Posted by azkahrs
1. Are my calculations correct for processing (my petition+consular)?
You didn't say what country she's immigrating from...but I'm assuming UK. Currently the process for an immigrant visa for a parent through London is about 8 - 10 months.

2. If she is in process of the application can she travel to US to visit/buy a home etc?
Yes.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the insurance side of things.

Rene
Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

She would need first to find a job, which has Insurance. This may be a big ask.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know for sure but just because she becomes of age to use medicare doesn't mean she would be eligible. I think she needs to have worked and paid medicare tax for 40 quarters. In terms of medical insurance, 56 is old and without employer sponsored coverage, it will not be cost friendly to insure her, especially if she has any medical conditions. You may be able to still employ her to look after your kids and offer medical coverage as an employer. On the flip side, you may also be on the hook for paying workers comp insurance and all the other taxes. It would make more sense for her to get a job that offers health insurance. Most large stores will offer some sort of health plan for employees.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

You become eligible for medicare when you reach 65 and you have worked for ten years and contributed to Medicare. That is the time frame for Duncans 40 quarters. However if you don't have the 40 quarters you can buy into medicare at 65 on a sliding scale depending how many quarters you have.

See http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourhealth/...edicare_9.html
Old Mar 27th 2010, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your answers. Looks like we'll need to get New Immigrant/Bridge policy if she doesn't get work anyway.

So to confirm on the medicare peice. She would be eligible to buy in to Part A after 5 years, if she has not completed the 40q's for $$, and eligible like everyone else for part B.

Additionally, if she becomes a citizen, is the AFS voided?

Sarah
Old Mar 27th 2010, 7:27 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your answers. Looks like we'll need to get New Immigrant/Bridge policy if she doesn't get work anyway.

So to confirm on the medicare peice. She would be eligible to buy in to Part A after 5 years, if she has not completed the 40q's for $$, and eligible like everyone else for part B.

Sarah
Despite the name quarter, SSA actually calculate it over the whole year. You can earn a maximum of 4 quarters over a year, and each quarter requires earnings of $1,120. So all she needs to earn every year every year is $4,480 for full credit. Look for a part-time or seasonal job to build those quarters.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah
I assume by "AFS" you mean the I-864 Affidavit of Support (AOS)? If so, then yes, once she becomes a USC, the AOS is voided.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 2:22 am
Just Joined

I think if she does decide to do the kiddie care thing the best thing would be for her to be a self employed day care provider at her home (she's buying in our subdivision) and pay her ss $$ that way.

I understand that we can't make her a household employee as she is my parent and we're not divorced or disabled.

Sarah