Wikiposts

questions on I-864 form

Old Sep 17th 2001, 8:11 pm
Vaspecad1

my joint sponsor has 2 questions that i hope you can answer:

first question:

in Part 4, section B it asks me to list my dependants. My only dependant is my mother
who is living with me and collecting disability, should i consider her as a person
related to me by birth (ie #1) or does that only count for any children i have. or do
i count her as a person who is otherwise dependant on me as claimed in my tax
return(ie #4). i know the total people i am supporting will be 3; my friends
immigrating wife, my mother, and myself, but im just trying to be as anal as i can
and make sure my mother is recorded in the right section. does this matter? am i
being too anal?

2nd question:

i am active in the US ARMY. In part 4, section D of the I-864 it says to list the
sponsors individual income. last years tax return only shows my income as about 16k
but that is only due to the fact that a large portion of my income is non taxable. my
full income is almost 30k and is listed on my LAS (army issued form of my status and
income) is it ok for me to list the amount shown on this LAS form? i will be
submitting this form as my proof of employment. should i just explain the reason for
the difference in my tax forms and actual income on a seperate sheet? any advice or
help would be appreciated.

oh, also, the LAS form shows a monthly income breakdown, i intend to just multiply
this amount by 12 for an annual figure and enter that figure where it asks for
"sponsors individual income" in this section.

please tell me if you think this isnt a wise choice. i just dont want to be screwed
if they decide not to "recognize" my non taxable income for whatever reason even
though i have documentation from the government showing that i AM making this amount.

thanks for your help

jon

Old Sep 17th 2001, 11:36 pm
Andy Platt

>
is my
    >
her
    >
    >
on
    >
supporting
    >
    >
right
    >

Yes you are being too anal - but that's OK with the INS forms! I honestly think it
doesn't matter but I would put her in #1.

>
list
    >
income as
    >
income is
    >
issued
    >
this
    >
should i
    >
income on
    >

Since you always count your gross salary, it should be OK. Most people's taxable
income is lower than their salary (things like 401(k) plans etc)). For me this is all
covered on the W2 - do you get a W2 at the end of the year? In any case, surely you
get *something* at the end of the year showing your income that year?

BTW, I assume you know you only need to make 100% of the poverty level and not 125%?

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Sep 18th 2001, 5:42 am
Vaspecad1

well actually since i am a joint sponsor i am fulfilling the requirement of my
friend who isnt in the military and therefore need to meet the 125% level. thanks
for your input, im hoping the LAS form i have is suffivient proof to show what ive
made/am making.

jon