Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Questions about post-interview passport

Questions about post-interview passport

Old Jun 3rd 2012, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

charlieumtali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about post-interview passport

I've had a search for this already, but I don't think I've been using the correct search terms, so my apologies in advance if this is the thousandth time this has been answered!

I have my CR-1 interview in London on Monday 25th June, and my wife and I are looking to do a couple of weeks of a tour of Europe before our big immigration move to the US.

As we'd obviously like to get cracking on the bookings etc., I have the following questions that I'd really appreciate some guidance with:

Assuming it all goes to plan, and I'm approved on the interview day:

a) What should I expect as a turnaround time on getting my passport back in hand? Is there a choice of courier delivery dates for an extra fee?

b) Can I use my passport in other countries before heading to our POE? I understand that I'll get my passport and a not-to-be-opened-by-me 'packet' for the border officer, but is there something in the passport that requires me to fly to the US before anywhere else?

On the face of it, I know these sound like silly questions, and every case is unique in terms of timescales, but any experience you guys and gals may have around this would be very welcomed!
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 7:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about post-interview passport

Originally Posted by charlieumtali
a) What should I expect as a turnaround time on getting my passport back in hand? Is there a choice of courier delivery dates for an extra fee?
I believe typical turnaround time is a week to 10 days. Your own mileage may vary, so don't actually buy any tickets until you have your passport back in hand with visa inside. I believe you can pay extra for *morning* delivery, but you can't pay extra for sooner delivery than the day it's already scheduled for.

b) Can I use my passport in other countries before heading to our POE?
Yes.

I understand that I'll get my passport and a not-to-be-opened-by-me 'packet' for the border officer, but is there something in the passport that requires me to fly to the US before anywhere else?
No.

Rene
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:08 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

But, I recommend that you don't spend few weeks in places like Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, or Yemen between now and when you try to enter the USA.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No.

Rene
Originally Posted by charlieumtali
b) Can I use my passport in other countries before heading to our POE? I understand that I'll get my passport and a not-to-be-opened-by-me 'packet' for the border officer, but is there something in the passport that requires me to fly to the US before anywhere else?
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

charlieumtali is an unknown quantity at this point

Rene - Thank you for the concise answers.

Jeff - Good point, I can only hope Sweden, Italy and Spain aren't considered in the same league.