Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Questions about immunisations required

Questions about immunisations required

Old Feb 28th 2002, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

RickQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about immunisations required

I am trying to find some information on which injections I need to get from the doctor before going for my interview but all I can find is a list of all the injections, nothing specific for the UK.

I have read (from people's personal experiences) that we only require the MMR jab, Tetanus and Diptheria to be current. Does anyone know if this is correct, or which others are required.

Also, I was led to believe that it is necessary for the Dr to administer the injections and provide paperwork to that effect but my own Drs surgery insist that only the nurses give injections and this will be ok. Does anyone know if the nurse can do it? If the nurse gave me the injections and the Dr provided some form of written proof that I had been given them, would that suffice?

If anyone could help I would be most grateful. I have already had one false start with this and am struggling to find accurate information.

Rick
Old Feb 28th 2002, 8:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about immunisations required

As long as it is done in a doctor's office there is no problem. There is no where on the paperwork that specifies that a medical doctor has to punture your arm with a needle ;-)

You need what is on list and if you are over the age of 16 it is safe to assume that you have had most of what is required and only will need a supplement/booster and perhaps the chicken pox vaccination.
Old Feb 28th 2002, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

UK residents need only be concerned with the MMR and Tetanus/diptheria (Td).

You can have the jabs done at your GP's or at Dr Phelan's. In both cases, it is likely to be the nurse who administers the jabs and signs the certificate. There are standard vaccination certificates they use, so Dr Phelan will have no trouble recognising them.

You only need the Td if you haven't had it in the past 10 years. If you are due for a booster, you can have it done on the NHS for free, or you can pay about £25 at Dr Phelan's.

If you have had the MMR, separate vaccines or suffered the actual diseases, you are considered to protected for life, and won't need the vaccine. But you do need the evidence to prove this, so may want to go through your medical records with your GP or practice nurse.

I went through mine with the nurse, and she photocopied the relevent pages, showing that I had a measles vac, and had suffered mumps as a child, and stamped them with the official practice stamp. I also had a record from my antenatal notes showing that I was immune to rubella. With these, I was able to avoid the MMR.

Vaccinations are not a show-stopper. If you don't get it sorted out before interview day, you can have them done at your medical. It's just a matter of money.

ps: forget the chicken pox vaccination. It is not available prophylactically in the UK. It is basically only given to newborn infants of susceptible mothers who have come into contact with the disease, and other people of similar need.
Old Feb 28th 2002, 10:52 pm
Random

Why not try the London Embassy's own information pages:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...iv/medexam.htm
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...iv/vaccine.htm
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...ccinechart.htm

My and my childrens vaccinations were done by our medical practice nurse at their
regular immunisations clinic, I had her stamp the US Embassy medical letter (which
they gave me at the medical, we had the injections done after) with the practice
rubber stamp and she signed/dated it. Worked for me. That was in 2000. Something like
that would probably do as proof for you to get the I693S vaccination supplement from
an AOS-approved doctor when it is time for your AOS (we did AOS before the I693S was
required, the INS officer accepted the stamped letter as proof).

"RickQ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I am trying to find some information on which injections I need to get from the
    > doctor before going for my interview but all I can find is a list of all the
    > injections, nothing specific for the UK.
    >
    > I have read (from people's personal experiences) that we only require the MMR jab,
    > Tetanus and Diptheria to be current. Does anyone know if this is correct, or which
    > others are required.
    >
    > Also, I was led to believe that it is necessary for the Dr to administer the
    > injections and provide paperwork to that effect but my own Drs surgery insist that
    > only the nurses give injections and this will be ok. Does anyone know if the nurse
    > can do it? If the nurse gave me the injections and the Dr provided some form of
    > written proof that I had been given them, would that suffice?
    >
    > If anyone could help I would be most grateful. I have already had one false start
    > with this and am struggling to find accurate information.
    >
    > Rick
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 1st 2002, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

california is an unknown quantity at this point

:-) Am laughing about this topic. I had my med exam 2 days ago in manila and i didn't take the immunization shots. Believe me, I was scared looking at the needle! In manila, they would administer the MMR and tetanus. While i was in the immunization window, i was asked if i want to be shot here or in the USA. Their warning is you should not get pregnant after 3 months. I said, okay i just want to take the shot here coz anyway the med. fee is inclusive of the immunization already. So the nurse let me in in the immunization room and let me sit down. Grrrr... while the nurse was preparing for the 2 needles and while looking at it , i was too scared and i was nervous and my shoulder and hands freezes LOL... so i instead stood up and told her, Ma'm i just don't want to take the shot. She smiled and said okay. and she put a note in my vaccination worksheet stating: K-1 applicant prefers to be immunized in the USA and she handed my worksheet to the doctor who signed it. I was done :-)
I just don't like the idea of having immunized. I think that is only for the newly born children. I am already in my early 30's and why the need by the way? When i get to the US, i don't really know what to do as this is really a requirement with INS. I can't help it but am totally scared....
Old Mar 1st 2002, 6:35 am
Maarten W.G. An

> I have read (from people's personal experiences) that we only require the MMR jab,
    > Tetanus and Diptheria to be current. Does anyone know if this is correct, or which
    > others are required.

Thats correct. I had to have the MMR shot only, because I had a DTP shot a few months
before for travel purposes and I still had vaccination records of
it. If you haven't had either recently you will get the MMR shot and a DTP shot. The
DTP shot will hurt a bit for a day or so, nothing to worry bout though.

> Also, I was led to believe that it is necessary for the Dr to administer the
    > injections and provide paperwork to that effect but my own Drs surgery insist that
    > only the nurses give injections and this will be ok. Does anyone know if the nurse
    > can do it? If the nurse gave me the injections and the Dr provided some form of
    > written proof that I had been given them, would that suffice?

Does it matter who adminsters them for the INS? Nope. If the nurse is qualified to
give injections (and a nurse should be!) they can give the injections. The INS
doesn't care who administers them and how it is done. The only thing you might
require is proof indeed. In my case, it was sent to the U.S. Consulate as the doctor
had an agreement with them. However, I did DCF in the Netherlands, so it could be
different in the U.K.

Maarten

Old Mar 2nd 2002, 12:05 pm
Bonnie M

Just thought I would add that I called the school that Robyn will be attending in
Florida and he has to have started the Hep B shots before he can be registered. My
own doctor will start it here and then it will have to be completed there. Bonnie

"Maarten W.G. Andriessen" <@dutchusa..com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > I have read (from people's personal experiences) that we only require the MMR
    > > jab, Tetanus and Diptheria to be current. Does anyone know if this is correct, or
    > > which others are required.
    >
    > Thats correct. I had to have the MMR shot only, because I had a DTP shot a few
    > months before for travel purposes and I still had vaccination records
of
    > it. If you haven't had either recently you will get the MMR shot and a DTP shot.
    > The DTP shot will hurt a bit for a day or so, nothing to worry bout though.
    >
    > > Also, I was led to believe that it is necessary for the Dr to administer the
    > > injections and provide paperwork to that effect but my own Drs surgery insist
    > > that only the nurses give injections and this will be ok. Does anyone know if the
    > > nurse can do it? If the nurse gave me the injections and the Dr provided some
    > > form of written proof that I had been given them, would that suffice?
    >
    > Does it matter who adminsters them for the INS? Nope. If the nurse is qualified to
    > give injections (and a nurse should be!) they can give the injections. The INS
    > doesn't care who administers them and how it is done. The only thing you might
    > require is proof indeed. In my case, it was sent
to
    > the U.S. Consulate as the doctor had an agreement with them. However, I
did
    > DCF in the Netherlands, so it could be different in the U.K.
    >
    > Maarten