Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Questions About I-693 Medical Examination

Wikiposts

Questions About I-693 Medical Examination

Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:00 am
I3illiards

Default Questions About I-693 Medical Examination

Hi, I just wondered,

1) do they test for marijuana/THC in the I-693 Medical
2) Do you need to submit form i-693 at the same time as applying for
AOS? or can you get it closer to your interview after submitting all
other forms?

Thanks

i3illiards

Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:17 am

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions About I-693 Medical Examination

Originally Posted by I3illiards
Hi, I just wondered,

1) do they test for marijuana/THC in the I-693 Medical
other forms?

Thanks

i3illiards
The answer to your question is Stop Smoking the Wacky-Backy! You don't get to see the medical report; it's sealed. And they WILL ask if you have ever taken illegal drugs at the interview. You better be sure the answer you give fits the facts they have!

Here's a copy of the form that you WON"T see once it's been filled in: http://www.durrani.com/docs/I-693.pdf

Note, there are check boxes for everything from syphillis to drug adiction, sexual deviation (whatever that is!) to mental retardation. I don't think every doctor checks for all of them.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:45 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scarlett-Dallas
And they WILL ask if you have ever taken illegal drugs at the interview. You better be sure the answer you give fits the facts they have!
They certainly didn't ask me. What they did ask if if I had ever committed I crime for which I hadn't been arrested, which encompasses that, but there was no mention of illegal drugs.
Here's a copy of the form that you WON"T see once it's been filled in: http://www.durrani.com/docs/I-693.pdf

Note, there are check boxes for everything from syphillis to drug adiction, sexual deviation (whatever that is!) to mental retardation. I don't think every doctor checks for all of them.
That form is so out of date it's amazing. I think that now the only things that anyone is tested for are TB and AIDS, but I could be wrong. Anyone else enlighten me, please?
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:57 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I3illiards
other forms?
You need to send it along with the whole AOS package.

Rene
Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:31 am
Hull lass

workboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
They certainly didn't ask me. What they did ask if if I had ever committed I crime for which I hadn't been arrested, which encompasses that, but there was no mention of illegal drugs.That form is so out of date it's amazing. I think that now the only things that anyone is tested for are TB and AIDS, but I could be wrong. Anyone else enlighten me, please?
When I had my medical, they gave me the sealed envelope PLUS a copy of the results (not even in an envelope). My TB test was positive, so I had to have a chest X-ray (all ok - had the TB jab when I was 13).
They test for Syphillis, HIV, Smallpox, Chickenpox. The doc who did my tests also asked about any mental history, current medication, current medical problems (none/anti-inflammatories/osteoarthritis).
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:29 am
Mh

In article <[email protected]. com>,
I3illiards <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi, I just wondered,
    >1) do they test for marijuana/THC in the I-693 Medical
    >2) Do you need to submit form i-693 at the same time as applying for
    >AOS? or can you get it closer to your interview after submitting all
    >other forms?
    >Thanks
    >i3illiards

1) Not sure, but, if you do plan on staying in the US, I'd advise you avoid
marijuana at all costs. The US seems extremely strict (compared to Canada)
regarding drugs. Drugs are also classified as CIMT (Crimes involving moral
turpitude), AFAIK, and a prior drug offense will cause all sorts of
problems.

2) Hmm. I'm trying to remember. I _THINK_ I brought my i-693 to the
interview, but I'm not sure anymore.

MH

Old Oct 17th 2006, 10:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mh
2) Hmm. I'm trying to remember. I _THINK_ I brought my i-693 to the
interview, but I'm not sure anymore.

MH
Hi MH,

Previously, it was OK to bring the medical to the interview. More recently, it has been required to send it along with the AOS package. If not, an RFE is issued for it.

Rene
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:55 am
Mh

In article <[email protected]> ,
Noorah101 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]. com>,
    >> I3illiards <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >Hi, I just wondered,
    >> >1) do they test for marijuana/THC in the I-693 Medical
    >> >2) Do you need to submit form i-693 at the same time as applying for
    >> > AOS? or can you get it closer to your interview after submitting
    >> > all
    >> > other forms?
    >> > Thanks
    >> > i3illiards
    >> 1) Not sure, but, if you do plan on staying in the US, I'd advise you
    >> avoid
    >> marijuana at all costs. The US seems extremely strict (compared to
    >> Canada)
    >> regarding drugs. Drugs are also classified as CIMT (Crimes
    >> involving moral
    >> turpitude), AFAIK, and a prior drug offense will cause all sorts of
    >> problems.
    >> 2) Hmm. I'm trying to remember. I _THINK_ I brought my i-693 to the
    >> interview, but I'm not sure anymore.
    >> MH
    >Hi MH,
    >Previously, it was OK to bring the medical to the interview. More
    >recently, it has been required to send it along with the AOS package.
    >If not, an RFE is issued for it.

AH, maybe that's why I thought I remembered bringing it.

Thanks for the info, Rene.

MH

Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

In many parts of the world it is not illegal to partake of the herb. So it is an interesting question.

t

Originally Posted by nettlebed
They certainly didn't ask me. What they did ask if if I had ever committed I crime for which I hadn't been arrested, which encompasses that, but there was no mention of illegal drugs.That form is so out of date it's amazing. I think that now the only things that anyone is tested for are TB and AIDS, but I could be wrong. Anyone else enlighten me, please?
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mh
Drugs are also classified as CIMT (Crimes involving moral
turpitude), AFAIK, and a prior drug offense will cause all sorts of
problems.
Hi:

Really? Trafficking is a CIMT. But drugs offenses are in a category by themselves and they are NOT considered CIMT's. This can have some strange effects at times.

There is a waiver for simple possession of less than 30 grams of MJ -- but its a bitch. Once a person is here, simple possession of less than 30 grams of MJ is not a removable offense, but one would not want to travel. [One of my clients has a removal order with the ink barely dry on a 1989 conviction of possession of 4.2 grams of stems and seeds -- she made a mistake of traveling abroad for two weeks. She has had her green card since 1977. The battle has now shifted to the Board of Immigration Appeals. Funny thing is that there is ONE CASE on the issue and its from the MOST "CONSERVATIVE" circuit in the country. Go figure.]

BTW, the law used to have a ground of deporation for convictions related to "marijuana and narcotic drugs." This is the provision that was used against John Lennon. His excellent immigration lawyer [a personal hero of mine -- Leon is a man of huge stature in my eyes even if he is two 8 inches shorter than I am.] Leon wanted to know if there was a difference between marijuana and hasish -- John said that, in fact, there was -- hash was "much better."

The former INS used to argue that "hash" was the same as Marijuana. However, once Congress put in that 30 gram bit, INS changed its mind for some reason. In any case, the law now talks about "controlled substances" -- I remember when we could argue that nasties like Meth and PCP were not marijuana or a "narcotic."

The immigration laws on drugs can get might weird at times.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:24 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scarlett-Dallas
I was given a copy by the doctor after the exam all filled out ...
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:25 am
Mh

In article <[email protected]> ,
Folinskyinla <member4043@british_expats.com> wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]. com>,
    >> I3illiards <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >Hi, I just wondered,
    >> >1) do they test for marijuana/THC in the I-693 Medical
    >> >2) Do you need to submit form i-693 at the same time as applying for
    >> > AOS? or can you get it closer to your interview after submitting
    >> > all
    >> > other forms?
    >> > Thanks
    >> > i3illiards
    >> 1) Not sure, but, if you do plan on staying in the US, I'd advise you
    >> avoid
    >> marijuana at all costs. The US seems extremely strict (compared to
    >> Canada)
    >> regarding drugs. Drugs are also classified as CIMT (Crimes
    >> involving moral
    >> turpitude), AFAIK, and a prior drug offense will cause all sorts of
    >> problems.
    >> 2) Hmm. I'm trying to remember. I _THINK_ I brought my i-693 to the
    >> interview, but I'm not sure anymore.
    >> MH
    >Hi:
    >Really? Trafficking is a CIMT. But drugs offenses are in a category by
    >themselves and they are NOT considered CIMT's. This can have some
    >strange effects at times.

Sorry, my mistake. Not something I've ever had to split hairs about :-)

Thanks for the interesting info!

MH