Wikiposts

Question regarding US Citizenship

Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:03 am
Just Joined

We Shall Be is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question regarding US Citizenship

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can clarify the following:

1: I'm a British Citizen, been a US Resident through marriage to a US Citizen since 03/17/2004. We may, i say may, be splitting..

2: I do not want to give up my British status, any experience with dual citizenship and is it worth it? Would it be beneficial for me to hold citizenship for both countries with having a daugther here?

3: Recently had a baby girl born in the US. She qualifies for British citizenship correct?

4. I am a business owner, not that this matters but it may.

5. On my N400 form which i have filled out:
Total days outside of the US in last five years - 233
Trips of 24 hours or more outside of the US - 20

Am i ok with that? All trips have been work related.

Thanks.

WSB.
Thank-you.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 13th 2009 at 10:19 am. Reason: fixed your duel typo to dual
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding US Citizenship

Originally Posted by We Shall Be
1: I'm a British Citizen, been a US Resident through marriage to a US Citizen since 03/17/2004. We may, i say may, be splitting..
You need to be in a valid, ongoing marriage if you are basing your eligibility on your marriage to a USC. If you've been a PR since 2004, you were eligible 2 years ago. That said, if you're now been a PR for 5 years, you don't have to base the eligibility on your marriage, and it won't matter if you guys split up.

2: I do not want to give up my British status, any experience with duel citizenship and is it worth it?
Check out our Wiki section, there is an article there on the pros and cons of dual USA/UK citizenship.

Would it be beneficial for me to hold citizenship for both countries with having a daugther here?
If you have kids involved, I highly recommend having dual citizenship. It's the only way you'll be guaranteed entry into both countries.

5. On my N400 form which i have filled out:
Total days outside of the US in last five years - 233
Trips of 24 hours or more outside of the US - 20

Am i ok with that? All trips have been work related.
Go to www.uscis.gov, and find the "USCIS Guide to Naturalization". There is a chart in there which helps you figure out if your time outside the USA makes you ineligible or not.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:23 am
Just Joined

We Shall Be is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats very helpgul indeed, thank-you for that. I was unaware of being eligible on the citizenship 2 years ago, and the fact that i now dont need to worry about the marriage side...anyone here deal in divorces!!

Seriously though, i'll check out the links.

I know theres plenty on here who have dual, you/they dont have any issues on the British side?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 13th 2009 at 10:19 am. Reason: Sorry I had to fix duel (to fight with swords) to dual (having two of)
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thats very helpgul indeed, thank-you for that. I was unaware of being eligible on the citizenship 2 years ago, and the fact that i now dont need to worry about the marriage side...anyone here deal in divorces!!

I know theres plenty on here who have duel, you/they dont have any issues on the British side?

Thanks again.
Check out the wiki, there are a couple of very good entries that cover dual citizenship from both sides. You can also find the info on how to sort out your child's paperwork (best done now than in the future).
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I know theres plenty on here who have duel, you/they dont have any issues on the British side?

Thanks again.
No issues on either side. The US though, is more of a stickler. The US requires all UScits to enter and leave the US on their US passports. I'm not aware of any such thing for the UK.

Btw, my hubby is actually a tri-citizen (US/UK/South Africa) and he's not had any probs.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, be aware you'll be filing a US tax return for life.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:22 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Some collective wisdom from the forum.....

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Natura...ship_Resources
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:16 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

and be aware that you will be unable to legally remove the child from the US without the specific agreement of the other parent. Cant even apply for the childs US passport without both parents being present. If you do try and go without permission you open yourself up to a whole can of worms that could include kidnapping charges and possible detrimental effect on future custody arrangements.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:43 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again.
Hi:

OT. I just love your use of "duel." Philosophically speaking, the problem with dual citizenship cover the situations when it becomes dueling citizenship.

The last the US and the UK went to war involved, in part, the issue of dual citizenship becoming dueling citizenship. However, in 1815, the two countries decided to let it ride and it was no problem.

BTW, one of my brothers-in-law holds dual citizenship and it has not been a problem.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

See here for a pretty good in-depth discussion of dual citizenship:

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

- Eric S.