Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Question to ones who got married at the courthouse

Question to ones who got married at the courthouse

Old Feb 20th 2003, 6:24 am
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question to ones who got married at the courthouse

My fiance & I are just gonna get married at the courthouse in my city & I am just wondering to others who have done the same thing, (For the women) What did you wear? I know it might sound silly but am just curious. Thanks
Old Feb 20th 2003, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Jo_B will become famous soon enoughJo_B will become famous soon enough

Spur of the moment for us, we were in our jeans, t-shirts and tennis shoes.
Old Feb 20th 2003, 10:28 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question to ones who got married at the courthouse

Originally posted by PEACHSTER
My fiance & I are just gonna get married at the courthouse in my city & I am just wondering to others who have done the same thing, (For the women) What did you wear? I know it might sound silly but am just curious. Thanks
In 1968 when I married in a courthouse I wore business clothes, i.e. dress and boots (it was during a snowstorm) and hubby wore a suit. Wear whatever you wish. It is your wedding day. Bring a camera and have someone take a photo of you two on your special day.

Rete
Old Feb 20th 2003, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

desusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Our wedding was just us and two friends as witnesses and I wore my wedding dress which was a white knee-length cocktail dress. By no means a traditional wedding dress but I never felt comfortable in the princess dresses anyway! At times leading up to the day I felt that maybe I should just leave my special dress for when I had my family and friends there to celebrate our marriage and make a fuss but then of course what better day to wear all the garb than your actual wedding day no matter who else is there! I also thought that wearing casual clothes would be fun too. Whatever you both feel comfortable with on the day. But in the end I wanted my husband to see me in a certain way on that day. For your wedding it is entirely up to you!
Old Feb 20th 2003, 12:06 pm
unDAUNTEd

KissingtheBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband wore dress pants and a nice shirt and I wore a skirt and a blouse. Nothing too fancy, but we were comfortable!!

Ang
Old Feb 20th 2003, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

sarina is an unknown quantity at this point

You can wear what ever you want. Some people are dressed up some are not. Me and my Husband just went one day right after work.
Old Feb 20th 2003, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

A nice (blue, knee-length) dress with a matching scarve draped around my shoulders.

Caroline
Old Feb 20th 2003, 4:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Caro
A nice (blue, knee-length) dress with a matching scarve draped around my shoulders.

Caroline
But of course! You probably out-styled us all, Caro. French & all

DAH & I wore white linen shirts (Greece & all) and me a dressy skirt and he khaki trousers (pressed to kill). Since it was too early in the year for our traditional sandals, we had to opt for closed shoes. Simple flowers and giant smiles and it was a beautiful thing.
Old Feb 20th 2003, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

imkimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

When my husband and I got married (11/99), I wore a knee length white dress with white stockings and white shoes. I did however get a bouquet. He wore khaki pants, white shirt and a new tie. Now he only wears that tie on our anniversaries. It was a nice tradition to start.

Kimberly
Old Feb 20th 2003, 6:52 pm
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys.

I gotta go shopping. heh
Old Feb 21st 2003, 12:43 am
Alpona

Hi,
I wore a green silk and brocade saree( national dress of India)....and
some traditional jewellery!
Craig wore a nice blue shirt and black pants.I got stared at...in a
nice way!!!
Was a great feeling to be together...getting married....Just have fun
no matter what you decide to wear!!
Best wishes,
alpona

Old Feb 21st 2003, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

desusa is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing I forgot to add was that my Mum and Dad bought me a beautiful pashmina before I left Australia that I could wear around my shoulders during the day. This was to symbolise their support around me as they could not be there for the wedding. It brings tears to my eyes but it was one of the sweetest ways to remind me of their love and support with me on the day!
I wish you both a lovely wedding day no matter what you wear!
Old Feb 21st 2003, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Peachster:

No you don't sound silly. =)

For my first marriage 23 years ago, I wore a lovely eggshell colored, just below the knee sleeveless dress made of georgette that I found on sale. To liven it up, the designer had belted the dress with two narrow satin ribbons of eggshell and light mauvethat were long enough to trail prettily in the wind when tied. It ended up looking very 'wedding-like' despite it being a regular spring dress. My ex-husband purchased his very first suit for the occasion (we were college kids on a limited budget).

The thing I went "hard core wedding" on despite the courthouse setting was my hair. I got my hair braided in one of the many styles that African-American brides wore at the time, with pearls at the hairline and ended with beads of glass and mother of pearl which my hairdresser loaned me for the wedding.

No matter what you wear, it will still be lovely. Since its your wedding day and, as my Dekka always tells me when I fuss about this type of thing, all brides are beautiful to their grooms.

Have fun at the mall!
Old Feb 21st 2003, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys.

I gotta go shopping. heh
I also thought that having flowers was nice and looked "festive". I wanted a small bouquet (a couple of orange lilies with yellow astromerias and red tiny flowers, all tied together with white and blue ribbons (I bought the blue ribbon at JoAnn in Ann Arbor, and it looked like it was the leftover from my dress: same color, same exact material and made in France... I just couldn't believe it!)) and my husband insisted that he wanted a matching boutoniere (even though he was rather surprised by the colors I picked... but it was November, and I had a blue dress). I would never have imagined he would have liked one. It looked really nice on the pictures.

Caroline
Old Feb 21st 2003, 3:13 pm
Polish Jelly

ania is an unknown quantity at this point

when I was getting married...I looked more like if I was going to a funeral than my wedding....black skirt and blouse... my husband had his work clothes .
I had flowers that I cought on my husband's sister's wedding couple months before....they were made of silk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.