Question about working/EAD

Old May 25th 2014, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice
Default Question about working/EAD

Hi,

I'm on the cusp of accepting a job in New York, and have a query regarding my partner's (soon to be Wife's) working situation.

I'll be going over on an E2 visa and she'll come over as my spouse. I understand that she has to apply for an EAD before she can start working for a company in the US, and that the process can take up to 90 days.

Her current employer are based in the UK, and have an office in New York. They are not able to sponsor her for a visa, so I have two questions:

1. Could she be seconded to their New York office, and work from there, whilst being employed (paid) in the UK, during those initial 90 days? Then, as soon as the EAD comes through, the company can take her on in New York as a US Employee.

2. If the above is illegal/not possible, Could she fly to the US with me and apply for the EAD asap, do the biometrics/interview etc, and then fly back to the UK and work there, until the EAD comes through?

Thanks for your help with this.

Stuart

Last edited by saintstu; May 25th 2014 at 9:38 am. Reason: typo
Old May 25th 2014, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

jodvova is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question about working/EAD

1. She can go for a business trip to the US, but she cannot work for the US entity and get paid by the US entity. And as far as I understand the word secondment, it implies that.
It will basically look the same as going on a business trip on ESTA or B1/B2.

2. Apparently it's possible, but better consult with a lawyer.
http://www.trackitt.com/usa-discussi...-outside-of-us
Old May 25th 2014, 3:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saintstu
Hi,

I'm on the cusp of accepting a job in New York, and have a query regarding my partner's (soon to be Wife's) working situation.

I'll be going over on an E2 visa and she'll come over as my spouse. I understand that she has to apply for an EAD before she can start working for a company in the US, and that the process can take up to 90 days.

Her current employer are based in the UK, and have an office in New York. They are not able to sponsor her for a visa, so I have two questions:

1. Could she be seconded to their New York office, and work from there, whilst being employed (paid) in the UK, during those initial 90 days? Then, as soon as the EAD comes through, the company can take her on in New York as a US Employee.

2. If the above is illegal/not possible, Could she fly to the US with me and apply for the EAD asap, do the biometrics/interview etc, and then fly back to the UK and work there, until the EAD comes through?

Thanks for your help with this.

Stuart
Option 2 is the way to go.

Rene
Old May 25th 2014, 3:58 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

"Biometrics" are taken only in the US.

If an attorney is involved in the E-2 application, perhaps a telephone call or e-mail might be in order. This answer may be on the fuzzy side -- that often happens in immigration law. "We enter the never never land of the Immigration and Nationality Act, where plain words don't always mean what they say."

Furthermore deponent sayeth not.