British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Question about State ID Cards and i1751 interview (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/question-about-state-id-cards-i1751-interview-924745/)

MaddiGibbs May 6th 2019 1:17 am

Question about State ID Cards and i1751 interview

Evening!
Update... Its been 10 months almost since husband (US citizen) and I filed our i751 and we've still heard nothing since my biometrics appointment in Sept 2018.

Ive also had to send off for my UK passport (it expires 7th May 2019) and before I did, I made copies of said passport, marriage certificate (these originals had to be sent to the UK passport office so I can get my new passport) and got a State ID Card... I know State ID Cards are OK to use at USCIS support centres but my question is what about actual USCIS application centres?? They all seem to need government issued photo ID's...

What happens if by some miracle USCIS send us an interview request and I can't attend as my new passport isn't here yet? Do they allow rescheduling? Or will a State Card be enough?

I'm all in a tizzy over this, I feel vulnerable enough as it is without my passport right now!

I waited, hoping to hear at least something back about our case but nothing and I couldn't wait any longer.

Does anyone know? I'd greatly appreciate any reassurance or information right now

Thank you kindly
-M
​​​

Pulaski May 6th 2019 2:52 am

Re: Question about State ID Cards and i1751 interview

States have governments too. ;)

"Government issued ID" just means that it isn't privately issued, such as a company ID, a union card, or a college ID. A state-issued ID is a government issued ID. :nod:

MaddiGibbs May 6th 2019 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12679790)
States have governments too. ;)

"Government issued ID" just means that it isn't privately issued, such as a company ID, a union card, or a college ID. A state-issued ID is a government issued ID. :nod:

Well, that's certainly good news..thank you. Feel a bit silly now..

​​​​​Oddly enough, my State ID has 'not for federal identification' written on it (this is also on my husband's Drivers Licence) so that confuses me a little, too. We are in NC I think other places have the same print typed on them...

I think its to do with the new REAL IDs coming out next year...

Pulaski May 6th 2019 3:28 am

Originally Posted by MaddiGibbs (Post 12679795)
Well, that's certainly good news..thank you. Feel a bit silly now..

​​​​​Oddly enough, my State ID has 'not for federal identification' written on it (this is also on my husband's Drivers Licence) so that confuses me a little, too. We are in NC I think other places have the same print typed on them...

I think its to do with the new REAL IDs coming out next year...

Hmm, that's odd. ... I don't think mine has that on it but I'm glad you brought it up, because my NC license expires on Thursday! :eek:

civilservant May 6th 2019 12:26 pm

I doubt very much this is going to be an issue - the I-751 times are getting longer and longer as the applications continue to stack up. Current posted waiting time at all field offices is 23-45 months :huh:

Even the processing centers are all taking over a year.

Rete May 6th 2019 12:35 pm

Maddi

The renewal of your UK passport shouldn't take longer than 10 days as reported by most Brits here who have recently renewed their passports through the mail from the US.

Also the I-751 doesn't usually call for an interview. Unless your evidence was skimpy or questionable, you probably won't have an interview but be approved out of hand. As noted, the timeline for removal of conditions is at less 18 to 36 months. If you wanted to naturalize, you can do that even if the I-751 has not been adjudicated. It usually forces the adjudication of the I-751 since it needs to be completed before you naturalize. Did you not receive an I-797C that shows the validity of your status for 2 years once you sent off your I-751?

In the future, perhaps you can post your questions in the marriage-based forum. Even questions in regards to naturalizing since your eligibility is based on marriage to a US Citizen.