Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Question about accidental omission on N400 form

Question about accidental omission on N400 form

Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:26 pm

special ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to all
Default Question about accidental omission on N400 form

I had my naturalization interview on Tuesday and was approved, oath ceremony is Monday. So far so good. I was reading around the forum after I posted on here and I saw a couple of posts about disclosing traffic violations in the 'have your ever been arrested, detained or otherwise cited' question on the application and in the interview. I did not know that included traffic violations - I have received two over the last 5 years (one was a red-light camera issued by city of chicago, the other a ticket for not going straight ahead when a sign on a side street said right turn only, issued in oak Park PD, Illinois). The thing is, I've already had my naturalization interview, so I've missed the opportunity to disclose this error, I'm getting sworn in Monday. What should I do, I'm getting paranoid about the mistake being discovered and my naturalization being revoked.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about accidental omission on N400 form

Originally Posted by special ed
I'm getting sworn in Monday. What should I do...
Do nothing. Enjoy your ceremony.

I'm getting paranoid about the mistake being discovered and my naturalization being revoked.
Your citizenship can be revoked only if you were later found to have been ineligible in the first place. Forgetting to disclose a couple of traffic tickets doesn't meet the necessary threshhold.

Ian
Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:56 pm

special ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Do nothing. Enjoy your ceremony.

Your citizenship can be revoked only if you were later found to have been ineligible in the first place. Forgetting to disclose a couple of traffic tickets doesn't meet the necessary threshhold.

Ian
Thank you so much. It's taken so long to get here that I can't believe its finally over!!
Old Dec 19th 2009, 9:53 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

ian why is it that I have been told to disclose the red light incident that happened to me if its not necessary
Old Dec 19th 2009, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
ian why is it that I have been told to disclose the red light incident that happened to me if its not necessary
I'm guessing it's because, IIRC, you were still filling out the N-400. This guy already had the interview and had the Oath ceremony scheduled *before* he remembered the incident.

Edit - just so folks don't get the wrong idea, it's probably good to mention that the incident involved a red traffic light... not that you were in a "red light" district!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Dec 19th 2009 at 1:28 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 1:53 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm guessing it's because, IIRC, you were still filling out the N-400. This guy already had the interview and had the Oath ceremony scheduled *before* he remembered the incident.

Edit - just so folks don't get the wrong idea, it's probably good to mention that the incident involved a red traffic light... not that you were in a "red light" district!

Ian

Cheers
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

alina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nice

Hello everybody,
I was always under impression that you answer yes to this question because you were cited by the police, so you have to disclose you traffic violation in this case (like I will disclose my speeding ticket when I was stopped by police)
Once I did not come to a comlete stop while turning right on red and I got in few weeks a letter with the amount I had to pay because the camera was there. So anyway I was not cited by the police and I was not going to disclose it on my application.
from what I read now here it looks like I have to disclose my red light ticket, but why?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alina97
Hello everybody,
I was always under impression that you answer yes to this question because you were cited by the police, so you have to disclose you traffic violation in this case (like I will disclose my speeding ticket when I was stopped by police)
Once I did not come to a comlete stop while turning right on red and I got in few weeks a letter with the amount I had to pay because the camera was there. So anyway I was not cited by the police and I was not going to disclose it on my application.
from what I read now here it looks like I have to disclose my red light ticket, but why?
I guess it depends on what you think a citation is.

Dictionary definition : (n) citation (a summons that commands the appearance of a party at a proceeding)

Did your letter give a date for a court appearance? ( It may have also given alternatives such as traffic school).
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

I was not cited by the police...
This is *NOT* the criteria. The question reads: Have you ever been cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer. Note the comma (,) after the word cited. These are two separate requirements. 1) Have you ever been cited? 2) Have you ever been detained by any law enforcement officer.

Whether a law enforcement officer actually gave you the citation or not doesn't matter. You received a citation in the mail even if you were not detained by a law enforcement officer.

Ian
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Zonie
I guess it depends on what you think a citation is.
No... we humble folk do not get to interpret the word "citation".

Ian
Old Dec 21st 2009, 4:44 am

Hello everybody,
Alina, Ian is correct check this thread out http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=643086
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

alina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Alina, Ian is correct check this thread out http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=643086
That's Ok. I trust Ian, I will put it on my application as well I'm glad I clarify that.