Query from the US Embassy

Old Sep 13th 2008, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Back2TheUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Query from the US Embassy

Thanks again, Tracy ... I appreciate that and since (as you might be able to tell) I live, work and sometimes sleep whilst online, once my circumstances improve and we get to the end of our journey, I'll definitely try to put back in what I get out of this board.

And now, off to pack for my own pleasure trip tomorrow, not on Alitalia, to Barcelona in Spain. Jaunting around Europe is one of the little pleasure I might actually miss about living in the UK, should I ever move back to the US.

Cheers once more,

Jeremy
Old Sep 13th 2008, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Back2TheUSA
And now, off to pack for my own pleasure trip tomorrow, not on Alitalia, to Barcelona in Spain.
Hi:

I had wondered about the shift in language! You answered my unspoken question!

J Fong, his partner Eileen Chun and I are all consumate professionals and WE often say "WTF!?" or some such and scratch our collective heads.

Have a good trip.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Sep 13th 2008 at 8:43 pm. Reason: comment on WTF reaction of lawyers.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Back2TheUSA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
If the "copy" you have has an embossed seal on it, then that is the certified copy of your wife's divorce decree. Does the decree show any filing marks, i.e court data, record data?

Since you already mailed a second copy (a better one apparently since the seal is evident on the last copy sent) you have to wait until you hear back from them. You will if it is not acceptable.

That is one thing I always liked to stress to people when making copies of officially filed documents, be sure the filing marks are visible.
Well, whatever the reason for the London USCIS folks requesting additional evidence, my actions apparently were correct. I sent another copy - made on the exact same "all-in-one" copier - as requested on 13th September. "They" seemed to be happy with that, since the postman delivered a Notice of Approval yesterday, 20th September.

I'm thinking that the original document was just missed amongst all the other documents I sent originally. Last week, I had a friend in Pennsylvania visit the courthouse, get two copies of whatever information was available and courier it to me. $50 later, I now have two further copies of the same info, so I'm still unclear about the difference between what I sent (twice) to USCIS and what the "certified copy" really means. My friend in PA - also the town "busybody" who knows everyone and everything - apparently also spoke to the judge who signed my wife's original papers divorcing her from her ex, and he said to get the USCIS to contact to him if they had any further questions.

Fortunately, it's all moot since the petition has been approved, but I do wonder sometimes whether USCIS would benefit from a short "business process re-engineering" exercise, something I'm tutoring at a UK university

Thanks again for all the advice received in connection with this - and now, I need to turn my attention to explaining to the IRS why we don't owe any tax from 2002! Just another hurdle in this fascinating race to the finish ...
Old Sep 21st 2008, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Back2TheUSA
Well, whatever the reason for the London USCIS folks requesting additional evidence, my actions apparently were correct. I sent another copy - made on the exact same "all-in-one" copier - as requested on 13th September. "They" seemed to be happy with that, since the postman delivered a Notice of Approval yesterday, 20th September.

I'm thinking that the original document was just missed amongst all the other documents I sent originally. Last week, I had a friend in Pennsylvania visit the courthouse, get two copies of whatever information was available and courier it to me. $50 later, I now have two further copies of the same info, so I'm still unclear about the difference between what I sent (twice) to USCIS and what the "certified copy" really means. My friend in PA - also the town "busybody" who knows everyone and everything - apparently also spoke to the judge who signed my wife's original papers divorcing her from her ex, and he said to get the USCIS to contact to him if they had any further questions.

Fortunately, it's all moot since the petition has been approved, but I do wonder sometimes whether USCIS would benefit from a short "business process re-engineering" exercise, something I'm tutoring at a UK university

Thanks again for all the advice received in connection with this - and now, I need to turn my attention to explaining to the IRS why we don't owe any tax from 2002! Just another hurdle in this fascinating race to the finish ...
Congratulations!

A certified copy are the two you have. Apparently they chose to accept just xerox copy ( ). It's good to have a couple certified copies in any case - on some occasions you might need one, and it's good to have a spare in case you ever have to send one off.