Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Proof Of Citizenship (Hoping to avoid N-565)

Proof Of Citizenship (Hoping to avoid N-565)

Old Mar 15th 2021, 3:21 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof Of Citizenship (Hoping to avoid N-565)

Originally Posted by Rete
You're right, you don't. Things have changed since I first registered to vote back in 1966. All you need to do now is get a driver's license and click the box. Great way to ensure voter fraud. Stupid ass country of mine.
You make it sound like getting a DL as easy as buying pack of gum... in CT at least you have to supply 2 forms if ID including 1 from this lis below:
PRIMARY document list
US born
  • US or US Territory Birth Certificate or Registration of Birth (Hospital issued and Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 not acceptable; foreign place of birth see Non-US Born)
  • US Passport or Passport Card
Non-US born
  • US Passport or Passport Card
  • Foreign Passport w/ supporting documents (See Legal Presence noted below)*
  • Certificate of Naturalization*
  • Certificate of Citizenship*
  • Permanent Resident Card*
  • US Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Issued by the Department of State)
https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Licenses/L...Identification
Old Mar 15th 2021, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

In NJ we have the 6 points of ID which is a right nightmare for everyone: https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/lice...posterpint.pdf
Old Mar 15th 2021, 4:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
Falsely asserting US Citizenship is an immigration death-sentence though.
Known first hand here as husband's nephew who has Native Status in Canada didn't know what to check on the I-9 so he checked US citizen. Can back to haunt him and he was deported and banned from ever entering the US again.

You cite concerns about voter fraud, so do you have any evidence that significant numbers of foreign nationals are falsely claiming US Citizenship on their license applications purely for the purposes of voting?
No, I do not. Do you evidence that show it is or isn't being done?

I'd be surprised if it was something that any more than a tiny handful of people had inadvertently done without realizing - most people know that falsely claiming Citizenship and illegal voting are two things that you must never ever do.
You are far more trusting than I am. I would not be surprised if this is done regularly by illegals with false papers or in states that allow them to get a license without USCIS documentation.

Here is a link to registering to vote online. https://www.eac.gov/sites/default/fi...ration_ENG.pdf

As noted no proof of US citizen is required. A birth certificate, driver's license and social security number only.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 4:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing was required in NYS when I originally obtained my license other than my birth certificate and a bill from a utility showing my address.

Yes, husband had to show his green card at the time he got his NYS license in 1998.

Why do people think it is difficult to get phony documents.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 4:09 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by postbox134
In NJ we have the 6 points of ID which is a right nightmare for everyone: https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/lice...posterpint.pdf

Why is this a nightmare?
Old Mar 15th 2021, 4:19 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing was required in NYS when I originally obtained my license other than my birth certificate and a bill from a utility showing my address.

Yes, husband had to show his green card at the time he got his NYS license in 1998.

Was it a birth certificate from a US state? If it was you would be a citizen. Since many Americans don’t have a passport, what else would everyone have if they did not have a lisence or state ID yet? A DL is probably the first official photo ID many USC get. The SSN is probably a good check that the name matches the database and that should also have Citizenship status on file.

Last edited by tht; Mar 15th 2021 at 4:25 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
I'd be surprised if it was something that any more than a tiny handful of people had inadvertently done without realizing - most people know that falsely claiming Citizenship and illegal voting are two things that you must never ever do.
It is not necessarily a case of falsely claiming citizenship. When I applied for my first driver license I had to argue that I was NOT entitled to be on the voter register. They insisted that there was no problem "checking that box" and I had to insist on speaking to a supervisor to ensure that I was not erroneously put on the voter register.
Old Mar 16th 2021, 1:29 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Known first hand here as husband's nephew who has Native Status in Canada didn't know what to check on the I-9 so he checked US citizen. Can back to haunt him and he was deported and banned from ever entering the US again.
BTW, if by “native” you mean “First Nation” (in Canada-speak) he might want to look at Matter of Yellow Quill. An interesting case.

BTW, in 2019 my wallet was stolen and I had to obtain a new driver’s license under RealID. I had difficulty because I lost my SSN card long ago and all correspondence with SSN there on is limited to last four digits these days. Even the 1099 from Social Security showing reception of benefits did not have he full number on it. Fortunately, we keep our tax records and DMV accepted bank interest 1099 forms from 15 years back. That is the only time I have ever had to produce proof of my number.
Old Mar 16th 2021, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

That’s no longer the case in NYS. When I got my learner’s permit 5-6 years ago it was “six points” of ID, utility bill for my address and I had to present my Social Security Card (which I’d lost, so I had to go to the SSA to get a new one first).

When I naturalized in 2017 it coincided with needing to renew my DL, so I decided to upgrade to the Enhanced DL to have proof of citizenship that I could carry. That required “six points, again, and a utility bill, again, plus my naturalization cert. I brought my SSC as well but that was not necessary as they’d kept it “on file”. I think I’m right in saying that next time I’ll be eligible to renew by mail. I think...
Old Mar 16th 2021, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
It is not necessarily a case of falsely claiming citizenship. When I applied for my first driver license I had to argue that I was NOT entitled to be on the voter register. They insisted that there was no problem "checking that box" and I had to insist on speaking to a supervisor to ensure that I was not erroneously put on the voter register.
My experience was very similar. Moved to a new city whilst still a GC holder and toddled off to get my DL updated (I could have changed the address online but I decided a change of photo was in order). The assistant was adamant I should check the box for the voter registration and said she would “take care of the voter registration” for me. It took a lot of stern words from me that I absolutely did not consent to this because I was not eligible. I know she was trying to be helpful and she’s probably being told by her boss to do this but it would be more helpful if someone could tell DMV employees that being licensed to drive in this country does not mean you are eligible to vote.
Old Mar 16th 2021, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Until such time as you have a US passport, the naturalisation certificate is the only definitive proof you have that you are a US citizen.

Would suggest the OP bites the bullet as gets a new certificate and then applies for a passport.

How does he expect to get back into the US without a US passport? A UK passport holder requires an ESTA - a US citizen cannot apply for this.
So, he does not even get onto the plane back to the US?
Old Mar 16th 2021, 7:22 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Until such time as you have a US passport, the naturalisation certificate is the only definitive proof you have that you are a US citizen.

Would suggest the OP bites the bullet as gets a new certificate and then applies for a passport.

How does he expect to get back into the US without a US passport? A UK passport holder requires an ESTA - a US citizen cannot apply for this.
So, he does not even get onto the plane back to the US?
You are correct, of course.
Just chaps my ass that the fee is so high.
I have a copy of the Naturalization Certificate but alas that doesn't meet any RealID criteria.
Old Mar 16th 2021, 10:57 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
BTW, if by “native” you mean “First Nation” (in Canada-speak) he might want to look at Matter of Yellow Quill. An interesting case.

BTW, in 2019 my wallet was stolen and I had to obtain a new driver’s license under RealID. I had difficulty because I lost my SSN card long ago and all correspondence with SSN there on is limited to last four digits these days. Even the 1099 from Social Security showing reception of benefits did not have he full number on it. Fortunately, we keep our tax records and DMV accepted bank interest 1099 forms from 15 years back. That is the only time I have ever had to produce proof of my number.
If you wish to quibble, then First Nation. He is 45% Mohawk. And yes, we looked this up back in the day that this was happening. Thanks.
Old Mar 16th 2021, 11:00 pm
Concierge

BTW my birth certificate was issued by the Department of State as I was born in Germany.
Old Mar 16th 2021, 11:03 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

If you wish to quibble, then First Nation. He is 45% Mohawk. And yes, we looked this up back in the day that this was happening. Thanks.
Wasn't quibbling. But <sigh>, 45% less than 50%. So, no cigar. I do wonder why INS wanted an order of deportation even knowing it would be an idle act.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.