Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Proof Of Citizenship (Hoping to avoid N-565)

Proof Of Citizenship (Hoping to avoid N-565)

Old May 5th 2020, 3:16 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proof Of Citizenship (Hoping to avoid N-565)

Hello all - haven't posted in a while.
Became a US Citizen in October 2017 but am now being asked for proof.
Hunted high and low for my paperwork and all I found was a hokey certificate from my local Congressman's Office (which at least showed the date of the ceremony).
I do have my new SS card which doesn't have the "Work with INS authorization" on it.

Am I going mad? Is my new SS card enough support that I am now a US Citizen?
Really don't want to fork over $555 for a replacement Naturalization Form
Old May 5th 2020, 3:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof Of Citizenship (Hoping to avoid N-565)

Who's asking? ..... And you realize that [1] you need a US passport to travel (back) into the US, and [2] you need the original naturalization certificate to apply for a US passport?
Old May 5th 2020, 3:30 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Indiana Dept of Workforce Development - they still had me down as an Alien with my A# on my profile. I'm on a few weeks furlough from my main job.
Looked at my benefits today and "Alien Status" is flagged as an issue.

1) I guess they haven't asked me for anything yet as I've been on hold for over an hour
2) they might just be asking for clarification
3) I *tried* to correct it from Alien to Citizen in my original application on the IN DWD site but it kept saying "no new information"

I was thinking I handed something over at the SS office when getting my new card and was hoping it wasn't my Naturalization Cert.
Old May 5th 2020, 3:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Your SSN is not proof of US Citizenship, no.

Your US Passport would be proof.

Rene
Old May 5th 2020, 3:33 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

K. Thanks for the confirmation.
I didn't get a US passport at the time.

I guess I'll keep looking.
Old May 5th 2020, 3:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

SSA did not keep your naturalization certificate when you updated your status with them to indicate you were a USC. BTW the work authorization legend had/has nothing to do with citizenship. It was or should have been removed when you received your green card.

Are you registered to vote in federal elections? If so, you needed to show your naturalization certificate at that time to prove your right to vote. See if you can get a copy of your voter's registration card.
Old May 5th 2020, 3:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Indiana Dept of Workforce Development - they still had me down as an Alien with my A# on my profile. I'm on a few weeks furlough from my main job.

1) I guess they haven't asked me for anything yet as I've been on hold for over an hour
3) I *tried* to correct it from Alien to Citizen in my original application on the IN DWD site but it kept saying "no new information"

I was thinking I handed something over at the SS office when getting my new card and was hoping it wasn't my Naturalization Cert.
If you don't have a US passport already, you're going to need a new naturalization certification (from the INS, not a "hokey" one) in order to get a passport if you can't find the original, assuming that you ever want to leave the US (and return again).
Old May 5th 2020, 3:58 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

Thanks again all!
Old May 5th 2020, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

What benefits are you getting? There should be no difference between permanent residents and citizens with regards to unemployment benefits. Are they asking you to prove your alien status and you can't because you don't have your green card anymore?
Old Mar 15th 2021, 1:03 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you don't have a US passport already, you're going to need a new naturalization certification (from the INS, not a "hokey" one) in order to get a passport if you can't find the original, assuming that you ever want to leave the US (and return again).

Me again. So I didn't need to prove my Citizenship for the unemployment benefits listed further up the thread, but I do need it for this RealID thingy coming up on October 1st 2021 if I want to use my DL to fly domestically. Have to get my DL renewed before August. Still haven't found my Naturalization Certificate yet - guess I need to hunt high(er) and low(er).

Has the replacement fee always been so fricking high?? $555 seems bonkers.

Another option - get a new UK passport. £86 plus a £19.86 courier fee. (lets call it $150) This would allow me to leave the US and return again.
Then get a Driver's License that isn't "RealID Compliant" but I can live with that if it means saving 400 knicker. Jesus.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 1:16 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

Originally Posted by Rete
Are you registered to vote in federal elections? If so, you needed to show your naturalization certificate at that time to prove your right to vote.
That’s not true.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 1:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That’s not true.
You're right, you don't. Things have changed since I first registered to vote back in 1966. All you need to do now is get a driver's license and click the box. Great way to ensure voter fraud. Stupid ass country of mine.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Another option - get a new UK passport. £86 plus a £19.86 courier fee. (lets call it $150) This would allow me to leave the US and return again.
US citizens are required to use US passports to enter or leave the USA.
Old Mar 15th 2021, 2:34 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
US citizens are required to use US passports to enter or leave the USA.
That is true on paper.. in practice it may be different, that said the 1 attempt I have witnessed was someone with a foreign passport and their N-550, so in the OP’s case assuming they could get on the plane (with CV19 they would not) what are they going use to prove they are a USC at the boarder, if they never applied for a US passport will CBP even be able to look them up?
Old Mar 15th 2021, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
All you need to do now is get a driver's license and click the box. Great way to ensure voter fraud. Stupid ass country of mine.
Falsely asserting US Citizenship is an immigration death-sentence though.

You cite concerns about voter fraud, so do you have any evidence that significant numbers of foreign nationals are falsely claiming US Citizenship on their license applications purely for the purposes of voting?

I'd be surprised if it was something that any more than a tiny handful of people had inadvertently done without realizing - most people know that falsely claiming Citizenship and illegal voting are two things that you must never ever do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.