Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Processing times updated on website (US Embassy London, DHS)

Processing times updated on website (US Embassy London, DHS)

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

broma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nice
Default Re: Processing times updated on website (US Embassy London, DHS)

Originally posted by mstracy
I could have done with a bit of luck it seems.. lol

I got an RFE! Luckily it's not too serious.

Here we go.....

The day started badly as although I got up on time, just about everything I did seemed to have a problem associated with it and consequently, I was late for the train I was trying to catch. As I live in North London, I thought I could catch the 6:24 to London and have plenty of time to cross London by tube... wrong! By the time I got to the station, the next train was almost 3/4 of an hour after the one I wanted. So, I ran home and jumped on my motorcycle instead. The journey in to the city was OK, if rather hot and I arrived at the embassy at 7:59 having foud an empty space in the motorcycle parking bay at the other end of Grosvenor Square. I joined the line for immigration ( there were 3 lines, 1 for non-immigrant visas, 1 for US citizen services and the one for immigrant visas). We were processed within about 5 minutes through the security cabin an allowed inside. Just as I got in there, I realised I had forgotten to bring my £10 in cash for the courier (I told you I was having a bad day). I was told that there was a cash machine around the corner and that I should let the man in front of the security cabin where I was going... so off I went. % mins later, I returned with cash and was let through security a second time but this time no wait. I walked around the building to the far side to find the way to the immigrant visa section which I note, is not marked. I was directed to the courier counter to purchase my envelope and then on to the immigrant visa section. I was amazed at how many seats there are in there and how few people. I walked to booth 1 to let them know I was there and was seen after a few minutes. The guy checked my interview letter, my passport and the photo's I had brought. As today is the official switch over from ADIT to passport style photo's they would accept either. I had brought all the photos I had lying around most of which were ADIT but I had 3 passport style left over from where I renewed my passport last week. He said they were fine and told me to wait. I'm not entirely sure what the order of calling was, but everyone who was in there before me and a few that came after were seen before I was. I thought for a little while that they had forgotten me or something but eventually I was called and went to the counter where I saw an oriental lady. Firstly she wanted the payment and got me to fill in a credit card payment form which she sent to the payments department downstairs. I know it's downstairs as she told me twice that the man downstairs doesn't like it if you get the card number wrong as he has to walk all the way upstairs to correct it (and that happened twice last week!). She didn't ask for my paperwork in order, in fact she kept asking for stuff I'd already given her. She didn't like the affadavit of support from my wife and didn't seem to understand the one from my father-in-law but eventually she seemed to get the paper under control and scribbled some notes on the form she was filling in. She told me that I needed to supply lots of things and then sent me to sit down to wait for my interview. I went to sit down and tried to sort the disarray of paperwork I had left in my folder, but as soon as I was seated, she called me up again to give me the receipt from my payment. I was called for the interview some time later. I don't really know how long each wait was as I tried not to look at my watch. The guy that interviewed me was much more together and pleasant. He explained that I would need to get my father-in-law to fax his passport and 2003 tax return to me and I would then need to send them in with my passport for the visa (as long as I passed the medical). So, it was off to see the good Doctor... As I was last of the group out of the visa section, I was last in to the doctors (well I shouldn't have been, but someone didn't show for their interview or medical it seems). Everyone there was nice and friendly but it was hot and humid inside. The process was quite simple although the instructions sounded complex. First submit your doccuments to the receptionist, then wait.... Then make your payment, take your paperwork downstairs, put it in the holder on the wall and wait.... there was a fan downstairs and I was glad of it! I was on my own in the downstairs waiting area as I was the last one for the day. After a short while, I was taken to have the blood taken for the test, then returned to the waiting room to wait..... then I was taken to the changing area to remove my shirt and I waitied there and after a while was taken to have my forms checked through, my blood pressure checked and my chest listened to and to be poked and prodded a bit around my stomach and sides. I didn't have to wait long for the x-ray after which I put my shirt back on and went back to the downstairs waiting room. The x-ray did take a little while to develop, but once that was checked, I was presented with it and told to return at 1:30. I went to get some lunch and made it back at about 1:10 along with a coupe of others. Although we were early, the results were in and we were all told everything OK and we could go.

So that's about it for now. I called my mother-in-law a little while ago and she's organising the paperwork which I should have soon. Sorry it's so long but if there was something I learned, it was that I should have got a hotel room so I could have been there on time without the added stress.. lol

Mark
I have a question, from reading your experience it seems that your father in law was your joint sponsor. If this is so, could you clarify that he sent you the original notarized I-864, but were his supporting documents original or photocopied and were they notarized or not.

I ask because my sister in law over in the US is my joint sponsor and I am not sure whether I need to tell her that any supporting evidence needs to be original or can be photocopies, and also whether she needs to get those notorized or not. I dont think its a good idea that she sends her original birth certificate, tax returns etc.

If you could clarify these points I would be grateful.

Thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mstracy

Here we go.....

The day started badly as although I got up on time, just about everything I did seemed to have a problem associated with it
[QUOTE]

Hi Mark

Awwwwwww shucks!!! So sorry to hear of your bad day.
At least that RFE is easily remedied though, and you'll have the visa soon, with the interview etc behind you.

You've been so helpful to everyone else on here....it's such a shame that things went wrong for YOU !!!

Hope it's all plain sailing from now on for you, Mark !

Ann
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 5:17 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by broma25
I have a question, from reading your experience it seems that your father in law was your joint sponsor. If this is so, could you clarify that he sent you the original notarized I-864, but were his supporting documents original or photocopied and were they notarized or not.

I ask because my sister in law over in the US is my joint sponsor and I am not sure whether I need to tell her that any supporting evidence needs to be original or can be photocopies, and also whether she needs to get those notorized or not. I dont think its a good idea that she sends her original birth certificate, tax returns etc.

Thanks
i also used my sister in law as a co sponser, i took with me an original notorised I-864 and copies or tax returns and copies of birth cert - which all were acceptable, its best to make multiple copies of everything too.

Ant
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 5:20 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go.....

Mark
Mark,

sorry to hear things didnt run very smoothly for you, what does RFE stand for? - so once you have your aditional paperwork do you have to go back down for another interview? - well hopefuly its just a slight delay by the sound of things? - keep us informed!!

Ant
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

broma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nice

Originally posted by antjen
i also used my sister in law as a co sponser, i took with me an original notorised I-864 and copies or tax returns and copies of birth cert - which all were acceptable, its best to make multiple copies of everything too.

Ant
Thanks for that, I find this site so useful its untrue!!!!

I have learned more from this site that the official US embassy website, I guess as we are all going through very similar experiences, and the embassy tries to explain all cases.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Ant

Did she get the supporting evidence notarized or just the I-864?
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 6:20 pm
US resident at last :)

mstracy is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dimsie
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mstracy

Here we go.....

The day started badly as although I got up on time, just about everything I did seemed to have a problem associated with it

Hi Mark

Awwwwwww shucks!!! So sorry to hear of your bad day.
At least that RFE is easily remedied though, and you'll have the visa soon, with the interview etc behind you.

You've been so helpful to everyone else on here....it's such a shame that things went wrong for YOU !!!

Hope it's all plain sailing from now on for you, Mark !

Ann

Never mind... It's one of the problems of respecting someones privacy. It says on the form that a co-sponsor can seal the envelope, so when my father-in-law sent the info through, I didn't open it and check it. I guess I should have. Still, the missing information was faxed to me earlier by my mother-in-law and I've already posted it out to the embassy with my passport. I hope to receive the visa this week.

Mark
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 6:29 pm

Thanks
So far as I am aware, supporting doccuments can all be copies as long as they are notarized (it is important that copies should be notarized) although as another option, disposable originals can be obtained (tax transcripts, copy birth certificates etc).

Mark
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 6:37 pm

Mark,

sorry to hear things didnt run very smoothly for you, what does RFE stand for? - so once you have your aditional paperwork do you have to go back down for another interview? - well hopefuly its just a slight delay by the sound of things? - keep us informed!!

Ant

Request Further Evidence. I have posted (special delivery) a faxed copy of the 2003 tax returns (he was rather enthusiastic about supporting me and sent me the affadavit of support way back in February when he hadn't submitted the 2003 tax return)and photo page of my father-in-laws passport as requested. I was told at the embassy that as soon as they receive the missing doccuments, they would process the visa and send it out to me, so no further interview. I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything. At least I know I'm healthy

Mark
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 7:45 pm
Just me!

Did she get the supporting evidence notarized or just the I-864?
i didnt get any supporting evidence notorised - the tax returns and W2's were copies and i had a july payslip (original)

Ant
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

i didnt get any supporting evidence notorised - the tax returns and W2's were copies and i had a july payslip (original)

Ant
Thank you, that clarifies that then!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

So far as I am aware, supporting doccuments can all be copies as long as they are notarized (it is important that copies should be notarized) although as another option, disposable originals can be obtained (tax transcripts, copy birth certificates etc).

Mark
Now i am confused, Antjen said they dont need to be notarized. I guess I will have to wait and see if they accept them un-notarized at my interview.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 10:04 pm
Just me!

Now i am confused, Antjen said they dont need to be notarized. I guess I will have to wait and see if they accept them un-notarized at my interview.
sorry to confuse you - the original I 864 from my co sponser was notorised plus i produced copies, if thats any clearer? - if in doubt try emailing the embassy for clarifacation - and peace of mind!

Ant
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

sorry to confuse you - the original I 864 from my co sponser was notorised plus i produced copies, if thats any clearer? - if in doubt try emailing the embassy for clarifacation - and peace of mind!

Ant
I know that the I-864 must be an original notarized form which I can then copy.

My sister in law will also need to send me tax returns,birth cert etc, as proof of what she has stated on the I-864. What I need to know is does she have to send me the originals as proof or can she send me copies. If copies are acceptable do they have to be notarized.

Sorry for the confusion but I want to make sure she sends what I need.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

half-pint is on a distinguished road

Request Further Evidence. I have posted (special delivery) a faxed copy of the 2003 tax returns (he was rather enthusiastic about supporting me and sent me the affadavit of support way back in February when he hadn't submitted the 2003 tax return)and photo page of my father-in-laws passport as requested. I was told at the embassy that as soon as they receive the missing doccuments, they would process the visa and send it out to me, so no further interview. I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything. At least I know I'm healthy

Mark
Mark - shame it didn't go as smoothly as you would have liked. You got through the big bits though and just have to send in some extra information...so I will say CONGRATULATIONS anyway!

For everyone else who is reading, nothing through the post as of yet. I am now in Newcastle living with my mum until I get my visa...oh joy! Hopefully I should hear something by the end of the week otherwise I'll be emailing them on Friday.

Why is it 10 degrees cooler in Newcastle than Essex?...sigh.

Ellie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.